Sad that the Keep All is not for me

CPrincessUK

Caribbean Princess
O.G.
Jul 7, 2011
So I was so excited about receiving my bright red and orchid Keep Alls after reading and looking at all the lovely pictures. I am a Mulberry girl at heart but I wanted to add some other pieces to my collection and I thought PS would do the trick!

However when I received the bags I was so disappointed. I have never been so disappointed in a bag in my life. To be fair I will try to list some good points to start.

Good
- the colour is very deeply saturated in the bag. I chose bright red and orchid and they were both very lush in colour.
- the bag is not completely slouchy. It can hold its shape a bit.
- the shoulder handles are very comfortable
- the style of the bag is rather understated. It does not scream DESIGNER which is nice.
- It is quite spacious (I had the small KA)

Bad
- I felt that the bag felt a bit plasticky/pleathery. I know that the leather must have been treated in some way but I just didn't like the feel of the leather. I am a very tactile person and love to stroke my bags. :cool:
- The red has more of an orangey tint to it. I know it is bright red but it looked almost neon to me. I will need to continue my search for a true red with no orange undertones.
- The smell. I did not like the smell of the bag. It was a bit 'chemical'.
- Nothing about the bag felt LUXURIOUS to me. As I said it did not compare at all to any of my Mulberrys. I found it to be no better than my Michael Kors Hamilton tote which is so much cheaper.

Overall I felt that the bag was overpriced for what it is. I thought about whether I just chose the wrong colours. But I think even if I had received it in midnight or black the feel of the leather and the other points would mean that I still would not like it at all.

It does photograph nicely though and I will just have to enjoy how it looks on others.

Here is an image of the Bright red. I would really love to hear your opinions as well.

P1012328.jpg

Thanks for explaining your opinion on this bag!!! I, for one, really appreciate it. As I said in the other thread, I was contemplating getting this exact bag, but have no way to see before purchasing it (which we all know is so much trouble to re-package, return, wait for refund, etc).

Your description of the leather was particularly interesting. It sounds like the newer leather I saw in the tangerine I purchased (and returned). It felt thin and overly glazed to me. I much prefer the feldspar (mint green) leather from several seasons ago on my PS1. I'm also hesitant to buy now that you said the red has orange undertones. I too don't like orange-y reds, and I think someone like me who is soooo picky about reds really has to see it in person to make the judgment, so I won't be purchasing it online.

I'm sorry neither of the bags worked for you!! I really appreciate you taking the time to write a "review" of the bags!

Thanks for explaining your opinion on this bag!!! I, for one, really appreciate it. As I said in the other thread, I was contemplating getting this exact bag, but have no way to see before purchasing it (which we all know is so much trouble to re-package, return, wait for refund, etc).

Your description of the leather was particularly interesting. It sounds like the newer leather I saw in the tangerine I purchased (and returned). It felt thin and overly glazed to me. I much prefer the feldspar (mint green) leather from several seasons ago on my PS1. I'm also hesitant to buy now that you said the red has orange undertones. I too don't like orange-y reds, and I think someone like me who is soooo picky about reds really has to see it in person to make the judgment, so I won't be purchasing it online.

I'm sorry neither of the bags worked for you!! I really appreciate you taking the time to write a "review" of the bags!

Courtney I am glad if I can prevent someone else from making a similar mistake. The bag has definite orange undertones which I did not pick up so much from online photos. Unfortunately I have lost 15% as I ordered from ****** but it is better than keeping something I do not like.

I think the Bal Coquelicot red is supposed to be a true red but I will not be swiping my credit card until I see that baby in person!!

It is a shame that they seemed to have changed the leather. The leather is called lux leather but there is nothing luxurious about it. At least you got a PS1 when it first came out. I still think the actual design of the bag is lovely.

That's interesting to hear as well. I just got my smoke PS1 and I know what you mean about the leather. It is definitely not as soft as I expected or wanted it to be.

I have decided to keep it as I just like the design and practicality of the bag so much, but it is definitely not one which you stroke and go, "aaah...."

Hhmnnn...it's a bit funny you mentioned the glazed leather because the first thing that popped into my mind when I got the bag was how similar the leather was to Rebecca Minkoff's electric blue glazed leather on the mini mac which I also have, smells absolutely the same too ! (i'll try to get some photos soon)
That said, the RM is $200 for a very small bag, and if leather yardage is part of a bag's cost, then I guess I got value for my money on the larger Keepall. ;)

Also, the bag is very light , which holds much appeal for me. The red wouldn't be my first choice though but I saw the orchid and it's absolutely lovely!

Good luck with your baghunting!

I actually like the leather and it's actually nicer than anything that came out from Mulberry in the recent years. For sure beat Alexa in terms of quality.

I have to agree with you about the buffalo leather on the Alexa which I also think is an overpriced bag. I just can't buy into the hype for it either.

I bought all my Mulberrys in the last year but went for the classic natural vegetable tanned on Bays and the soft spongy of the Daria which is really lovely. I also have a little clutch Lily in buffalo shine which is also nice.

Will you do modelling pics with your midnight?

Hhmnnn...it's a bit funny you mentioned the glazed leather because the first thing that popped into my mind when I got the bag was how similar the leather was to Rebecca Minkoff's electric blue glazed leather on the mini mac which I also have, smells absolutely the same too ! (i'll try to get some photos soon)
That said, the RM is $200 for a very small bag, and if leather yardage is part of a bag's cost, then I guess I got value for my money on the larger Keepall. ;)

Also, the bag is very light , which holds much appeal for me. The red wouldn't be my first choice though but I saw the orchid and it's absolutely lovely!

Good luck with your baghunting!

Oh glad you know what I mean. Orchid is a nice pop of colour! Way nicer than the red. Will look out for your photos of the RM.

That's interesting to hear as well. I just got my smoke PS1 and I know what you mean about the leather. It is definitely not as soft as I expected or wanted it to be.

I have decided to keep it as I just like the design and practicality of the bag so much, but it is definitely not one which you stroke and go, "aaah...."

Enjoy your bag and please post modelling pics! I love the aesthetics of the bag. It looks good! Just wish the leather was different.

I actually like the leather and it's actually nicer than anything that came out from Mulberry in the recent years. For sure beat Alexa in terms of quality.

It's so funny - I have a grape regular Alexa, and she has taken a beating with use in the Chicago weather (a winter, spring, summer and fall thus far), and is still in beautiful, like-new condition. The leather on mine is really, really nice and the bag has been holding up beautifully. My PS1 has not fared as well. (My PS11 is doing well, but has gotten several dings, how I have no idea). Maybe I just got lucky with my Alexa? But I really do love it. And I do still love my PS bags, dings and all. :smile:

I have to agree with you about the buffalo leather on the Alexa which I also think is an overpriced bag. I just can't buy into the hype for it either.

I bought all my Mulberrys in the last year but went for the classic natural vegetable tanned on Bays and the soft spongy of the Daria which is really lovely. I also have a little clutch Lily in buffalo shine which is also nice.

Will you do modelling pics with your midnight?

I'm afraid not, decided to give it up because the strap just doesnt stay on my shoulder and keep falling down. It's off to a consignment shop now. Oh well

Sorry that you did not like your keepalls. I really love my orchid small. I find it to be a great size, and easier access than the PS1. I get what you mean about the leather, although I don't think the orchid comes off as shiny as the red that you posted. I actually thought it was priced pretty well, but I guess it is all relative. Way, way less than my Celine and other high end bags.

Sorry that you did not like your keepalls. I really love my orchid small. I find it to be a great size, and easier access than the PS1. I get what you mean about the leather, although I don't think the orchid comes off as shiny as the red that you posted. I actually thought it was priced pretty well, but I guess it is all relative. Way, way less than my Celine and other high end bags.

I am still disappointed that it didn't work out for me. I love how it looks on other people though. Celine is beautiful though.