Macy's and Bloomie's store closings with sales

Miss Maryland

Jan 22, 2010
Sad for the SAs -- but supposedly corporate will give them the "option" of working at new stores. Silver lining for shoppers is that markdowns start this Sunday.

Macy's Inc. says it will close five Macy's and four Bloomingdale's stores that are underperforming, including a Bloomingdale's home and furnishings store in Oak Brook.

Clearance sales will begin at the stores Sunday and run for 10 weeks.

More than 830 workers will be affected by the closings -- 375 at Macy's stores and 463 at Bloomingdale's. But many may have the option of taking jobs at new stores the company plans to open.

The closing Macy's stores are in Topeka, Kan.; Laurel, Md.; Parma, Ohio; Antioch, Tenn.; and Texas City, Texas. The Bloomingdale's closures are in Atlanta; Oak Brook; North Bethesda, Md.; and in the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minn.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/ct-biz-macys-closing-stores-0105,0,3817503.story

Darnit :/ my bf grew up quite close to Parma, and we go back to visit his family every so often, but our next trip will be in mid-March...probably after that Macy's has already closed.

Seriously, White Flint and Laurel Malls are just depressing! Especially Laurel....White Flint at least has a few decent stores. I'll go to check out the Bloomie's markdowns.

I'm not surprised about that Bloomie's at all. I can't remember the last time I went to that mall, and with the new one in Chevy Chase being opened I have no reason to go there.

I didn't even know Laurel Mall had a Macy's!!! Why is that mall still open? Is there a Sears in that mall? If so they probably own it so they keep it opened. That's what kept Landover Mall opened as long as it was.

The Bloomingdale store at Perimeter Mall in Atanta was always dead...which is surprising since the rest of the mall is busy!

I am not too surprised that the MoA Bloomies is closing - their selection has decreased signifincantly over the last few years and even on Black Friday, the store wasn't that busy. But I did seem to find some great online return merch whenever I went...luck of the draw I suppose.

I'm not surprised about that Bloomie's at all. I can't remember the last time I went to that mall, and with the new one in Chevy Chase being opened I have no reason to go there.

I didn't even know Laurel Mall had a Macy's!!! Why is that mall still open? Is there a Sears in that mall? If so they probably own it so they keep it opened. That's what kept Landover Mall opened as long as it was.

I haven't been to the new Bloomie's yet...I really dread going anywhere near Friendship or Chevy Chase.

No Sears at Laurel, just Burlington Coat Factory. The Macy's is pretty bottom of the barrel, it used to be Hechts.

I'm actually a little surpised the Bowie Town Center Macy's stays open, given its proximity to Annapolis Mall, which is always packed. But the shops at PG Plaza are always swamped, so I bet that Macys is too, dunno about Wheaton...it's crazy when you think about it how many Macy's are close by, it seems like buying out Hecht's and all the other regional stores nationwide is really backfiring.

The Bloomingdale store at Perimeter Mall in Atanta was always dead...which is surprising since the rest of the mall is busy!

It does always seems empty, which is so strange because Perimeter is a super busy mall. I was last there back in October and there was hardly anyone in the store. Hopefully we can get some good deals as they mark the merchandise down!

I haven't been to the new Bloomie's yet...I really dread going anywhere near Friendship or Chevy Chase.

No Sears at Laurel, just Burlington Coat Factory. The Macy's is pretty bottom of the barrel, it used to be Hechts.

I'm actually a little surpised the Bowie Town Center Macy's stays open, given its proximity to Annapolis Mall, which is always packed. But the shops at PG Plaza are always swamped, so I bet that Macys is too, dunno about Wheaton...it's crazy when you think about it how many Macy's are close by, it seems like buying out Hecht's and all the other regional stores nationwide is really backfiring.

I LOVE that Bloomie's....matter of fact I love that whole area!!! The worst Macy's in Maryland has to be in marlow Heights shopping center. It is BAD!!! I can't believe their not closing that one, also used to be a Hechts.

I agree about the one in Bowie. I live in Bowie but I go to Annapolis or Columbia. Those are pretty good Macy's. PG Plaza was bad last time I was in it but that's been years and Wheaton actually got better the last few years. the whole mall did. I went in there last year and was surprised.

Yeah, it was supposed to be remodeled and rebuilt into one of those walkable, mixed-use town center places, but that was announced before this, so who knows. Bloomie's was supposed to be part of that development.