Workplace what job suits quiet people

i actually think a great starter job for you would be something in retail. i was a fairly quiet person but working in retail and having to deal with customers really helped me open up

Yup, I agree that retail would be a good starter job as well. I used to be a super quiet person too, but working in retail has really helped me to open up and be more engaging.

I suggest a job in finance (accountant, controller etc) It pays well and is fairly quiet.

I am a quiet and shy person too but studied marketing and ended up in a position where I need to lead a team and give presentations all the time, why oh why?? :sad:

If by 'quiet' you mean you don't like a lot of interaction with people (other than a few co-workers) or confrontations with unhappy customers, then accounting, payroll, law clerk (research), IT, corporate librarian, book editor, anything 'behind the scenes'...

If you are still in school maybe your guidance counselor can set you up with a test of some sort. I remember taking one in high school (long series of questions like 'would you rather do x or y') that identified what types of jobs a person was temperamentally suited to (a range of some that required university and some that didn't) to give a starting point to think about.

Yup, I agree that retail would be a good starter job as well. I used to be a super quiet person too, but working in retail has really helped me to open up and be more engaging.

Don't do retail sales... I'm a really quiet person and retail sales was the most difficult job ever for me. Try support associate at a retail location. You still have to interact with coworkers and some customers, but you don't have the pressure of making customers buy stuff and tell them to sign up for credit cards. You have goals doing that and if you don't reach them, you do get in trouble. I am comfortable with support jobs.

Don't do retail sales... I'm a really quiet person and retail sales was the most difficult job ever for me. Try support associate at a retail location. You still have to interact with coworkers and some customers, but you don't have the pressure of making customers buy stuff and tell them to sign up for credit cards. You have goals doing that and if you don't reach them, you do get in trouble. I am comfortable with support jobs.

ITA. I actually started out in sales and it was really a horrible experience. I didn't get in trouble for not meeting goals because my store didn't really stress them, but the managers were super persistent about making goals every hour. Maybe that's why I hated my first retail job! But I'm working as sales support now at a different company, and it's way better. I'm more comfortable in my environment, which makes me a happier worker. :smile:

proofreader, transcription, web design, librarian, clerical/administrative, file clerk.

writer, research assistant, accountant, courtroom stenographer, chauffeur... I think a lot of jobs in engineering/mathematics/physics and in publishing fields are low key (except for deadlines)

depends on the environment you end up working in. No matter how quiet your work environment, there's still the need for periodic meetings with staff, etc.

Teaching - I know it sounds strange but it really encourages a person who is quiet to be more assertive and on your toes not only with students but with parents, staff and administration. Though it can be quite stressful. I'm a quiet person and when I get nervous I tend to stutter (sometimes it can get pretty bad) and teaching really pushed me to be more assertive and confident regardless of whether I stuttered or not!

I was always a quiet person, but I found that retail really shaped who I am.

I started in retail when I was 16 until I graded from college (22), I found that it really forced me to interact with different people. I think as you get older and you get into your actual career, social interaction is very important. It's crucial to develop interpersonal skills.

I am a quiet person & I work as a medical transcriptionist at a hospital. I rarely talk at all. 100% of my job is listening to doctors talk, then I type what they say & put it together in a medical record note. I don't have to deal with ANY work drama, no one hassles me, no one is bothering me, I just sit at the computer & type all day. It gets kind of boring sometimes, but it's a basically stress free job. I would rather be a little bored than stressed out.

honestly...whatever you like doing. It doesnt matter that your quiet. I have always been SUPER quiet and shy but i wouldnt let it get in the way of what I would like to do as a job. I work at a place that I have to deal with the most insane people all the time and I got use to talking to lots of people/ dealing with angry people and all that quite well. In fact think of it as a way to become less quiet:P That is unless you would like to work in a library...just dont worry about finding a job just because your shy:smile: