Ice cream on Hermes? Help!

RoseUSA

Jul 4, 2011
Oh oh we got ice cream stains on scarf and I am torn between hand-washing versus dry cleaning. The ice cream is cream/oil based, will it have a better chance coming out with dry cleaning? Thanks!~ :smile:

What color is the ice cream mark? Are there multiple marks, or just one? That may influence whether you are better off to dryclean or wash..... also, how comfortable are you with the idea of washing?

What color is the ice cream mark? Are there multiple marks, or just one? That may influence whether you are better off to dryclean or wash..... also, how comfortable are you with the idea of washing?

The color is clear now, but there are several "circles" left behind. I personally cold-wash my less expensive silk scarves all the time so I know how to do it. I just hate to bleed the colors accidentally with an expensive one....

I wash all my H scarves, BUT I don't have a lot of $$$ invested in any of them. I'll go find the most colorful one I've washed and tell you the colors involved. I've never had color bleed. I'll be back -- might be a couple of hours. For me personally, I use a gentle clear dish soap (which is darned good on grease-based marks!)

Madame Paulette's in NYC specializes in H scarf cleaning, you can't go wrong sending it to them to clean. It will come back with the hems not pressed flat.

I personally am a lover of Dawn and have used it on almost everything, it is made to break down oils. I have even used it on light color suede shoes that got city grease on them and it took the grease off and made the shoes perfect.

I do NOT recommend you follow my lead, this is just what I do and it works for me. I am not recommending you do this on your scarf.

Audreylita, a woman after my own heart! :smile: I too do things to my stuff I would never recommend others try!

RoseUSA, the most intensely colored scarf I've washed is Poste et Cavalerie, creamy background with design in gold, red, black and burgundy. And Astrologie in black, gold and white. No color bleeds on either of them.

Both were complete WRECKS when I bought them. One was from a garage/estate sale, and one was on ebay. BOTH had huge gross oily marks on them. The P&C had a streak about 5" long and 2" wide that looked like black oil. Like old motor oil.

The Astrologie had blotches of what looked like cooking oil, and loads of makeup smears. And it smelled beyond-bad.

THIS IS WHY I USE A CLEAR DISHSOAP: I rubbed the stains with the soap, saturating each spot, waited a couple of minutes to let the soap start breaking down the oily stains, then washed. (I fear if I use a colored soap the soap dye might transfer to the scarf.)

Please bear in mind I had very little financial involvement and no emotional investment in either of them when I tried this. Like Audreylita, this is what I did -- YOU have to decide what you are prepared to do on your own stuff.

Funny I thought the same thing about color transfer from the Dawn which is blue. There is none.

I first got turned on to this years ago in a high end clothing store. There was a stain on a piece of clothing I was interested in and they told me to wait just a moment while they cleaned it with Dawn. I was totally stunned! The garment came out clean and perfect. I've used it ever since on everything.

Except dishes. I only use the natural stuff in my sink..

Funny I thought the same thing about color transfer from the Dawn which is blue. There is none.

I first got turned on to this years ago in a high end clothing store. There was a stain on a piece of clothing I was interested in and they told me to wait just a moment while they cleaned it with Dawn. I was totally stunned! The garment came out clean and perfect. I've used it ever since on everything.

Except dishes. I only use the natural stuff in my sink..

I use Dawn on my dishes LOL! I totally agree about it being a good product to break down the grease.

My trick with spots on silk (and some clothing) is to dab at them with some soap and water and then flash my hairdryer on the piece to quickly dry it and then I don't get water spots or rings. Works for me:smile:

Yes absolutely item must be dried immediately or else it can leave a water stain.

I also use a very soft toothbrush to work the Dawn in if the stain is bad.