FYI: Dust bags listing removed

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
Just a heads up that Ebay is apparently no longer allowing the sale of dust bags, hangtags, or other associated items that come with a bag but without including the bag itself.
I had a listing up for a name brand dustbag that I didn't need, and Ebay removed the listing and called it a violation on my dashboard. I've sold several dustbags in the past, and it has never been a problem, so I'm not sure if this is a new rule and they're doing random enforcement or if it's an old rule I was just unaware of and someone reported it.
Anyway, this is just FYI in case any of you have similar items listed and want to avoid a violation. So far no issues with selling like items on Bonanza, though.

Cheers!

Just a heads up that Ebay is apparently no longer allowing the sale of dust bags, hangtags, or other associated items that come with a bag but without including the bag itself.
I had a listing up for a name brand dustbag that I didn't need, and Ebay removed the listing and called it a violation on my dashboard. I've sold several dustbags in the past, and it has never been a problem, so I'm not sure if this is a new rule and they're doing random enforcement or if it's an old rule I was just unaware of and someone reported it.
Anyway, this is just FYI in case any of you have similar items listed and want to avoid a violation. So far no issues with selling like items on Bonanza, though.

Cheers!
They made dustbags, tissue, boxes, hangtags, etc. disallowed at least 2-3 years ago. If you've been selling them in the last 2 years and getting away with it, you've been lucky.

They're considered to be "items that encourage infringement" because some sellers use authentic (or even fake) props to "prove" authenticity of their counterfeit items.

Here's the policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-accessories.html

iconNotAllowed_25x25.gif

Not allowed

• Accessories or packaging without the accompanying product. Examples include:
    • Dust bags
    • Plastic tags (including a tag with a serial number)
    • Ribbons
    • Tissue paper
  • Box for a branded watch without the accompanying watch
  • Empty jewelry pouch, tin, or other container that may be used to hold and sell a similar or identical product
  • Warranty or certificate (blank, valid, or expired) without the accompanying product

They made dustbags, tissue, boxes, hangtags, etc. disallowed at least 2-3 years ago. If you've been selling them in the last 2 years and getting away with it, you've been lucky.

Yup, I had no idea. I see listings for those items on there all the time, and have purchased some, too! That's why I posted this here... I figured if I was unaware (and I'm a "top rated" seller!) then others probably were unaware too. :smile:

I remember there was a big uproar because Coach, Vera Bradley and some other eyeglass cases were removed and seller accounts were dinged.

The problem was that some items being removed were items that are sold individually and don't come with the sunnies. And having been sold by the companies, they should have been ebay-legal too.

Eventually, loosened its policy on eyeglass cases to disallow those that are free with purchase of glasses but to allow those that are sold individually to be listed. The obvious problem is that ebay doesn't know the difference and the current status of the policy looks like they allow all sunnies cases, including fakes. :sad:

Stupid question coming at you, but why would someone want to sell their dust bags? Wouldn't they want to save them to store their bags?

Not a stupid question! :smile: A while back I purchased a pre-loved brand-name bag, and the dustbag that came with it was a different brand. I'm kinda snobby like that and wanted a matching dustbag, so I bid on a lot of dustbags that included that brand name. Later on, I sold off the dustbags I wasn't using.

I've also known people who didn't know what a dust bag was for and threw them away (or sold them once they found out they were worth $) or picked them up at sample sales and then sold them. Or a bag wore out/got destroyed and they sold the leftover dustbag.

Not a stupid question! :smile: A while back I purchased a pre-loved brand-name bag, and the dustbag that came with it was a different brand. I'm kinda snobby like that and wanted a matching dustbag, so I bid on a lot of dustbags that included that brand name. Later on, I sold off the dustbags I wasn't using.

I've also known people who didn't know what a dust bag was for and threw them away (or sold them once they found out they were worth $) or picked them up at sample sales and then sold them. Or a bag wore out/got destroyed and they sold the leftover dustbag.

Thanks for educating me on that. I had no idea people sold them for money. I get wanting to buy one if purchasing a pre-owned bag. I honestly cannot imagine throwing the dust bags out. It's part of the entire package, KWIM? I don't plan to sell my bags, but I have the dust bags and authenticity cards under lock and key, so the speak. But I'm a little OCD like that. :lol:

Do you think this includes designer sunglass cases as well? I have the tendency to loss my sunglasses and have about 4 or 5 of the cases around. I saw that there were going for $40+ on Ebay

I would love to be able to purchase dust bags for so many of the bags I got on Ebay that didn't have them. I am kind of OCD that way too. :P

Do you think this includes designer sunglass cases as well? I have the tendency to loss my sunglasses and have about 4 or 5 of the cases around. I saw that there were going for $40+ on Ebay
Lots of sellers get away with it. You can try listing them.

If they're cases that are sold by themselves (as opposed to coming free with glasses), they're allowed.

Are LV lock and keys allowed? I have been needing a key for one of my locks, but didn't want to pay $50 on ebay for it.
LV store is an hour and a half away, so I am just biding my time till I get there, lol!

Cheers!

Bonanza seems to be fine with those.