Need some help please!!

ashdamara

Dec 28, 2010
I searched this board for over an hour tonight but can't find anything related to this type of cleaning I need done to my purse. By accident, my cat was locked in my room all day long. She went to the bathroom in my closet and got a little on my coach dust bag with my Maggie inside :sad: it wasn't urine because that I know you can't get out of stuff. This purse had a "different" smell to it so I was wondering how do I get this cleaned? Is this a job for the dry cleaners? I love this purse and would hate for it to go to waste ugh! Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile: thanks!

Ok I took a pic now to get it uploaded. I have no idea how.

Here's how to upload a photo: When you are in the box for composing your next post, select the paper-clip icon; it will say "Attachments" when you hover the cursor over it. That brings up a pop-up box that lets you browse for and upload a file from your computer. At the bottom of that popup, you'll see the acceptable filetypes and sizes. If you take a large picture with a lot of detail, you might have to save it as a smaller filetype so that it fits the upload parameters. You should then see your pictures when you preview the post. Hope that helps!

Grr it's not letting me upload from my phone and my computer is DONE. It won't even turn on anymore. I'll try and find a picture of it online. It's a small maggie (not leather), so probably signature. It's black with really pretty purple lining. My husband said take it to the dry cleaners but I don't know if that's safe. Ugh I just want to use it again :sad:

How soaked is your bag? I have been able to clean signature bags successfully with dish soap or a mild spray cleaner and water. I have had no problem with dunking them as long as I keep the leather out of the water.

I don't think it's soacked as she didn't pee I just think the smell came through from when she went on the dust bag. What kind of mild cleaner would you use on this kind of bag? I've never had to clean a purse before. Just soak it (without lettin leather get wet) and then let it air dry? I didn't know it was that simple hahah!

I don't think it's soacked as she didn't pee I just think the smell came through from when she went on the dust bag. What kind of mild cleaner would you use on this kind of bag? I've never had to clean a purse before. Just soak it (without lettin leather get wet) and then let it air dry? I didn't know it was that simple hahah!

If there are no stains and you just need to get rid of a bad odor, you can try airing it out. I have read of other methods used to eliminate strong odors from bags - baking soda, charcoal filters, dryer sheets, etc. Do a TPF search on "odors" to find more information.

If there is a stain on the bag you could try spot-cleaning with Coach's Jacquard Fabric Cleaner available at the retail stores.

For odors, I have tried charcoal and baking soda, but what has worked the best is putting bath salts in and around the purse and letting it sit for a week or so. I normally only have to do this for leather though. For fabric, I have used that kind of cleaner that you get at the dollar store that you have to dilute, Oxyclean laundry stain remover, and dish soap. I would imagine that Woolite would work as well.

By accident, my cat was locked in my room all day long. She went to the bathroom in my closet and got a little on my coach dust bag with my Maggie inside :sad:

What does that mean ? ^^^ you say she didnt pee on it.
I would toss the dust bag in the trash cuz cat pee will never come out. If you're bag is smelling like cat pee... I would drown it in fabreeze and hope for the best!! Cuz if that bag ever gets wet its going to stink!!
NOTHING will take the smell of cat pee out... it will cover it until the bag gets wet.

It means she POOPED on the dust bag! The dust bag has long been thrown out along with a coach scarf that was there :sad: But this bag which was in the dust bag has a faint smell of **** and I really just don't want to air it out and go about my day. That is why I asked about dry cleaners and if its ok to take a purse there because I want it CLEANED not just air-ed out with dryer sheets and that. If its a big no-no to take coach purses to a dry cleaners, please tell me. I guess I could also let it soak in water and soap and scrub it then air it to dry but the easiest would be for someone else to clean it hahaha! This is the first coach I have ever owned and it breaks my heart that this happened. I don't even know why this bag was on my floor because I keep my bags hung in my closet in a dustbag. Must of fallen I guess.

It means she POOPED on the dust bag! The dust bag has long been thrown out along with a coach scarf that was there :sad: But this bag which was in the dust bag has a faint smell of **** and I really just don't want to air it out and go about my day. That is why I asked about dry cleaners and if its ok to take a purse there because I want it CLEANED not just air-ed out with dryer sheets and that. If its a big no-no to take coach purses to a dry cleaners, please tell me. I guess I could also let it soak in water and soap and scrub it then air it to dry but the easiest would be for someone else to clean it hahaha! This is the first coach I have ever owned and it breaks my heart that this happened. I don't even know why this bag was on my floor because I keep my bags hung in my closet in a dustbag. Must of fallen I guess.

I would not take it to the cleaners. I did that one time with a fabric bag decorated with a large ribbon or stripe around the circumference of the bag. The cleaner hesitated to accept it; in fact I had to try several cleaners before I found one that reluctantly took it after I agreed that the results were no-fault and my responsibility. The bag got cleaner but the ribbon/stripe become all puckered and ugly.

If you want to feel that the bag is truly clean than handwashing it in warm water in woolite and rinsing with clean water might be your best option. Arrange the bag in the proper shape when you set it on a towel to air dry.

I've washed a lot of vintage bags and they are usually fine but I haven't washed a Maggie, so I can't advise you, but I hope it works out well.

Toss the dust bag in the trash and put the purse someplace to air out. I put stuff I need to air out on my 3-season enclosed porch. If she only pooped on the dust bag the purse's residual odor may just dissipate if it gets plenty of clean, crisp air. She probably pooped on it because she was mad at being locked in the room. I accidentally shut my cat (not the one in the pic) in my closet yesterday and was happy she didn't leave me any presents. Be grateful it wasn't pee. That smell will never go away.