Odd yet funny story!

coachmommyofmin

<3
O.G.
Oct 6, 2008
One of my friends recently shared her new-found-dislike for designer items with me. She told me a story that upset her, and you'll see why in a minute.

Her DH and her friend's DH meet. FriendDh asks her DH what he's getting her for her birthday/xmas.
DH goes- "well, maybe a spa ticket."
Friend'sDH goes "what? you're cheap. I'm getting mine a LV for $800".
DH- "dude, you're crazy, that's a TON of money".
Friend'sDH- "it's worth it, it's for my wife!"
DH goes home and tells his wife about how crazy their old friends are....

So she informs me of this occurrence, and I understand that bragging is not appreciated, but she keeps saying what a waste it is to spend "that much money" on a bag, how you should be spending it on the children or on savings, and not to waste money on a piece of selfish junk. She is -let's just call it- "outraged" at "how expensive and yet so worthless" a bag can be...

The funny part to the story is that as she kept going about what a waste "such an expensive bag is", I sat right next to her, with my $1.8k city in my lap, politely shrugging my shoulders :lol:. If only she knew!

she was a bit rude with her remarks, imo :nono::nono:

i've had friends say similar things to me and i have a habit of defending my purse addiction like a samurai. if some people can afford it, then let them do what pleases them.. to each their own :biggrin:

Poor thing had no clue! She would probably have felt bad if she did. Good for you for not engaging her. Some battles aren't worth fighting. People will often disagree on things like this and some things are just better left unsaid. Our bags make us happy so who cares if others don't agree.

People have hobbies and for some is BAGS! Your friend proberbly is not into bags and just don't get it. Or maybe she's jealous of her other friend's DH getting a LV for her friend while she gets a spa voucher. She's proberbly right, we all know we should save for all...... Other things in life that's important, but it doesn't mean she can put other people down. I think u dealt with the situation in a right way. What else can u do besides shrug and being a good listener.

Yes, I didn't take her comments as offensive as I understand not everybody is into designer stuff and this also could easily be jealousy....I was just giggling inside as she kept going bkz she has no idea I'm "one of them" and I'm not hiding it either, but I'm also not the blurting kind "hey look at me, new bag, only 2k" lol.
everybody has their opinion on how to spend/save money- and I'm not about to start a fight about who's right or wrong, my motto is "live and let live" lol...
I noticed that a lot of people lately are judgmental towards others that love getting expensive things and always seem to be making snarky comments. I'm guessing it's jealousy and ignorance, but most important for me to not become one of them. So I just ignore it and laugh out loud on the inside :graucho: But I really appreciate the friends that I can share my latest "addiction" with even more now!

For many people it's not about jealousy but different priorities. I have family members who chastiize my handbag addiction and associated costs and none of them have a remote interest in luxury purses. They are not jealous; baffled is a better word! :biggrin:

The term jealousy is thrown around a lot in this type of discussion but one can't always assume that's how the other person feels. Perhaps this friend is more of a saver than spender which is fine, but it doesn't give her the right to bulldoze her thoughts and opinions on those who purchase and enjoy luxury items. You handled her well, with silence and a good ear!

For many people it's not about jealousy but different priorities. I have family members who chastiize my handbag addiction and associated costs and none of them have a remote interest in luxury purses. They are not jealous; baffled is a better word! :biggrin:

The term jealousy is thrown around a lot in this type of discussion but one can't always assume that's how the other person feels. Perhaps this friend is more of a saver than spender which is fine, but it doesn't give her the right to bulldoze her thoughts and opinions on those who purchase and enjoy luxury items. You handled her well, with silence and a good ear!

I totally agree! I don't think people are "jealous." They just have different priorities.

I am about to offend someone here I am sure. I think Starbucks is a waste of money. I don't go there or drink coffee at all. I think iPhones/smart phones are waste of money. I am on a $12 pay per use plan because that is all I need. My husband is on a $80 per year plan. He likes to buy muliti K bicycles and I like to by designer bags. See people are just different.

This.

However, reading the convo - I don't know if I'd be offended by the OP's friend (the wife.) If she thinks bags are a waste, the likelihood is that she wouldn't know how much the bag (the City) cost. I think everyone has been in a situation where they found out after how much something cost or what-have-you, and ended up with egg on our face. OP, I think you handled the woman graciously. :yes:

I'm more offended by her husband's comments about gift certificates to a spa being cheap. Gift-giving is a very personal thing, and providing my SO isn't giving me a blender, and seems to have put some real thought into it, I'm happy as a clam. It's really gotten harder for my parents (and vice versa) to give each other gifts now that my tastes have moved from Mattel to handbags, and I've become very paticular about handbags. In addition, I'm making my own money now, and if any of us (Mummy or Dad Slocombe) want something, we're more likely to buy it for ourselves than start the hinting once Hallowe'en has passed. I'm always thrilled to receive gift cards; I know exactly how tough I am to please. ;)

She sounds a little jealous and bitter - "she doth protest too much" - I bet if her hubby gave her an LV she would keep it - LOL -
I might think what others spend their money on is silly - but I learned a long time ago not to judge - I might have a bunch of 2k bags and be eating cat food when I am old - but - hey that is my choice -

all in all, that was a ridiculous conversation which highlights how everybody has different priorities and view things differently. I have friends who love to meet up 3 times a week to spend lots of money on alcohol (speaking of at least US$80 a night out) and I'd rather put that money to something that will last me a long time instead of a night of lots of alcohol which dissipates in an hour or so, or you end up drinking too fast and get sick with a hangover the next morning (my own experiences and thoughts). In buying designer bags, you get quality and longevity.

I like designer handbags I can resell if I no longer want it as an investment piece, where does the alcohol go? OH likes restoring classic cars to drive, to sell on if so desired, I like to do the same with my designer bags ;)

I totally agree! I don't think people are "jealous." They just have different priorities.

I am about to offend someone here I am sure. I think Starbucks is a waste of money. I don't go there or drink coffee at all. I think iPhones/smart phones are waste of money. I am on a $12 pay per use plan because that is all I need. My husband is on a $80 per year plan. He likes to buy muliti K bicycles and I like to by designer bags. See people are just different.

Tell me more about this plan! Which carrier? We are so on the same page about iphones/smart phones. I only use my cell phone for emergencies and rarely give out the number. My anytime minutes are overflowing because I never use them. It's a complete waste of the $46 I am paying every month to AT&T just to have the phone.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here and you definitely didn't come across as offensive in your post. I drink Starbucks but from k-cups for my Courig coffee maker.:smile: