Resoling thin-soled boots

kgirl91

Nov 21, 2011
So I bought a pair of suede boots (not a big brand, I can't remember what they are right now) and they have super thin cheap rubber soles. I paid about $40 for the boots, but they were on sale from around $100. I've only worn them a few times but I can already see some wear on the suede by the sole where I assume it comes in contact with the pavement when the ground is uneven/ I take a bad step etc. I would like to get new, thicker grippy soles put on to elevate me a bit above the winter muck and help protect the suede.
Is it possible to get any shoes resoled, or only the higher end leather soled/sewn on sole types? I can't tell how the sole is attached but I can't see stitching on the outside of the boot.
I can take them to a cobbler and ask but I thought it would be nice to get some background first. I would like them to last as long as possible since I don't like to waste anything, especially leather.
TIA!

the cobbler should be able to do it, doesn't have to be higher end or sewn sold.

I just took a pair of Corso Como boots that I literally wore so much that there was a whole in the sole and the heel worn down pretty bad. But my cobbler did a bang up job and they look brand new, cost $35.

you can't add leather tracking soles - it just does not exist. If you want the new sole to be in leather, the surface will always be smooth, which is not ideal for winter.

If you want good tracking, it should be in rubber and it will be glued on. Most soles are glued, that's why you can't see stitching on yours.

I don't want leather soles. I want nice thick rubber soles to lift the suede uppers farther from the pavement. Hopefully the cobbler will have a good solution for me.

Your wording makes it sound like you're considering leather too. Either way, suede is not a good idea in winter and does not last. Nonetheless, if they're 40$, I guess it doesn't matter.

I live in California so none of those things are a big worry. And while obviously suede won't last as long as smooth leather this is very thick, rougher suede and if the lower part is protected with a thicker sole I think it will last quite a while.

I live in California so none of those things are a big worry. And while obviously suede won't last as long as smooth leather this is very thick, rougher suede and if the lower part is protected with a thicker sole I think it will last quite a while.

suede if taken care of properly, can last just as long as any other leather. Be sure to ask the cobbler to treat it with a water repellent spray.

ask the cobbler for Vibram soles, they are well made and last a long time.

Good Luck