911 - Brand New Bag ALL TASSELS SPLIT - what to do??

cali_to_ny

O.G.
Feb 10, 2010
Hi everyone - I ordered a blue suede town from Matches and I am absolutely 100% in :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: with the color and the bag overall, BUT...as soon as I took it out of the dustbag I noticed EVERY SINGLE TASSEL IS SPLIT!! :wtf:

They are all split or splitting up to the zipper (even the one holding the mirror that is tied on the ends, has splits in the middle! :shocked:) I can't see any glue residue either, it appears that the suede tassels are pressed together but there is no adhesive? On my agneau bags the tassels are all tightly glued together. Could this be a defect on all suede bags or at least this color suede?

I am beyond :cry::cry::cry: because I totally adore the bag but I have no idea what to do. Even if ONE of the tassels was intact I could deal with it because I would put it on the front zipper and tuck the bunny ears in since that's how I carry my bags anyway. But every single one?? If I exchange for another, will it be only a matter of time before all of those split too?

Has anyone had a good result re-glueing their tassels? Any specific product to use?

Finally - unsure about the how Matches is with returns. They shipped this one immediately and it arrived within a few days of placing my order (I'm in NY) but I think it may be a hassle to pack up (I already cut the DHL bag that the box arrived in) and ship back? Hopefully someone there will recognize that the split tassels aren't meant to be that way? The bag is otherwise in perfect new condition with the interior packing, all cards, etc.

Here are some pics. ok ladies please give me your expert advice - WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

Thank you!! :flowers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0178.jpg
    DSCF0178.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSCF0179.jpg
    DSCF0179.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,071
  • DSCF0181.jpg
    DSCF0181.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 975
  • DSCF0183.jpg
    DSCF0183.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,015
  • DSCF0188.jpg
    DSCF0188.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 965
Hi,
I also orderedmy Black suede Velo RH from Matches and no split tassels. The shop does ship out very fast that's why I like ordering from them.
If I were you, I would do some research online about the suede material and what glue to use and look up online about the product that was referred and read about the reviews on that product and see other recommendations. that's what I would do.
If you plan to return to Matches, you could but they would charge you for the return cost and other charges. Also, I don't know how they would feel if you returned the bag with the split tassels.

Hi,
I also orderedmy Black suede Velo RH from Matches and no split tassels. The shop does ship out very fast that's why I like ordering from them.
If I were you, I would do some research online about the suede material and what glue to use and look up online about the product that was referred and read about the reviews on that product and see other recommendations. that's what I would do.
If you plan to return to Matches, you could but they would charge you for the return cost and other charges. Also, I don't know how they would feel if you returned the bag with the split tassels.
THANK YOU - good to know about your Velo. I also had a suede folk for a bit last year and those tassels were fine too. It's almost like on this bag they forgot to use the glue or something. Very odd. I do love this color and if I can find a good product to use (will check the care and maintenance threads) I would almost rather trust myself to glue them correctly rather than take a chance on ordering another one.

UPDATE: I called Matches today and they were wonderful about accepting the return with no hassle. They offered to refund my cc AND shipping charges. They will check their inventory to see if this is an issue with their other bags and let me know, so that I can repurchase if I would like.

Definitely a disappointment with the tassels but good to know they have great customer service. I would absolutely buy from them again!

cali_to_ny said:
UPDATE: I called Matches today and they were wonderful about accepting the return with no hassle. They offered to refund my cc AND shipping charges. They will check their inventory to see if this is an issue with their other bags and let me know, so that I can repurchase if I would like.

Definitely a disappointment with the tassels but good to know they have great customer service. I would absolutely buy from them again!

Of course that is what they should of done! It was a defect and they never should have sent the bag to you. I'm glad it worked out for you!!

I have three suede folks, all purchased second hand, and all three came to me with split tassels too. I think there's a problem with the glue used on the suede bags. I just left the tassels on in their split state, they seem a bit more robust than the normal leather tassels when they split.

I have had good success re-glueing normal tassels, I just use a flexible craft glue. It's just a bit finicky to do but no big deal. My feeling is that even if you exchange the bag for one with intact tassels they'll split in no time. It just seems to be the way with the suede bags, unfortunately.

Of course that is what they should of done! It was a defect and they never should have sent the bag to you. I'm glad it worked out for you!!
Thank you! They were quite apologetic about their QC and the gal I spoke to thought it must have definitely been packed up by someone unfamiliar with Bal and not knowing the tassels were not supposed to be that way.

I have three suede folks, all purchased second hand, and all three came to me with split tassels too. I think there's a problem with the glue used on the suede bags.
I definitely agree - the tassels on this bag seemed pressed together with zero adhesive and were splitting up and down the entire length!

^^^
Agree.....I have some info in the maintenance thread. I'll go get it.

scroll to see the glue

http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga/a-good-omen-for-2-oldie-reveals-709491-5.html
THANK YOU so much! I found some great info there for when the inevitable happens on the suede bags. I think I'm going to hold out for something in bleu indigo and hope that satisfies my craving for pretty blue :biggrin:

I say leave-em. My 2006 cornflower blue Day has split tassels, and it did since I got it. At first it bothered me a bit, but I like it now.
I don't mind the look of split tassels per se, and on some bags I think they look cool and funky, but I wanted this bag to be a little more refined (with the structured town style and suede/pewter hardware) so the extra fringe just wasn't working for me.

I have three suede folks, all purchased second hand, and all three came to me with split tassels too. I think there's a problem with the glue used on the suede bags. I just left the tassels on in their split state, they seem a bit more robust than the normal leather tassels when they split.

I have had good success re-glueing normal tassels, I just use a flexible craft glue. It's just a bit finicky to do but no big deal. My feeling is that even if you exchange the bag for one with intact tassels they'll split in no time. It just seems to be the way with the suede bags, unfortunately.

What glue did you use for your normal BBag?