New Year, New Look!

Handbag_Whore

Dec 13, 2009
Ok, so what with the new year and all, I would like to overhaul my look.

Nothing drastic I just want a sleeker, more sophisticated me!

Sooo...I live in jeans and generally flats. LOVE handbags but budget doesnt stretch so far. Live in cardies and tops. Any recommendations for touches I can make to sleeken my outfits up?! :smile:

Ok, so what with the new year and all, I would like to overhaul my look.

Nothing drastic I just want a sleeker, more sophisticated me!

Sooo...I live in jeans and generally flats. LOVE handbags but budget doesnt stretch so far. Live in cardies and tops. Any recommendations for touches I can make to sleeken my outfits up?! :smile:

Try to skip the flats and wear high heels.
Or skip the tops with cardies and go with a Polo Shirt with popped up colar and a caree scarfe as chocker.
Or wear pants instead of the jeans.

:smile: happy new year :cool:

I live in flats too and sometimes find it hard to smarten up without heels. However last year I bought a tailored black suit jacket and it just goes with anything! Skinny jeans, designer bag and to top it off I have bought a number of scarfs to finish the look off (Alexander McQueen skull scarf, LV scarves etc). I think this look is simple yet effortlessly stylish.

Try switching out your cardi for a blazer. Since you are on a budget, Zara has some very cute options that would add polish to your outfits. Flats are fine, just chose pairs that are not just comfy but also interesting and stylish. My snake print ballet flats go with everything, and are more interesting than black. Flat boots can look great too.
In the summer, I love dresses for everyday- try a maxi dress or shirtdress.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "sleek" is since we're probably all thinking of different things here.

So for me, sleek - more professional looking, or more "grown up"

Thus I would recommend 3 things:
- Heels are a must. Stay away from super high platforms. I don't think these are professional, and in fact very trendy. Stay with more conservative styles.
- Well fitted black blazer jacket which will sharpen up any outfit.
- Get your hair up, any style, ponytail, bun, even a slightly messy updo looks great.

What not to do:
- Slouch, posture is very important and will determine 50% of others' impressions of you
- Too many accessories, you don't need anything more than simple earrings, necklace, watch, and ring. Sorry, no "stand out" jewelry for me.
- No monograms or other big designer name on your clothing, bag, or other accessories please. They are distracting.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "sleek" is since we're probably all thinking of different things here.

So for me, sleek - more professional looking, or more "grown up"

Thus I would recommend 3 things:
- Heels are a must. Stay away from super high platforms. I don't think these are professional, and in fact very trendy. Stay with more conservative styles.
- Well fitted black blazer jacket which will sharpen up any outfit.
- Get your hair up, any style, ponytail, bun, even a slightly messy updo looks great.

What not to do:
- Slouch, posture is very important and will determine 50% of others' impressions of you
- Too many accessories, you don't need anything more than simple earrings, necklace, watch, and ring. Sorry, no "stand out" jewelry for me.
- No monograms or other big designer name on your clothing, bag, or other accessories please. They are distracting.

ITA with these!!!

Heels and blazers are a must, while avoiding too much accessories gives the look a more lady-ish vibe (less girly).

I would add:

1) A pair of classic pencil black pants.
2) A black pencil skirt.
3) A few shirts.
4) Some scarves you can tie around your neck.
5) A pair of small diamond studs or small yellow/white gold earrings to wear everyday - nothing too flashy, just luxuriously subtle.
6) A pair of classic black pumps (the CL Pigalles in patent leather are great).

Wear a belt. It can make a huge difference. I use a wide one to cinch a cardigan or dress, a chain belt to wear with knit dresses, and a basic one to wear through jeans' loops.

Id say a couple of skirts and a couple blouses will be a start with a blazer, cardi and cashmere top.
Then a 2-3 pairs of nice conservitive 2 to 3 inch heels in Black, Blue and a pair in Red (Posibly a darker red)
If you can get one, and can stand wearing one, a sleek under-bust corset/wasit clincher with a pair of jeans or trousers will make you look sexy and sophistocated.
Also a nice down vest with fur rimmed hood will do well, it can make you look sporty, but smart at the same time with the right clothing.
What about a leather jacket???

ITA with these!!!

Heels and blazers are a must, while avoiding too much accessories gives the look a more lady-ish vibe (less girly).

I would add:

1) A pair of classic pencil black pants.
2) A black pencil skirt.
3) A few shirts.
4) Some scarves you can tie around your neck.
5) A pair of small diamond studs or small yellow/white gold earrings to wear everyday - nothing too flashy, just luxuriously subtle.
6) A pair of classic black pumps (the CL Pigalles in patent leather are great).

Excellent suggestions!