What to do with my tiny solitaire studs?

MillyT

Dec 4, 2011
Hi I am new to the forum and found myself glued to it all the time... so addictive!

Recently I've been thinking to re-set my 0.5 ctw diamond studs, which were a graduation gift several years ago.They are tiny but really sparkly(E, VS1/2). I used to wear them all the time but then I lost a back and moved on to other earrings. Inspired by a few recycling projects here (all so well done!), I started to ponder the options:

1). have them re-set into bezel setting? but would that still be too small? I also plan to get a 1ctw pair sometime this year.

2). have one set into a DBTY style necklace? but what to do with the other?

3). I have a 1/2 carat solitaire pendant so maybe I can turn them into a 3 stone DBTY necklace?

I am very indecisive so any ideals/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance all you fabulous ladies !

Ooh why don't you have both set into bezel DBTY necklaces and layer them? Or buy a third little diamond and make a 3 station DBTY? They sound like a perfect size for a DBTY project! :smile:

I would bezel them OR get jackets to wear them with. That way when you get larger ones you have a smaller dressier pair.

Ooh why don't you have both set into bezel DBTY necklaces and layer them? Or buy a third little diamond and make a 3 station DBTY? They sound like a perfect size for a DBTY project! :smile:

Thanks balenciaga it's good to know bezel looks much bigger !
i vote for option 3! but if you are wondering, they are not too small to be bezel set for earrings...i have .5 ctw bezel set studs and they actually look a lot bigger.

Thanks ladies. Seems now that I can narrow down to Bezel earrings or 3 station dbty necklace. One less choice, yeah!

To make things more complicated, now you all know how constipated I am :smile:, can I link a pair of pearl studs to these to make a pair of pearl drops.

I like the idea of a 3 station DBTY, especially since you have the center 1/2 ct stone already. As SurferGirl posted...perfect size for a DBTY necklace.
If the earrings are not that sentimental, you could always use them to upgrade to the 1 ct pair you want.

Def #3. I reset my small earrings from college graduation the same way with some other lose diamonds I had. It's my Fav necklace, I wear it all the time layered with other necklaces or alone.

Thank you LOveletters, skyqueen, and jujuma !

Now I got most 3station dbty votes so looks like this is the way to go. My only remaining question is that the 1/2 c center stone is only G, SI2, not as sparkly as the small ones. I am a little worried that it'll be overwhelmed by the side stones. Or do you think it won't matter once they are all bezeled?

Thanks to you both! Bezel was my original plan actually... they are in platinum now so if I do bezel I would still do platinum. Is it worth to have 2 pair of studs though, in case I do get a bigger pair later?

I was gonna agree with Ame on the jackets... Or suggest a 3 stone ring but it looks like you already decided! Please show us pics when it's done!

I'd go with having them bezel set in white gold!

i like the idea of a DBTY necklace.

You could:

1) Invest in 1 small diamond that matches your earring diamonds to make the 3 stone DBTY

then

2) Take the 1/2ct G, SI2, earring and match a stone to it and use it for your next set of earrings.

So you'd be buying 1 small diamond and one .5 one (someday) to match your current necklace, rather than a whole new 1ctw pair.

:smile:

Thanks to you both! Bezel was my original plan actually... they are in platinum now so if I do bezel I would still do platinum. Is it worth to have 2 pair of studs though, in case I do get a bigger pair later?

I have four holes in each ear still left open. I like to eaither wear studs in graduating sizes, or hoops on the bottom three and a pair of studs at the top. You can never have too many pair of studs!