First time sending expensive handbag to United States, need advice

floriade

Feb 22, 2009
Hi ladies,
I sold my Chanel GST to a US buyer (I'm in Australia), I'm going to send it via express mail international which requires signature on delivery, has tracking and insured to it's full value (i declare full value $1,500 on custom form)
Since this is my first time filling up the custom form, I'm not sure what to write. Should I write Chanel handbag (pre-owned) on description field or just write handbag (pre-owned) without mentioning the brand?
Next question is what to write on purpose of export, i was thinking to say personal usage, is that correct??
I read a lot of dramas here about item get held up at custom therefore I'm trying to do everything right so my buyer can get the bag as quickly as she can
Any advice would be appreciated:smile:
TIA :smile::smile:

Used leather handbag for personal usage. Don't put any brand name on it, I'm afraid too many eyes see that form and someone might try to steal it if they knew what kind of bag it was. Just make sure you send it express mail and it should be fine.

I post to the USA a lot. I just put "used bag" on it. And the exact sale price in US$. When it is over US$200, the recipient can be taxed, but may not be. Over US$1k, there is a high likelihood of taxing at about 9%? On my forms, I put merchandise - it makes it very simple and the items just glide through customs. I would not put the brand on it.

I would however, put a packing slip inside it with the details of the bag and photocopy that.

Also, (no doubt you'd do this anyway) make sure there is at least one layer of plastic in your package in case some blockhead manages to leave it in the rain. I put a layer of tissue between the bag and any packaging - even better if it has it's original dust bag. The postage you're planning to use sounds like it will go hand-to-hand anyway, but if you plan for the unexpected, it will arrive in beautiful condition.

I don't put the brand on customs forms. 'Pre-owned leather handbag' will suffice. I don't remember seeing a purpose of export part, so I can't help you there, sorry!

Used leather handbag for personal usage. Don't put any brand name on it, I'm afraid too many eyes see that form and someone might try to steal it if they knew what kind of bag it was. Just make sure you send it express mail and it should be fine.

I post to the USA a lot. I just put "used bag" on it. And the exact sale price in US$. When it is over US$200, the recipient can be taxed, but may not be. Over US$1k, there is a high likelihood of taxing at about 9%? On my forms, I put merchandise - it makes it very simple and the items just glide through customs. I would not put the brand on it.

I would however, put a packing slip inside it with the details of the bag and photocopy that.

Also, (no doubt you'd do this anyway) make sure there is at least one layer of plastic in your package in case some blockhead manages to leave it in the rain. I put a layer of tissue between the bag and any packaging - even better if it has it's original dust bag. The postage you're planning to use sounds like it will go hand-to-hand anyway, but if you plan for the unexpected, it will arrive in beautiful condition.

I would also put a security tag on the bag and take pics of the bag you are shipping...

Good luck..

Thanks for the advice ladies:smile::smile:

you guys are the best!