What would you all think of purse art?

AprilA

O.G.
Apr 13, 2010
I would call myself an artist of sorts. Or maybe just creative, I don't know. But I have these older bags that sit and don't get a lot of use because I have fun new ones. Sometimes I sell them off so I can buy more bags. Kinda addicted. I had this bright idea while waking up the other day. I thought it might be fun to take those older bags, like a vintage cream colored Coach turnlock bag that has seen better days and has a few spots on the leather, and doing some fun and funky art on the bag. I have an old worn Louis and a gucci that I thought might be fun to cut pieces from to make a layered applique on the Coach bag. It would be kind of pop art stuff. They wouldn't be the expensive, luxury bags they once were, but they wouldn't be garbage either. Thoughts?

Fun, artistic, funky??? Or just tacky?

Don't be sorry! I asked for opinions and thoughts and I didn't mean just ones that agreed with me. :smile: I do see the tacky potential. For some reason though I also see the bag love potential! :smile: How fun would it be to sew a Louis Vuitton flower onto a jean skirt? I'm not talking high fashion or upscale 5th ave. Just fun 'bag love' like the peace signs of the hippie days! Just dreaming, really. Chocolate, creating and bags...what else is there in life? HA!

I think (being an artist/creative type myself) - depending on what you did with it, it has the potential to be incredible and special. I always like to give things a new lease of life! Why keep three old bags you're bored of just because they're designer if you feel you would love your one new personalised bag?

If you're not desperate for the money you'd make if you sold them, and feel you'd love and get use out of your creation I say go for it!

Good luck making a decision :smile:

i don't like mixing brands not even in art. like for instance i think the beauty of the lv art when they construct the animals is that its cohesive, but painting them cool be a cool artwork instead of cutting them up?

I painted an orchid on a vintage (1950s) bag a few years ago because I thought the bag was great but a bit boring, while I was happy with it now I wish I'd left it as it was because I can appreciate the beauty of the original simplicity :girlsigh:

...I thought it might be fun to take those older bags, like a vintage cream colored Coach turnlock bag that has seen better days and has a few spots on the leather, and doing some fun and funky art on the bag. I have an old worn Louis and a gucci that I thought might be fun to cut pieces from to make a layered applique on the Coach bag...

As a creative type and artist (see avatar, my work) I think this is a wonderful idea. Because you would use pieces of material from other bags, nobody but you would have any idea what it took to create the one piece of wearable art. Although - if something like it ended up in a gallery, you could certainly have a descriptive card or photo of 'what what into this piece'. Heck, it probably wouldn't be recognizable as a Coach, per se ... but if it's one of their older bags, your 'art' would certainly have good bones, eh... :biggrin:

I think this a rather edgy cool idea - but, not if you plan to carry the bag - then I go with tacky.

If it is an actual piece of art, then I really like the potential for deconstructing the bags and repurposing as something unexpected - maybe a vase (a little uncreative, I know, but just thinking out loud and on the spot). I think I would love one if it somehow be repurposed as a bin in my office for paperwork, like receipts and bills - seems a little and cheek - "here's my bills in a bin that essentially caused me to have bills."

Honestly? I think it sounds awesome. If you're a talented artist, as I've seen some TPFers on here, which I'm sure you are, :smile:, then go for it. I would try it out on one bag and see how it sells. But I'm an artsy-craftsy "type," so I don't know if my advice is sound...

It could be tacky or cool, depending on who carries it. Like some pimped LV would look cool with some punk style outfit.
Or it could be supertacky if it shows like too much of wanting to do something special.yikes..

I like my own bags pretty classic, but Ive allways though what happens to those damaged pieces of classic and other designbags? For example a nappaleather chanel, which handles have become too dark, or LV. Some bags are also not in use cause they have bad stains or scratches. It would be good enviromental thing to do to make these bags alive again, like with charms or new parts. Go for it, but if you go, go with style!:amuse: