Customer Service Issue

kalimarie

O.G.
Dec 5, 2005
Hi TPFers. I am a TPFer who needs some assistance. I am a Marc Jacobs, YSL and Chloe bagaholic. I have a fellow FB friend who has recently asked for assistance with a recent Gucci purchase. Here is her own comments that she posted. Let me know if you have any suggestions for her. Thanks. Kalimarie (Kim) Please see below....

Some of you may remember that I bought a Gucci carrier for Georgia in November. We have several carriers, but I was hoping this black carrier that looked more like a piece of luggage would make it easier for me to bring Georgia into restaurants and movies. I received it right before Thanksgiving and was hoping to take it with us over the Thanksgiving weekend. Unfortunately, it was unsuitable, as the shoulder strap was not an adjustable one (as described), and the top of the carrier on both sides did not zip together, and therefore, it was quite easy for Georgia to poke her head out and walk away. I called Gucci online to let them know I was returning the item and that it was unsuitable to be a dog carrier. And this is where the trouble began. She asked me how I knew that Georgia could get out? And I told her because I placed her in it, and she got out. Then she told me that I could not return it because it was used! And that's when I asked to speak with a supervisor. She informed me there were no supervisors available at Gucci.com. I decided to call back and went through the whole conversation with another representative. She told me exactly the same thing. So I went to our local Gucci store in San Diego and gave the carrier to the manager there to return for me. Last week I received this email:

"Dear Ms. Colman,

Thank you again for shopping with us at Gucci.

As per our previous telephone conversation, unfortunately we are unable to honor your return request as the dog carrier has been used and altered from its original condition. Therefore, your merchandise will be returned to your location and you should receive this package within 3-5 days business days."

I now have called the customer service number (provided to me from the San Diego Gucci store) four times and left four messages with no response. Before filing a lawsuit, does anyone have any ideas? It's hard to believe a company with such a fine reputation would treat their customers in this manner.

If a dog carrier cannot be used as a dog carrier it shouldn't be sold as a dog carrier. It was also not as described on-line as regards the strap. Your friend should stick with her resolve I think she is quite right. Find out if you have similar consumer protection law like the 'fit for purpose' one we do here (UK).

Take it to what ever is the official leading animal welfare group too, it sounds thoroughly wrong to put animals into and should either be modified or not sold. Maybe a letter from them in your friend's favour would strengthen the case.

Thank you so much Papertiger. I shared your advice with my friend and she really liked it. Gucci is selling the bag as a dog carrier and what she received doesn't look nearly as durable/sturdy as the one on the website. Pictures can be deceiving. Her credit card company is backing her, so we will see what Gucci has to say. These days, with social networking/media outlets, companies need to have better customer service. She just bought the bag in November. Thanks again for your great advice.

If a dog carrier cannot be used as a dog carrier it shouldn't be sold as a dog carrier. It was also not as described on-line as regards the strap. Your friend should stick with her resolve I think she is quite right. Find out if you have similar consumer protection law like the 'fit for purpose' one we do here (UK).

Take it to what ever is the official leading animal welfare group too, it sounds thoroughly wrong to put animals into and should either be modified or not sold. Maybe a letter from them in your friend's favour would strengthen the case.