Workplace How do you respond to salary inquiry from potential employers?

koukanamiya

It is what it is
May 25, 2006
I got an email from someone who had seen my resume on monster.com. Here's what she wrote:

clearpixel.gif

Date: Monday, March 5, 2007 9:54 PM
clearpixel.gif

To: XXXXXX
clearpixel.gif

Subject: Resume on Monster
clearpixel.gif

Size: 3 KB

Hello XXX, <-- she even put in the wrong name

Your background looks good for several jobs in your area. Please send me your resume in a word document and you will be contacted. Include your most recent compensation and location requirements.

XXX
AVP of Research & Administration
XXXXXX Company

My question is ... how do I address the compensation part? This is what kills me everytime. My last employer underpaid me by 15K, and now it's coming back to haunt me whenever someone asks me about my salary (this is why I cannot take anything below market going forward). What is the best way to respond to this? Please advise. TIA.:flowers:

I would never state a salary requirement. You could say that you are open to discussion and negotiation with regard to the compensation package. If they could not even get your name right, then that's probably not a good sign either.

I agree with Roo! Never openly disclose your previous salaries until you get the position or are ready to negotiate with them. My boyfriend was going to be underpaid for openly disclosing his Minnesota salary, which was way different from NYC's salaries. He put up a good fight (he's a great negotiator) and told me to never, ever write anything about salaries on paper, emails, etc.

It's very rare in my experience to talk about salary unless they openly state from the beginning what the salary is. A good rule to follow also is knowing that when they offer 50K (just for example), they're probably starting low, so try to negotiate up from that, don't just assume it's concrete. Best of luck!

Oh, and yeah, I wouldn't disclose your prior salary unless you're deep into negotations, and if you were underpaid, you can disclose that and qualify it by saying there was promise of room to grow, etc. and that it didn't materialize.

Kou, ITA with everyone. Don't feel like you need to submit your salary requirements before you've even had the opportunity to meet the company, learn about the position and them have the opportunity to meet YOU!

The primary reason for a salary inquiry this early in the recruitment process is mostly to screen out potential candidates with salary expectations that are WAY ABOVE what the position will pay.

If you have to answer something, try something like, "I'd prefer to discuss compensation after we have had an opportunity to meet/speak about the position and the skills and experiences I could bring to it in the local market."

Good luck!!

That email sound like its from an executive recruiter/'head hunter" instead of a potential employer. They market individuals by ranges of experience and salary requirement. They can certainly by helpful in your job search. However, maybe you wish to look around a little on your own first, in which case you may not wish to respond to this somewhat vague email.
Given your experience and skill level (from your other posts) it sounds like you would be a great asset to another company in your field! Give your self some time. The executive recruiter option will be there for you if you need it. Good luck.. I know your find the right job for you!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the whole salary thing, but watch out with Monster.com as far as "future employers" go. Both my brother and myself have had many many many people e-mail us claiming they have a job that "fits your profile" so like others have said, do your research. Through my experience, 95% of the e-mails we've received have been a waste of time.

if you do let them know what you were given by your former employer...convey that was due to their financial constraints..and also convey that you have much more hands on experience training thean you did ie you are worht sooooo much more than what you previously accepted.

good luck

Thank you everyone for the advice!! I think I've made that mistake too many times. I always felt pressured to be tell them my current salary, which proved to be fatal since I was grossly underpaid. I found a lot of times, the people that i spoke with was not interested in the fact that I had skills. It seemed that the moment they heard my salary, they immediately assumed that I was no good.

I'm facing another dilemma right now. Since I'm also looking for jobs in Asia, it seemed mandatory for me to tell them about my current compensation (also need to tell them my age as well as submitting a picture of myself). How do I get around that? I feel that I'm already going to be short-changed because I'm coming in from the "outside".