How do YOU handle the questions and comments about your LV?

nicolemonroe.

Dec 30, 2010
okay.....so I just purchased a pre-loved mono speedy 35. (and I'm sooo excited!)and none of my friends around can afford the real deal. not like that's a bad thing because, let's be honest, LV is expensive. my friends and I are only 20 years old (I just turned 20). I just feel like, once I start carrying this bag, I'm going to get a lot of crap for it because it's expensive and I'm wasting money blah blah blah. I know I'm going to get lectured by fam and friends and I just really don't want to hear that because I know it will make me self conscious and I'll probably feel bad.:sad:
my question is: how do I handle this? what would you say to a friend/family member who negatively lectured you about buying expensive bags? I just want to feel comfortable carrying my bag around them.

I have the same problem. My mom and dad are super frugal and scold me whenever I buy an expensive bag even though I either pay for it myself, or my husband buys me them as gifts. I just lie about the price and tell my mom not to worry because we're still putting more than half our paychecks into savings every month.

As for friends, I think most of them are too afraid/polite to say anything about it.

omg so weird, yesterday, I went to a clients office (I am an accountant/ Auditor, my client is a non-profit organization) the Program Director looks at be Ebene NF GM and goes "Oh what a beautiful bag.... you must be rich, well of course you are rich you work like 40 hours a day" omg i almost died, i couldnt believe she said that to me haha ... I literally went oh yeah thanks and laughed it off.... meanwhile it made me feel guilty that I had my uggs thrown in them (Had a far walk so switched into heels in the hall) haha i almost died, it was almost embarassing :X , but i typically laugh it off, when ppl say i spend too much, i tell them its an investment and for them to give me examples of something in this economy that you can buy, use for years, and still sell for almost what you paid!!

I will carry my Lv to go out with DH, shopping, to the office and sometimes to friends' house. Never to see a client ( I am an attorney). I do not want to have to hear any comments.... Once, after a comment of a family member about how many LVs I own, I said they wee all fake!!! That shut him up. I think LVs are great but cannot be carried everywhere ... Too bad but I try to avoid situation where comments can be given.....

I got my Speedy when I was 19, my friends joke about me buying expensive things ('princess', 'that could feed a family in Africa for months' etc.) but you just have to laugh it off, I think most of the time people don't mean any harm. I don't let anyone bother me, they can make their comments if they want, but it rolls right off- and when they see it doesn't bother you they normally move on, they're simply looking for a way to make themselves feel better by guilt-tripping you.

If someone tries to tell you you shouldn't be buying these things, just tell them to mind their own business. You don't scold them for what they spend their money on (my friends spend most of their student money going out, buying drinks etc.)- it's each to their own, no one should have to answer to someone else on their spending habits (unless it directly affects them ie. SO, partner).

I got my Speedy when I was 19, my friends joke about me buying expensive things ('princess', 'that could feed a family in Africa for months' etc.) but you just have to laugh it off, I think most of the time people don't mean any harm. I don't let anyone bother me, they can make their comments if they want, but it rolls right off- and when they see it doesn't bother you they normally move on, they're simply looking for a way to make themselves feel better by guilt-tripping you.

If someone tries to tell you you shouldn't be buying these things, just tell them to mind their own business. You don't scold them for what they spend their money on (my friends spend most of their student money going out, buying drinks etc.)- it's each to their own, no one should have to answer to someone else on their spending habits (unless it directly affects them ie. SO, partner).

ITA...I just shrug it off. It's not your problem if someone else is acting in an unpleasant manner just because they can't afford your bag. Their negative opinions don't matter one bit. Once again, I will quote RuPaul: "What other people think of me has nothing to do with me: that's their s**t that they created." If your friends will make nasty remarks to you about a material object, and get an attitude with you about it, then are they really friends? Don't deal with any petty drama that you don't feel like dealing with. Its a waste of your valuable time and energy.

I would just shrug it off, everyone spends their money on something, most people spend the price of a speedy on alcohol/starbucks/cigarettes on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.

I'm not sure if you have heard of Magic the gathering, but its a card based game and some of the cards are quite valuable, most of the people in my circle of friends spend upwards of 1000$ a month on that hobby, so really just live and let live everyone splurges on something :smile:

To be honest, it used to bother me and I wouldn't take my new LV's where I knew that certain people would be. However lately I just think that I work hard, don't drink or smoke and if I want to spend my money on investment pieces then that's my business. The people who make the comments are usually just a bit jealous because they spend their money on other things and sometimes it's things that I wouldn't but I don't make comments to them.

Just live and let live and enjoy your bag.

Sometimes I still feel bad when people say things that are true. A woman at church told me that a lot of people could be fed with the cost of my Trevi PM. This was a true statement. I thought about it though and the same goes for almost everyone. A lot of people could be fed for the money spent on a smoking habit, shoe addiction, jewelry, designer clothing, manicures, pedicures, spa treatments....etc. However, it's nobody's business if you decide to buy an LV bag. Let them make comments. They are probably just envious and hypocritical!

to avoid all the comments stares and what not, if anyone asks just say its a fake and they will just simply shut up! although it may kill you inside to say that, but at least people wont be pestering you asking if it is real or why is the LVs upside down or how come that LV is cut off (the one near the handle) i hate those sort of people who think they know tonnes about everything and anything, but simply dont

I only respond to genuine questions about my bags, the ones that I can tell are from people who actually like it or are interested in the brand. I don't respond at all to catty comments - I won't give those people the satisfaction. And I NEVER discuss how much something cost, unless it's with a friend whom I know also buys luxury bags. Otherwise I find it really crass, and even worse for someone to ask!

I would ignore them and tell they it is none of their business what you spend your money on. You can always say it was a gift from a distant relative. Or tell them that now that you are older and getting out in the real world you have decided to do investment spending and will not buy an item unless you will still be using it for over 5 years time. Point out LV can be a bag you can still use in twenty years. I have bags well over 25 years old still in good condition because I take care of my things.

Some of my friends want LV bags but will not spend the money up front. They can afford it. But they continue to buy inexpensive bags in the 100-150.00 price range a few times a year and these bags keep falling apart on them. So from a dollar point of view they are throwing money out on these bags versus having a well made bag that will last more than a year.

It sounds from your post (correct me if I'm wrong) that you have ONE LV bag and even that was pre-loved.I don't think that justifies a negative comment from anyone, unless they are paying all of your bills.

I do avoid carrying mine around some people rather than risk a negative comment, but a good answer could be 'I bought it used and it didn't cost much' ('much' being a relative term so they might think $50 while the truth might be 90% of retail).