Do you think Diamond prices will go down anytime soon? Good time to buy a diamond?

sjunky13

Dreaming............
O.G.
Dec 17, 2006
I went with hubby to price rings, stones and settings. I am pretty sure on what I am getting. I do want to upgrade my stone a half a size. Prices went up crazy this year.
Do you think they will go down, stay stable or rise even more. Is it a good time to buy a diamond?

Good question. I really have no idea. But I will guess! I think before Christmas and Valentines, diamonds will be at peak price. Certainly look now. But I would never do a purchase of a diamond during this time. Someone told me on an older thread that August was best time of year. Good luck!

It's not likely theyll go back down till at the very earliest after Valentines, IF they go down at all. They are going up and up, and anything already out there is not likely to go down in price because they were already bought at that price and no one will lose money on a diamond already out there, the "decrease" would most likely just be the new stones hitting from the cutters.

If you want to do it, I'd do it now, if you find a stone you're happy with and get a good price on. Demand is pretty high right now, despite the economy here, because it's a global market. And prices reflect that.

It's not likely theyll go back down till at the very earliest after Valentines, IF they go down at all. They are going up and up, and anything already out there is not likely to go down in price because they were already bought at that price and no one will lose money on a diamond already out there, the "decrease" would most likely just be the new stones hitting from the cutters.

If you want to do it, I'd do it now, if you find a stone you're happy with and get a good price on. Demand is pretty high right now, despite the economy here, because it's a global market. And prices reflect that.
with a weak economy I think there may be more negotiating room but that will be seller by seller (case y case). Further, it really depends on the stone. Big sweet spot stones are not going to be going down.

I don't really know! I thought only the price of gold could go up and down.

However as the others said, prices (of many things, not just diamonds) usually go up during Christmas, because more people shop for presents and stuff. Therefore, I suggest you'd wait until all this Christmas fuzz is off!

Not really factoring holidays, they've been skyrocketing since February of this year by leaps and bounds. Unless demand wanes or supplies drastically increase in the larger and "sweet spot" sizes, I don't see that changing a lot. If I had to rebuy what I wear now this year, there is seriously no way I could. It went up by more than half the total I paid for it two years ago.

It's also like Hermesaholic said, going to vary by retailer and by what's available. It's a constantly moving market.

I actually read not too long ago that the price of cut diamonds in proportion to the increase of gold & platinum was artificially low, but the price of raw diamonds was dramatically inflating.

I wish I could remember my source though :thinking:

They discussed that on PS for a while. But that's part of why they skyrocketed this year, a lot of "market correction". But the benchmark sizes of 1.5/2/2.5+ are rising exponentially beyond just market correction, mostly due to demand in other parts of the world, especially Hong Kong. The Chinese market is actually outdoing the American market.

You may be interested to know that the weekly Rapaport reports have indicated a slight decrease in prices over the past 2 month, and traders are willing to give bigger discounts now. The larger brands may not have adjusted their prices, but if you go to independent retailers, you may be able snag a good deal.

I think seeing so many of Elizabeth Taylors jewelry purchased by Asian consumers is a large indication that's where the market is going to be.

We purchased my ering in February before the crazy hikes. We had been looking since December of the year before and although supply was low, we are happy we found one at a good price. I wouldn't assume prices would drop after valentines day because in my case, it jumped like crazy. Start shopping now and if you find something you love don't be afraid to buy it on the chance it will decrease in price.

Like everything else...depends on supply/demand. Good point to stick to an independant supplier/retailer.
I could not afford my high end jewelry now, either.
Maybe wait till after Christmas/Valentine's Day................................
Not surprised about the Asian market.

It's insane how much diamonds have gone up. I went on Blue Nile to price, just for fun, the diamond I would have gotten if I had not got the Tiffany route and was surprised that for the current price, I could've gone almost another half carat up in size!!

I've always wanted a RB diamond and my guy and I had talked about possibly getting one as an "upgrade" (and moving the soleste to the right hand) in about 5 years, but with how prices are now, it won't be for a loonnng time!

You will almost never get what you paid for your diamond in return unless it's a diamond with provenance or is a specific size/color/clarity/idealcut combo that's in demand.

I don't think diamonds are ever going to go down in price, unless the world's population decreases for some reason. There are more people and thus, there is more demand for not only diamonds, gold and platinum, but for water, food, timber, fuel, etc...