Advice wanted for a guy's everyday bag

kobaka

Sep 5, 2011
I am looking for the perfect everyday Louis Vuitton bag for quite a time now. And whilst girl's bags are discussed a lot, there is only few posts regarding "handbags" for the dudes...
So I start it myself. It should be small enough to not hesitate taking it with me everyday (smaller than the keepall 45 monogram Macassar I already own but use more as a weekender), but big enough to put in at least wallet, phone, a book, my iPad, keys and the small things you carry everyday...

My favorites so far:
Brooklyn MM Ebene
Daniel MM Graphite
Bass MM Monogram Macassar
Torres Monogram Macassar
(all these around Euro 800)
Messenger Waterproof Monogram Macassar (Euro 1,400)
Beaubourg Ebene
Cabas Beaubourg Monogram
(Euro 675)

The Messenger Waterproof Monogram Macassar is my favorite (although it might be too big?) but nearly twice the price compared to the rest...

Any experience or opinion appreciated! And not only the boys, please, of course the ones of all the ladies too!! ;)

The only advice I have is try to avoid bags that have straps in canvas. Most of the items in the men's lines have these are prone to snagging over time.

These bags include the Shawnee Pochette and the Luka. One is in Utah and the other in Taiga.

I use a Speedy 40. I know it's not officially a mens bag, but the SA at the store told me that they mostly sell it to men.
It's a great bag, I love it. It fits a lot, but it's not to big. :smile:

Thanks Christofle. But I suspect that as all the bags I mentioned are canvas, all straps are canvas too... ;-(
I have to bags; the explorateour damier geant canvas in black and the beaubourg ebene. Love these two bags, although I found the beaubourg is much heavier to carry. I often carry my explorateour to work, and my beaubourg to shop.

I use a Speedy 40. I know it's not officially a mens bag, but the SA at the store told me that they mostly sell it to men.
It's a great bag, I love it. It fits a lot, but it's not to big. :smile:

Its a great bag, however its a hand held and rather bulky, which isn't great for a daily workhorse.

Thanks MrVuitton. Do you have a photo of you carrying that bag? Do you have the Monogram Bandouliere version? For me the Speedy 40 would be to close to my 45, but a 35 might be an alternative. Although I like the monogram Macassar more. A Damier graphite Speedy 35 Bandouliere would be perfect for my needs I think, but I already asked a SA and they won't custom make bags unfortunately...

Thanks for your experience a****s. I like the shape of your explorateur, but prefer the other designs (Damier Graphite/Ebene or monogram Macassar). A combination would be cool...

I have the Graphite Daniel MM and love it. I went into the store determined to buy a bag in the Utah line but after looking at it, beautiful as it is, it seemed too rustic for my style. I had never even looked at the Graphite line before. I knew I wasn't a fan of Monogram and the Taiga bags I liked were more than I was willing to spend. (I've become more comfortable with LV prices since then! LOL) The SA showed my the Daniel and it met all my requirements. I don't like a zip top bag for everyday because I'm in and out of it all the time but I do like the zip pocket on the back. It didn't have as many pockets on the inside as I would have wanted but I've bought pochettes to take care of things floating around (very sneaky of you LV!).
I carry daily: 6 key holder, wallet, checkbook, pochette with small items in it, 2 pairs of glasses, iPhone and its earphones, cles, business card holder, and usually some kind of sinus/allergy medicine. I still have more than enough room for my iPad, a book or 2, etc.
If I will be lugging around more that that I grab my Tadao also. (which I also adore!)
Hope that helps.
My advice, go down to the store and try them all on. I bought something I never would have thought about and I had looked on line for a month.
GL

The only advice I have is try to avoid bags that have straps in canvas. Most of the items in the men's lines have these are prone to snagging over time.

These bags include the Shawnee Pochette and the Luka. One is in Utah and the other in Taiga.

My interpretation of this advice is to avoid bags that have the woven straps, as they tend to snag. I don't know if the material is canvas or cotton, but I interpreted Christofle's advice as "you should avoid bags that don't have the leather strap ." :smile:

My interpretation of this advice is to avoid bags that have the woven straps, as they tend to snag. I don't know if the material is canvas or cotton, but I interpreted Christofle's advice as "you should avoid bags that don't have the leather strap ." :smile:

Its a coton canvas web! The reason I brought it up, is that on several occasions while visiting the boutique I have seen people bringing in bags that had snags all over their shoulder strap and a few times people were arguing with sas over the quality of their bags because of this, some guy had bought the bag a month ago and was trying to return it, but management just smiled and told him it was part of normal wear and tear. Eek :S he did not looked pleased.

Its a coton canvas web! The reason I brought it up, is that on several occasions while visiting the boutique I have seen people bringing in bags that had snags all over their shoulder strap and a few times people were arguing with sas over the quality of their bags because of this, some guy had bought the bag a month ago and was trying to return it, but management just smiled and told him it was part of normal wear and tear. Eek :S he did not looked pleased.

Sounded like good advice to me. :smile:

I agree with MrVuitton. I'm a guy and the Speedy 40 is the perfect size. It's very functional.
Another favorite men's bag of mine that I absolutely love is the Bosphore backpack :smile: I carry mine a lot. I also like the Cupertino briefcase, although it gets really heavy after a while. The woven straps haven't caused me any problems yet, maybe I'm just lucky. :o

Thanks all for you input so far.

ah_tracy, haven't seen the youtube video yet, but will watch it later today, thanks for the link!

pinky7 and MrVuitton, do you use the Speedy 40 with Bandouliere or without?

Jrs1672, that is a great collection you own. The Graphite Daniel could match my needs, but you are right, it will be helpful to go to our local LV store to see and try some of the bags.

Nevertheless more opinions are very welcome!