Express Mail question

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
Hi-
So sorry, I'm sure this is a duplicate question but I'm a bit short on time today-
I have a buyer that is insisting on having a bag by Thursday. Requested UPS but I don't have a UPS option (because generally, UPS pricing confuses me... but that's for another day). I offered to Express Mail it to her for the difference in cost, she agreed. The cost of the bag is over $250, so I know I need insurance and signature confirmation. I've never shipped a >$250 item via Express before, though.

Question: if I'm using Express mail for a domestic shipment, do I purchase insurance and signature confirmation separately the same way I do for Priority Mail? Or is any of that included?

Thanks! :flowers:

I always purchase separate Signature Confirmation in case the signature that may be automatically collected with such service by the PO is only viewable internally.
I have only shipped Express Int'l so I am not sure about the insurance for domestic

I always purchase separate Signature Confirmation in case the signature that may be automatically collected with such service by the PO is only viewable internally.
I have only shipped Express Int'l so I am not sure about the insurance for domestic

How much is the item worth?
Up to a certain amount ($1000?) it is insured. over get separate insurance.

From USPS.com: express mail includes only $100 in insurance coverage, by default. You can always buy more, and you can add the signature proof of delivery as well (click on the "Extra services" tab). Looking at the signature options, maybe you want to get "Adult Restricted Signature Only" which is an extra $5 or so.

But wow, looking at those prices, I'm convinced Fedex or UPS 2-day would be cheaper...but if the buyer is paying, that's fine.

From USPS.com: express mail includes only $100 in insurance coverage, by default. You can always buy more, and you can add the signature proof of delivery as well (click on the "Extra services" tab). Looking at the signature options, maybe you want to get "Adult Restricted Signature Only" which is an extra $5 or so.

But wow, looking at those prices, I'm convinced Fedex or UPS 2-day would be cheaper...but if the buyer is paying, that's fine.

Well... hm. I checked UPS website and for the size and weight of the box, it looked a little cheaper via USPS Express. I'm always worried I'll guess wrong though for UPS. (Second Day air was not cheaper, but Ground was.... said they delivered at the same time...)

Just remember that confirmation and insurance are there to protect the seller. I build the cost into my shipping. Penny wise and pound foolish I am not when it comes to CYA on Ebay!

Note that express mail isn't necessarily "next day" for all locations. Depending on the zip code (on the receiving end), it might be 2-day. So just in case that's the delivery time for your buyer, you'll want to be sure to get the package out tomorrow (Tuesday).

I believe when you print the label, it'll tell you whether it's next day or 2-day. I'm not sure whether it'll tell you if the guaranteed time is "by noon" or "by 3 pm," but as long as it's dropped off by 5 pm, the delivery time is guaranteed.

You don't want to drop an express mail package into a regular mail box!

You can put the information into USPS and it will tell you whether it is one or 2 days. Just use the calculate postage tab and work through it.

Express Mail includes a signature unless you waive it.

You can put the information into USPS and it will tell you whether it is one or 2 days. Just use the calculate postage tab and work through it.

Express Mail includes a signature unless you waive it.

So does insurance purchased for over a certain amount, but it is only viewable internally w/in the PO. Is the EM signature online viewable? I have never used domestic EM so I have no idea. :shrugs:

So does insurance purchased for over a certain amount, but it is only viewable internally w/in the PO. Is the EM signature online viewable? I have never used domestic EM so I have no idea. :shrugs:

This is what I was wondering. If the signature (NOT waived! :smile:) for Express mail is included in Express mail, does that count toward seller protection?

I'm going to buy everything anyway, because I'm paranoid, and this buyer has already been juuuust a little worrisome, but hopefully everything will turn out just fine. :smile: