Is there a reason why I am keeping these boxes?

spanielpup

Feb 8, 2011
I have been doing "winter cleaning" and find that my closet looks so much nicer and cleaner without the shoe boxes, (plus finding my shoes is a million times easier). However, I can't seem to part with the boxes. I shoved them all under the bed for now and am begging my DH to get a large box so I can put them storage. I don't want to just toss. He thinks I am insane. Is there any good reason for me to keep the boxes? Or am I just a shoe box hoarder?

I used to not keep my shoe boxes, but now I only keep the shoe boxes from high end designer shoes (Louboutin, Prada, YSL, Manolo, Lanvin, etc) in case I ever decide to sell them. I also keep the shoe boxes for boots because I find them easier to store them that way. But other shoe boxes (Tory Burch, Vera Wang Lavender, etc) I don't keep and toss.

I keep all my shoe boxes. I take pictures of the shoes and tape them on the side of the box so I always know which shoes are in which boxes. I store all the shoes in the boxes so they don't get dirty or crushed.

I line the boxes up in my closet.

i was keeping all shoe boxes no matter what the brand but it started to become a problem, i recently just purged all my lower end shoeboxes and am only keeping the designer ones. i have an ikea bookcase that i am keeping my shoes in so they don't get crushed.

That is my logic as well. I understand that they take up a lot of space and annoy my husband. I proposed getting a wardrobe box and sticking them in storage and he freaked out. I explained my logic and he said that if I was going to sell them I should sell them NOW. But I am thinking long term here. Does the box actually help the resale value?

That is my logic as well. I understand that they take up a lot of space and annoy my husband. I proposed getting a wardrobe box and sticking them in storage and he freaked out. I explained my logic and he said that if I was going to sell them I should sell them NOW. But I am thinking long term here. Does the box actually help the resale value?

I would think so...

The box is PART of the product (and when you return shoes, they always say that). It's like... buying a hamburger and eating only the meat lol... I'm not going to buy a pair of designer shoes without the box, but that's just me.

I keep my shoes stored in boxes with photos taped to the outside as well. I really like walking into my closet and seeing everything organized, with no clutter. I also feel like I treasure my shoes more and take better care of them this way. Granted, I only have between 20-25 pairs of shoes (I have purged myself of all lower-end shoes and am sticking to a quality-over-quantity motto for now), so if I had a mountain of shoe boxes I might not go to the trouble. The shoes that are in heavy rotation stay by the door, and if they are taken out of rotation due to a change in season or taste, back in the boxes they go.

I agree with keeping the shoes in the boxes.....I almost will never buy from ebay without the box....The box is the only place where the name of the style is printed......so without the box, not sure what style one is wearing or selling or buying....The box is part of the product....

I keep the high end shoes in the boxes to keep them clean and structured. For the other shoes, I use them a LOT, but I end up using the boxes to store bills/receipts (sadly, I have a lot of those lol), then seal them annually and store them.

I also keep all the high-end boxes. You're not crazy. I would get a wardrobe box too! Everything else is in clear plastic boxes from Container Store.

When I took photos for my collection thread, I stored all the side photos in Picasa, then I can flip through them online or on my iPhone when outfit planning :smile:

I too keep my boxes. Same reason I keep my handbag boxes, I like the way they look and I can never get another box unless I buy another item from the store. Although it is a pain to keep the boxes, I can't bear to part with them (I even keep the shopping bags they come in, I know I'm weird).