Help me make a decision

Oct 10, 2010
I am going to post this in both the louis vuitton and Balenciaga forums. I just purchased Giant city gold Hamilton http://www.balenciaga.com/en_US/sho...ivals/giant-city-gold-hamilton_804563661.html in red color from the new arrivals. I like the bag and its my first Balenciaga but I am really worried each time I carry it. I have a 2 year old son and I am just worried as it is leather something may be spilled and I feel its too much high maintenance. I like LV Berkeley bag in ebene and so you think I should go return it and get a louis vuitton or keep this bag? I have to take the decision today and that’s why I need all your help. I am 5’4” and I want to know whether Berkeley can be worn on the shoulder? Will the big gold plate in the front change color?

I really like LV so it's hard to make a decision. I have a Sistina LV with a large gold buckle. You do have to polish the gold plate, I would think. I do polish my buckle. I think you should get a shoulder bag. I have children as well and daily wear only shoulder bags. I am just too busy and need my hands free. I would say go to the LV store and play with the bags. I just got Artsy MM. And also love my evening clutch Eva.

I really like LV so it's hard to make a decision. I have a Sistina LV with a large gold buckle. You do have to polish the gold plate, I would think. I do polish my buckle. I think you should get a shoulder bag. I have children as well and daily wear only shoulder bags. I am just too busy and need my hands free. I would say go to the LV store and play with the bags. I just got Artsy MM. And also love my evening clutch Eva.

How do you polish the buckle?

I bought a Balenciaga as well and to be honest, if I could turn back time I would probably return it and buy another LV. If only I hadn't taken off the tab. *sigh* But oh well, still a beautiful bag. I just wish I had gotten something else.

I bought a Balenciaga as well and to be honest, if I could turn back time I would probably return it and buy another LV. If only I hadn't taken off the tab. *sigh* But oh well, still a beautiful bag. I just wish I had gotten something else.

Why do you think you should have returned it? Because its high maintenance or is there some other reason?

Why do you think you should have returned it? Because its high maintenance or is there some other reason?

1) It's more high maintenance
2) Although leather is more valuable, I still feel more confident in the canvas and quality of my LV's
3) I feel that in the long run, LV will retain its beauty longer than Balenciaga/leather which will prob stretch or sag in due time
4) I feel that LV in general is a more luxurious brand than Balenciaga even if Balenciaga is in a similar price range
5) I hate how Balenciagas all kind of look the same, with only differences in color and hardware color/size

I guess I am just pretty biased. LV is more of my brand I guess.

1) It's more high maintenance
2) Although leather is more valuable, I still feel more confident in the canvas and quality of my LV's
3) I feel that in the long run, LV will retain its beauty longer than Balenciaga/leather which will prob stretch or sag in due time
4) I feel that LV in general is a more luxurious brand than Balenciaga even if Balenciaga is in a similar price range
5) I hate how Balenciagas all kind of look the same, with only differences in color and hardware color/size

I guess I am just pretty biased. LV is more of my brand I guess.

I really like your reasons. I totally agree with it. Thanks.

I really like your reasons. I totally agree with it. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that LV is way more classic and timeless and LV has always made handbags and luggage. Balenciaga bags didn't even start becoming famous until recently; until recently, they just made clothes and shoes. I think Balenciaga is just trendy.

I will always go for LV over most other bags, and for the price, I think the LV Berkeley is a much more stylish bag, seems more carefree and will look nice for a very long time, and will hold it's value much more than the Bal.

I would also go for the LV, I am much more confident carrying my LVs as they are lower maintenance I think, I still somewhat baby them, but I know that canvas will end up being like a Twinke, it can survive anything!

Before I started hanging out here, I was a Balenciaga groupie. I bought and sold and acquired some of the most sought after older bags. And I got tired about worrying about the leather. Most of my beautifully colored bags faded in the sunlight from "normal" wear, not leaving them out somewhere. If it was on the driver's side next to me, and the sun was streaming in the car, I would cover it with whatever was handy. I worried on my trips to Florida what the sun would do to my bag. My beautiful french blue turned a pukish green at the top, and my reds and even blacks, all looked faded and dull. I don't know, it didn't seem to happen to everyone, but there were plenty that had the same problem. And then there was the dreaded warming under the handles, so I used LMB for handles only and all kinds of stuff. And I decided I wanted to enjoy my bags and not worry so much. So I found the LV forum, experimented with a mono NF, and decided I loved the durability of the bags. Now I've bought 2 more bags and some SLG's and I couldn't be happier. I still think Balenciaga has beautiful colors, and some of the leather on some of the bags was so silky it was gorgeous. I've still kept a few favorites and still will be selling a few that I worry about too much to use. I say go for LV and enjoy!