caring for light-colored leather bags

wingygoth

James
Mar 11, 2008
Hi all, I just bought the Alexander Wang marti backpack in Toffee, because I already have a black zippered Botkier crossbody and I couldn't justify buying another black-zippered crossbody bag. So I ordered the Toffee.

It arrived yesterday and I realized how difficult it's going to be keep dark colors from bleeding onto it, and I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to help prevent bleeding and how to best clean it when it does get dirt and color bleeds on it. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I really want to keep this bag in this color. It's beautiful!

Thanks!

Thanks! I just ordered it! I can't wait to use my new bag.

Good to hear! I've sworn by Wilson's TLC for a lloooonnnnggg time. It just works, and has saved my butt more than a time or two.

Thank you so much from my end, too! I have been coveting several bags in "nude" colors but have been holding off on purchasing a single one because I just know I will get them dirty. But with this info in hand I am going shopping!

Good for you! Enjoy your new 'nude bag' when you get it (after treating with Wilson's, of course).

___

I do recommend two coats - let the first dry for an hour or so before the second.

I believe the process is to clean it as well as you can first, then water/stain proof it. Definitely do not wear jeans and let the bag rub against. Nothing I repeat abs nothing can be done if there's jeans color transfer from jeans to a leather bag

Ahh! I recently bought the Dooney & Bourke Large Florentine Satchel in Natural and got some black transfer on it!! I've only used it three times.. I'm so sad. Does this Wilson cleaner help after the fact or does it only protect? Any advice would be much appreciated.. :sad:

Ahh! I recently bought the Dooney & Bourke Large Florentine Satchel in Natural and got some black transfer on it!! I've only used it three times.. I'm so sad. Does this Wilson cleaner help after the fact or does it only protect? Any advice would be much appreciated.. :sad:

We were discussing water/stain repellant/protector, but Wilson's does make a leather cleaner wipe that I've had good luck with. http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2072778

Good luck w that light color bag of urs ; i had awesome vintage leather bag, color was redish beige, i was in a bar and sadly it got a stain from the cocktail and when it got dry it left ugly lines everywhere, so my vintage pearl was ruined and i never used it again.
I also bought LV Piano years ago, it still sits on its dustbag, i never wore it yet cos i am scared to ruin the bottom of the bag which is light color leather, hehe (btw when i bought it they told in LV store that i cant spray any protective leather thingys etc on it .. dunno why, but they told not to add anything on that light LV leather).

I believe the process is to clean it as well as you can first, then water/stain proof it. Definitely do not wear jeans and let the bag rub against. Nothing I repeat abs nothing can be done if there's jeans color transfer from jeans to a leather bag

This is not entirely true! The leather can be professionally refinished with a pigmented top coat, but it is expensive.

Whilst protectors are common place now, 99% of them will NOT stop blu jean dye particles from ingressing into the leather. There is a company who has taken the technology from the automotive industry and blended it into a handbag product, but at present its only sold in Europe. Just a word of warning if you think the product you use at present will withstand denim dye, because its very unlikely that it will, unless you keep topping to product up each week.