Money stolen from wallet-purse returned: what can I do?

doublec31

Mar 3, 2006
I feel stupid even admitting that I was sitting at target with my sister grabbing a bite to eat and left my purse on the back of my chair. Luckily, someone had returned it to guest service, but I just realized they stole the money out of my wallet. I obviously realize this could have been a lot worse, but does anyone know what the next step would be? I actually work at Target in the pharmacy so I was going to call/stop up there once I get off my other job, but should I also file a police report? Or?? I'm still a little panic-stricken, it was only $50 but I'm a student and especially around the holidays, that money goes a long way for me. Thanks girls

I feel stupid even admitting that I was sitting at target with my sister grabbing a bite to eat and left my purse on the back of my chair. Luckily, someone had returned it to guest service, but I just realized they stole the money out of my wallet. I obviously realize this could have been a lot worse, but does anyone know what the next step would be? I actually work at Target in the pharmacy so I was going to call/stop up there once I get off my other job, but should I also file a police report? Or?? I'm still a little panic-stricken, it was only $50 but I'm a student and especially around the holidays, that money goes a long way for me. Thanks girls

Sorry about the trouble. The person who returned your purse might be on tape.
However, this person might not be the thief.
I don't know if you want to pursue the matter but maybe you could speak to the Target manager or head of security to guide you.
Filing a police report could be time consuming.

Target has security cameras everywhere. You should inform loss prevention. They can look at the security footage to see who took it...likely a passing customer(?) and if lucky, that person did a transaction pre/post theft via a credit card, debit card, etc. so that the person's ID is captured and will be easy to apprehend.

Not sure if Target loss prevention requires a police report to be filed first before reviewing the footage, but I've had them look at security footage for me because the cashier mistakenly charged me for an extra item.

Good luck! :flowers:

Target has security cameras everywhere. You should inform loss prevention. They can look at the security footage to see who took it...likely a passing customer(?) and if lucky, that person did a transaction pre/post theft via a credit card, debit card, etc. so that the person's ID is captured and will be easy to apprehend.

Not sure if Target loss prevention requires a police report to be filed first before reviewing the footage, but I've had them look at security footage for me because the cashier mistakenly charged me for an extra item.

Good luck! :flowers:

would contact their loss prevention department to find out what steps

you would take....sorry that this happened... but usually people that

do these things, look for easy targets.... you should treat yourself to

a bag hook.....and enjoy the holidays