Help newbie to choose her first Veneta bag~~~

inesyi

O.G.
Oct 3, 2008
Hi, i have not owned anything from BV, has been too busy with other brands. Today I was browsing on BV's website and eyed a HOT PINK veneta bag, I believe it's called "Intrecciato Nappa Veneta" in MEDIUM size , it turned me on immediately.

So I decide to get my hands a BV bag for the first time! Have some questions to ask you experts:

1. I do MIND the durability of the leather, considering that I would probably get a PINK or ORANGE for this one, and I don't want to baby my bag, anything requires extra care would give me headache. So I wonder how durable the woven leather is? Can someone compare with Chanel's calfskin/caviar? I know they are totally different things, just want to get an idea. I have researched on threads talking about fraying of the leather, is it serious issue or we can live with it? Is PINK recommended, does it prone to color transfer?

2. Does the style "veneta" come in different leather, the one I saw says "suede" on the website, but I remembered all the BV bags I have seen seem smooth, not a typical suede look, more like lambskin. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. Can i also hand carry the "Veneta"? I really have too many shoulder bags, want a different flavor this time~~

4. I have seen reveals on "Belly" style, is it very different from the classic Veneta style? Which one is more versatile?

Thanks in advance and sorry to have too many things to ask, the photo of the bag i would probably get:

Attachments

• 115653_V0016_5662_B_600x600.jpg
    115653_V0016_5662_B_600x600.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 633
Welcome to BV! I'll give my 2 cents on some of your questions. If you are worried at all about color transfer or soiling, I'd go with a dark brown or black bag. The pink (is that shock?) is certainly stunning but there's no doubt it will show wear earlier than a black bag.

Regarding Chanel caviar vs. BV nappa, I look at it this way (and this is my opinion only as someone who owned quite a bit of caviar in the past):

Chanel caviar is a leather you could back over with your car and it probably won't look much different. Yes, it's durable, but it's not exciting. BV nappa is soft as butter - it's the kind of leather you want to pet all day long and when you aren't petting it, you're sniffing the leather for that heavenly aroma and feeling the soft suede inside as you reach for your items. Maybe I'm over exaggerating, but you get the idea :smile:

Regardless, best of luck in your decision. It's a fun one!

Welcome to BV! I'll give my 2 cents on some of your questions. If you are worried at all about color transfer or soiling, I'd go with a dark brown or black bag. The pink (is that shock?) is certainly stunning but there's no doubt it will show wear earlier than a black bag.

Regarding Chanel caviar vs. BV nappa, I look at it this way (and this is my opinion only as someone who owned quite a bit of caviar in the past):

Chanel caviar is a leather you could back over with your car and it probably won't look much different. Yes, it's durable, but it's not exciting. BV nappa is soft as butter - it's the kind of leather you want to pet all day long and when you aren't petting it, you're sniffing the leather for that heavenly aroma and feeling the soft suede inside as you reach for your items. Maybe I'm over exaggerating, but you get the idea :smile:

Regardless, best of luck in your decision. It's a fun one!

Thanks for your suggestion, however, I really want a bright color this time, has many dark color bags, and my wardrobe is pretty neutral now, need some Pop. How fast can a PINK one show obvious wear? Maybe caviar is not a good comparison, but I have a light pink Balenciaga, I pretty much just toss it around, do not have an issue with it. But I am not too sure about BV, for the woven leather, maybe more prone to wear on the surface?

I have an orange large veneta (fire opal from last season) and the colour is still stunning 5 months into use. I have not used it with jeans yet so I can't comment on colour transfer (which is a problem even for bals). But I can honestly say I baby my BV a lot lesser than my Bals. With Bals I worry about water spot showing up if water accidentally gets on it, having to moisturise them from time to time (I hate dry leather) but Bv has been fuss free for me. Not that I recommend this but I got caught in a drizzle with my Veneta and alls good. Seriously coloured bvs are the best (IMHO). It's not caviar durable for sure (also not fair to compare BV napa leather against caviar leather as calfskin Iis always less fragile than lamb) but better than Bal for me.

Chanel caviar is a leather you could back over with your car and it probably won't look much different. Yes, it's durable, but it's not exciting. BV nappa is soft as butter - it's the kind of leather you want to pet all day long and when you aren't petting it, you're sniffing the leather for that heavenly aroma and feeling the soft suede inside as you reach for your items. Maybe I'm over exaggerating, but you get the idea !

ITA!!!

Thanks, this sounds great and clears my doubt~Orange is yummy too, I am thinking if I should go to the boutique to get the bright pink now or maybe I can wait for other summer colors to come out?

I have an orange large veneta (fire opal from last season) and the colour is still stunning 5 months into use. I have not used it with jeans yet so I can't comment on colour transfer (which is a problem even for bals). But I can honestly say I baby my BV a lot lesser than my Bals. With Bals I worry about water spot showing up if water accidentally gets on it, having to moisturise them from time to time (I hate dry leather) but Bv has been fuss free for me. Not that I recommend this but I got caught in a drizzle with my Veneta and alls good. Seriously coloured bvs are the best (IMHO). It's not caviar durable for sure (also not fair to compare BV napa leather against caviar leather as calfskin Iis always less fragile than lamb) but better than Bal for me.

ITA!!!

BV Veneta is meant to soften and slouch but it is not meant to look aged/distressed (like Bals are meant to). Therefore you cannot expect the Veneta to look new forever like Chanel's caviar leather, but it will hold up a lot better than Bals. in fact, venetas look better when they have softened.

As for color transfer, I've never had a bag transfer color on to my clothes but ymmv. with denim transfer to the bag, that is an issue with the denim. if your jeans bleed, it will transfer color to any bag. if you don't ever want to see denim transfer then you're stuck with dark colored bags.

the Veneta is a classic. I tend to wear it on my shoulder but many others here hand carry it. the medium (and large) works both ways.

I don't remember what colors are coming for spring/summer but I think there is a violet. Shock (the pink you like) is a cruise color. if you are near a boutique, ask them what other colors they expect. just keep in mind that if a color is popular it may sell out. I usually ask my SA to tell me when they're down to the last two bags so I know when I have to purchase - I have the hardest time deciding on which color to get.

the regular veneta comes in different colors every season but are usually nappa (folks can correct me if I'm wrong). however, every season BV introduces a new technique or material: fraying, stitching, braiding, etc... and they are featured on special venetas. the ladies here are currently discussing the new Safari Veneta made of buffalo with stitching so it looks like patches of exotic skins.

as for veneta vs belly, that is mostly a personal preference. once they soften they both fall beautifully. I like the more rounded corners of the belly but like the slimness of the veneta. I have both. some colors aren't available in both just because of the way your boutique ordered so you can ask the SA to search the system for you.

good luck. I don't think you can go wrong with either Veneta or belly.

Thanks for your suggestion, however, I really want a bright color this time, has many dark color bags, and my wardrobe is pretty neutral now, need some Pop. How fast can a PINK one show obvious wear? Maybe caviar is not a good comparison, but I have a light pink Balenciaga, I pretty much just toss it around, do not have an issue with it. But I am not too sure about BV, for the woven leather, maybe more prone to wear on the surface?

I think if you want pink, you should get pink :smile:

My comments were based on my former life of being a powerseller on *bay and seeing the affect of time on different colored consigned bags. You may not see a difference in wear between a black bag and a pink bag in 6 mos or a year, but you will in 3-5 years if you use the bag with any regularity. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :graucho:

I agree with apey_grapey's comments, with the additional mentions regarding the seasonal leathers and treatments. Over the years, they've released seasonal Venetas (available one season only, that is) that have been made from materials such as calf, goatskin, and this year's buffalo. Nothing is guaranteed as far as what they will release, though. Usually these non-standard Venetas are a little or a lot more expensive (depending). The nappa leather is the standard, the classic.

1. I do MIND the durability of the leather, considering that I would probably get a PINK or ORANGE for this one, and I don't want to baby my bag, anything requires extra care would give me headache. So I wonder how durable the woven leather is? Can someone compare with Chanel's calfskin/caviar? I know they are totally different things, just want to get an idea. I have researched on threads talking about fraying of the leather, is it serious issue or we can live with it? Is PINK recommended, does it prone to color transfer?

^Based on your own words, you might regret the pink, and maybe the orange. Orange might be somewhat more forgiving if it's darker (I haven't seen them in person). I don't baby my BVs, but then again, I don't expect them to look new forever. Pink IS prone to color transfer from denim.

Color transfer from denim: if your jeans transfer to other things, then yes, it WILL show up on the pink leather. It has happened to me with a darker magenta/purple BV (whatever, I still love it, but it's mostly camouflaged because the leather is darker and a lot more purple than the photo of this year's pink). BV nappas are generally untreated (not coated with any protection). Maybe that does make it more prone to staining than Bals or Chanel? I have no idea, I don't have any experience with those bags.

^I will note that this might also depend on which Veneta you choose. If you choose the medium size, depending on the length of your torso and how low-rise your jeans are, the bag might not even touch your jeans if you wear it on the shoulder. If you hand-carry, then you might have a problem there if it hits your jeans as you walk. The large size Veneta sits lower because of the proportionally longer strap, so it might rub against your jeans while on the shoulder (it does for me--but mine's ebano, so it doesn't matter much).

Speaking of which, I'm petite (about 5'2") and find that I can hand-carry the medium size, although I shoulder carry it most of the time. I never hand-carry the large because it feels odd to me to do so--for me, it's proportioned as a shoulder bag. I suspect it might almost touch the floor if I were to hand-carry it--or maybe it wouldn't, but I think it would just look strange to me.

Good luck deciding!

I own Chanel, Bal & BV. I think if you're fine with the way your Bal holds up to being thrown around, then you'll be happy with BV. BVs hold up a lot better than Bals. I think the material is of better quality and the level of workmanship is higher.

Hey, I don't really use certain bag regularly ( except my black Bal, I feel that it can go under all weather) because I would like to switch among them every 2-3 days with different outfit.

1 year sounds pretty lasting for me, hope the color would not fade. I had experience with some other designers bags that certain seasonal colors fade in just a year, which is not nice, especially when it is supposed to be a bright color!

I think if you want pink, you should get pink :smile:

My comments were based on my former life of being a powerseller on *bay and seeing the affect of time on different colored consigned bags. You may not see a difference in wear between a black bag and a pink bag in 6 mos or a year, but you will in 3-5 years if you use the bag with any regularity. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :graucho:

Thanks for the tips on choosing color ! I would def check with the boutique here, it is very close to me actually.

I am trying to be careful if I carry a light color bag to make sure it would not rub the jeans! And also wish the bright color would not fade on the bag~

BV Veneta is meant to soften and slouch but it is not meant to look aged/distressed (like Bals are meant to). Therefore you cannot expect the Veneta to look new forever like Chanel's caviar leather, but it will hold up a lot better than Bals. in fact, venetas look better when they have softened.

As for color transfer, I've never had a bag transfer color on to my clothes but ymmv. with denim transfer to the bag, that is an issue with the denim. if your jeans bleed, it will transfer color to any bag. if you don't ever want to see denim transfer then you're stuck with dark colored bags.

the Veneta is a classic. I tend to wear it on my shoulder but many others here hand carry it. the medium (and large) works both ways.

I don't remember what colors are coming for spring/summer but I think there is a violet. Shock (the pink you like) is a cruise color. if you are near a boutique, ask them what other colors they expect. just keep in mind that if a color is popular it may sell out. I usually ask my SA to tell me when they're down to the last two bags so I know when I have to purchase - I have the hardest time deciding on which color to get.

the regular veneta comes in different colors every season but are usually nappa (folks can correct me if I'm wrong). however, every season BV introduces a new technique or material: fraying, stitching, braiding, etc... and they are featured on special venetas. the ladies here are currently discussing the new Safari Veneta made of buffalo with stitching so it looks like patches of exotic skins.

as for veneta vs belly, that is mostly a personal preference. once they soften they both fall beautifully. I like the more rounded corners of the belly but like the slimness of the veneta. I have both. some colors aren't available in both just because of the way your boutique ordered so you can ask the SA to search the system for you.

good luck. I don't think you can go wrong with either Veneta or belly.

And also wish the bright color would not fade on the bag~

If you've had Balenciaga, then I can appreciate your concern about fading. But I think this is a Bal issue. I was really into Bal and can't tell you how many bags faded (my sky blue Day faded and I never even wore it out--I got it early in the season and it sat in my closet for two months and then when I took it out, it had yellowed and looked terrible. Thank goodness I was able to return it. I had one of the bad 2007 black Bals that turned green. My violet Day started fading after four months. And it goes on-electric blue, magenta, etc.)

BV is by far beter quality and I doubt very seriously you'd have the same issues as with Balenciaga.

As for the bag--I think a medium Veneta in Shock would be so fun!