Horrendous experience with Paypal! Utter nightmare!

mizsunshyne

Mar 8, 2010
From reading all the other horrible stories from here, I never thought once I would fall victim to fraud. I was totally wrong.

On 12/13, I had received an email from PP confirming payment for an Iphone 4s on fleabay. WTF?! I wasn't online all morning. I log into my PP account and surely enough the amount of $610 was subtracted from my PP account and bank that was linked. I immediately opened an unauthorized dispute then called a PP agent. The first person I spoke with told me to call my bank to stop the process. I called my bank and had someone put in a stop to the transfer but didn't guarantee it would be stopped. Luckily for me, the seller's ebay username was on my PP page so I contacted her to prevent her from shipping out the phone to that scammer in MA.

On 12/16, my case was suddenly closed and replaced with another case on the grounds of "bank inquiry". Thus I called PP to see why my case was closed and this dispute was open. One person explained to me because my bank had stopped the transfer thus it was double jeopardy and one had to close, but the new case was still in review as unauthorized dispute.

On 12/18, PP had closed that case without my knowledge or updates as to why they closed it and the hold on my funds was released to the seller of the Iphone. (I am sure PP also sent her email confirmation to give her "ok to ship.") I called PP where the first person was so rude to me I couldn't continue to speak to him anymore. So I hung up and called another which he then transferred me to the limitations department to explain what had happened with my two cases. He stated that my bank was at fault for sending them the wrong code which should have been R10 for unauthorized. So I called my bank right after I got off the phone with the limitations department and had someone look into the stopped transfer. He said the money never left my bank account in the first place so they didn't need to do anything more. Furthermore, he explained that PP had never contacted them about the case or sent in any code. There was no document in my account/file that stated otherwise.

Back to PP I go. I again explained my situation only to be transferred to someone else to explain my situation yet again. Finally, the last agent I spoke with said, "Paypal didn't fully investigate the claims." She reopened my claim and said I would be notified of any changes to the case. There was nothing else she could do and apologized for the misunderstanding.

Ugh never in my life had I have to make so many phone calls to PP in one week! I am so stressed out I am on the verge of tears. I had explained to several agents I spoke with that whoever is investigating my case is at fault for not doing his/her job. I am utterly frustrated and very emotional right now. I am calling tomorrow as well first thing in the morning even though they said they will have someone call me. I will fight this!

I thought I'd share my story because now I know this can happen to anyone. Thank you for reading my story. I am keeping my head up. And yes I will be filing a police report for fraud/theft, wherever this situation fits.

Oh I forgot to add. Scammer had used fleabay to purchase the phone. He deleted his address in my PP settings but it still shows on the transaction page. I looked him up as well as his shipping address.

Fleabay had removed the Iphone listing so I couldn't find it. If it wasn't removed, I'd post it here.

So this Scammer had his own ebay account but connected it to your Paypal account? How did he get into your Paypal account? Not only would he have to know the email address that you used to open that account (which anyone who ever did business with you would know) but he would have to know your password.
I wish that Paypal checked your IP address to make sure that it is the one that you usually use. That would have made this never happened.
This guy committed a crime. Since you have his name and address, you should report him to authorities. At the very least, Ebay should ban him.
I'm sorry this happened to you. I am in dread that it will happen to me sometime. I opened a separate bank account to use for my Paypal after reading other people's stories.

They deducted the amount from my PP account so I have a negative balance. The bank transfer was stopped as I had requested since it was done early in the morning.

You're not making any sense. If they money was taken from your Paypal account, what does your bank have to do with it and vice versa? I think you're either confused or leaving out details such as the transaction was partly funded by your PP balance and partly by your bank account?

If the funds were sent to the seller, and she knows a scammer hijacked your account, won't she return the funds to you?

I'm confused.

Let's see if I read the OP's posts correctly.

Summary:

OP noticed an iPhone 4S was purchased using the OP's eBay account. However, the OP did not purchase an iPhone 4S.

The scammer also hijacked OP's paypal account by logging in as the OP and changing the OP's name and address in paypal to someone else's name and address but leaving OP's checking account info. Then the scammer made a large purchase using the OP's eBay and paypal account. The item purchased would then ship to the address that the scammer had entered into paypal.

There wasn't enough money in OP's paypal account to cover the cost of the fraudulent purchase. OP's paypal account is linked to OP's checking account. When there isn't enough money in the OP's paypal account to cover a purchase in full, the remaining money is automatically transferred from the OP's checking account to the OP's paypal account to cover the cost of the purchase.

Despite the OP calling paypal repeatedly to get this cleared up, paypal has not credited the fraudulent transaction back to the OP's paypal account. Therefore, the OP's paypal account is still showing a negative balance. (The OP's bank stopped the checking account funds transfer to the OP's paypal account, but the fraudulent transaction still shows in the OP's paypal account as a real transaction.)

Oh I forgot to add. Scammer had used fleabay to purchase the phone. He deleted his address in my PP settings but it still shows on the transaction page. I looked him up as well as his shipping address.

Fleabay had removed the Iphone listing so I couldn't find it. If it wasn't removed, I'd post it here.

Sorry, OP.
Make sure to change all passwords in all your online accounts. The scammer could have had access thru your computer.
What paypal is doing to you is insane,!
Keep us posted and thanks for sharing!

I just went online and deleted all cc and bank info on paypal, save one. I'm done with fleabay and paypal, just can't trust them to do the right thing. I've heard so many horror stories and might be going through one of my own so it's just not worth it anymore. :sad:

You're not making any sense. If they money was taken from your Paypal account, what does your bank have to do with it and vice versa? I think you're either confused or leaving out details such as the transaction was partly funded by your PP balance and partly by your bank account?

If the funds were sent to the seller, and she knows a scammer hijacked your account, won't she return the funds to you?

I'm confused.

:wacko:

Originally Posted by mizsunshyne They deducted the amount from my PP account so I have a negative balance. The bank transfer was stopped as I had requested since it was done early in the morning.

I'm confused.
It certainly does make sense. When you make a purchase and if the money isn't in the paypal account, the amount is immediately deducted from the account and PP goes to the bank account on record to make the transfer to get the funds. It's done as an e-check and takes a few days. And since the OP realized that the unauthorized transaction took place, she caught it before the transfer was completed so her PP account shows the withdrawal though it wasn't completed by her bank.

Let's see if I read the OP's posts correctly.

Summary:

OP noticed an iPhone 4S was purchased using the OP's eBay account. However, the OP did not purchase an iPhone 4S.
As I'm understanding, I don't believe the scammer hijacked the ebay account too. I think it's only the PP account to pay for the item.

--------

OP, what you need to do IMMEDIATELY is call your credit card company and have the account flagged so PP can't charge the card for the iPhone purchase.

If a bank transfer fails, paypal will go to the c.c. company for payment and in this case, since your bank will deny the payment, you want to stop the c.c. from making payment. Let them know it's an unauthorized transaction.

:sunshine: Good morning everyone!

Yes Moon you are reading this exactly the way I want. The scammer hijacked my PP account as well as the email that is correlated with it.

BB I received word from PP that they won't be crediting my CC as far as I'm concerned. At least they emailed me about it. And yes, the scammer used his own fleabay account.

I changed my password at least 5 times for PP and my email account. My passwords were pretty decent too. I never gave them out to anyone so this scammer was probably good at his job.

For those confused, I contacted my bank to stop the transfer and that's what had happened. When the bank transfer had failed and PP had nothing to hold onto, they yanked the remaining from my PP account and that led to a negative balance. Berrywriter, the only reason my bank got into this mess in the first place was because the scammer tried to draw funds from it for payment. My bank account was linked onto my PP account.

In actuality, it is only PP that is driving me in circles as they are not protecting me like they say they will.

I called last night to have my original case opened but the agent said there was no way to rehold the funds once the case first closed. Now I'm just waiting and calling PP to check my case as I don't trust them anymore. Argh!

Currently I sold a few things so I have been receiving payment from my buyers so that pushed my account back up to a nonnegative amount.

Whateve, as far as I am concerned, PP has done zero investigation for me and prematurely closed my cases because the last agent I spoke with found no evidence or documents attached to my cases. This gives me more reason to stop using PP and fleabay altogether. I was expecting them to tell me that that transaction looked shady and off. Evidence would have been IP address, shipping address on transaction page and settings (scammer deleted his address thinking it would just disappear), and my history of transactions where it shows I have only been purchasing crafts and clothing accessories. The purchase of an Iphone 4s out of the blue? I haven't bought a phone online since 5 years ago. I digress. PP didn't have any evidence to share with me.

Yay! Just got off the phone with a PP agent and she told me the login for 12/13 was "out of the country" and she took note of it. Does this mean good news for me? Yes it does! This is the best thing I received so far. I have to keep an eye on my account this week for any changes or updates.

hope there able to get your money back for you this is just crappy and is too much stress for no reason.

Yay! Just got off the phone with a PP agent and she told me the login for 12/13 was "out of the country" and she took note of it. Does this mean good news for me? Yes it does! This is the best thing I received so far. I have to keep an eye on my account this week for any changes or updates.

hope there able to get your money back for you this is just crappy and is too much stress for no reason.

Thank you dear! I was going to use my earnings for gifts this Xmas but because PP yanked it I can't do anything about it. Just perfect timing to get my PP account hijacked but I am keeping my head up and fighting this through!