Is the Cartier Complete Service for Watches worth it?

hockeygirl

O.G.
Nov 23, 2008
Hi all! I have a Cartier Tank Francaise in SS that my DH bought for me 8 years ago. We've had the battery replaced twice but no other services done. I brought it to the Cartier Boutique recently to remove a link and have it steam cleaned. They inspected it and said that they recommend a Complete Service for the watch and it would be $415.

She also said that they recommend a complete service every 4-5 years.

Has anyone ever had their Cartier watches in the boutique for a Complete Service? Is it worth it?

Thank you for the reply! The Cartier SA said that the watch technician said my watch needed service. Also, if I have it done elsewhere, it is considered unauthorized, etc...

I don't mind spending the $415 if it is really necessary to maintain my watch but, every 4-5 years seem excessive.

What does everyone else do for their Cartier watches? Do you take them to the boutiques or authorized Cartier dealers for service?

So, according to the Cartier website, the following is what is included in the Complete Service, $415 for the SS Tank Francaise.

Why does your watch need a complete service?

After diagnosing your watch, our Cartier Watchmaker has concluded that its movement needs to be serviced. The movement is the most technical and finely tuned piece of your watch. Either your watch has not been checked for several years and the oils of the movement may have dried out or the mechanism of the watch is not functioning properly (due to shock to the case for example).

To restore the functioning of the watch, our Cartier watchmaker will:

• Completely disassemble your watch.

• Replace damaged pieces*: battery, all gaskets, hands, crown…

• Check magnetization.

• Demagnetize mechanical watches if needed.

• Restore the movement.

• Check the movement.

• Polish the case (and the bracelet if the bracelet is metal).

• Clean the case (and the bracelet, if the bracelet is metal with ultrasound waves).

• Reassemble your watch.

• Check the functioning of the watch for 48 hours.

• Check the water-resistance.

• Check and adjust the bracelet and clasp
* The customer will be informed if certain damaged pieces need to be replaced (dial, hands, glass, crown, metal bracelet…). With the customer’s approval, these pieces will be replaced and billed separatly.

Thank you for the reply! The Cartier SA said that the watch technician said my watch needed service. Also, if I have it done elsewhere, it is considered unauthorized, etc...

I don't mind spending the $415 if it is really necessary to maintain my watch but, every 4-5 years seem excessive.

What does everyone else do for their Cartier watches? Do you take them to the boutiques or authorized Cartier dealers for service?

So, according to the Cartier website, the following is what is included in the Complete Service, $415 for the SS Tank Francaise.

After diagnosing your watch, our Cartier Watchmaker has concluded that its movement needs to be serviced. The movement is the most technical and finely tuned piece of your watch. Either your watch has not been checked for several years and the oils of the movement may have dried out or the mechanism of the watch is not functioning properly (due to shock to the case for example).

• Check magnetization.

• Restore the movement.

• Check the movement.

• Clean the case (and the bracelet, if the bracelet is metal with ultrasound waves).

• Reassemble your watch.

* The customer will be informed if certain damaged pieces need to be replaced (dial, hands, glass, crown, metal bracelet…). With the customer’s approval, these pieces will be replaced and billed separatly.

to be honest, i think this is just a money making scheme for cartier. I have seriously brought in a watch that was just serviced less than a year for a battery replacement and they said i needed service.......I have asked this question in other watch forums and they have all told me that quartz watches don't really need servicing...it's really up to you though, if it will give you peace of mind...

• Check magnetization.

• Restore the movement.

• Check the movement.

• Reassemble your watch.

Some of my watches service have cost well over 2500 but they are mechanical. For your price and it's age I would do it. Cartier is owned by Richemont and with a full service you should have 1 year warranty free after the service. This is good in case something happens.

Quartz are low maintenance but if something goes wrong then the movement can be very expensive. I would do it but not every 5 years. Maybe in 10 year intervals. I wouldn't ignore servicing it with the reason being its a quartz. If you maintain anything it will last a long time.

I've had my Tank Francaise for 8 years and I did the service for the first time last year. The watch does look much better all polished up.

I have two Cartier watches, a tank francaise from more than 10 years ago and a Panthere from 8 years ago. I took mine to Cartier when it stopped running (or was noticeably slow). sometimes they said it just needed a battery change and that was that. But sometimes they said the watch needed a complete service. This happened to my tank francaise after about 5 years of constant use, and they told me it was normal. Then a similar thing happened to my Panthere (but it took something like 6 and a half years, also of constant use). I would not have taken my watches in for a complete service at my own initiative. Each time I went I was always hoping it was nothing more than a battery change.
I was pretty surprised after paying so much for Cartier that they both needed complete overhaul after 5 - 6 years. I have other watches (a Vancleef and an Hermes) that are even older and neither one has ever needed anything more than a battery change. So I don't know what it is about Cartier.

I had my cartier tank serviced a few years ago, though it was only two years old. Two years later, cartier said it needed to be serviced again. Each time the cost seemed awfully high for a quartz movement. Suddenly, out of the blue, I got papers to file for a $100 cartier merchandise/service credit as part of a class action settlement charging price fixing and over charging. Are they still up to their old tricks? The watch now needs a new battery, and I just put it in my drawer while I decide whether to return to Cartier, or to try a fine jeweler. Suggestions?

I remember something about that lawsuit too. I think I got some papers to file too, but I don't remember what happened.
Every time I went to the Cartier store (the one on Fifth Avenue where the service place is), I couldn't believe how crowded it was with all these people waiting to get their watches serviced. There were more people on the second floor waiting to get this done than in the store shopping.
last time I went, it was so crowded that they actually told some people to leave and come back later.

I had my cartier tank serviced a few years ago, though it was only two years old. Two years later, cartier said it needed to be serviced again. Each time the cost seemed awfully high for a quartz movement. Suddenly, out of the blue, I got papers to file for a $100 cartier merchandise/service credit as part of a class action settlement charging price fixing and over charging. Are they still up to their old tricks? The watch now needs a new battery, and I just put it in my drawer while I decide whether to return to Cartier, or to try a fine jeweler. Suggestions?

I remember something about that lawsuit too. I think I got some papers to file too, but I don't remember what happened.
Every time I went to the Cartier store (the one on Fifth Avenue where the service place is), I couldn't believe how crowded it was with all these people waiting to get their watches serviced. There were more people on the second floor waiting to get this done than in the store shopping.
last time I went, it was so crowded that they actually told some people to leave and come back later.

:shocked:

I happily take mine to a trusted jeweler for all maintenance. A battery change is $30. And I paid $150 for the same complete service "overhaul" when my watch turned about 8 years old. I understand about the unauthorized Red Letter of shame my watch might carry now, but I'm over it. :smile:

If a Cartier service is as good as a Rolex service (which I would imagine it is ) then I would be inclined to go for it.
I had a full service on a 5 year old Rolex watch and was absolutely thrilled to see it looked as good as it was new. Of course if you have not worn it that much and it still looks like new then maybe not.
:biggrin: