One-Brand-Only Ladies! Please tell us about it!

isabellam

O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
Hi! I am really curious about women who carry only one brand of bag. I'm thinking of ladies like our MaiTai (and I'm sure there are others, but I just can't think now...)who have refined their personal style to the point that one brand of bags fits them like a glove. They do not stray or switch brands. They are almost living, breathing brand endorsements. (Although that sounds a bit demeaning, I don't mean it that way.) The product brand and the woman's chosen personal image are exactly in sync.

Here are a few questions to stimulate discussion:

Are you someone like this?
Do you know anyone like this?
How does one get to be this way?
What do you like about being this way? What is a challenge?
Is it a discipline, or does it feel effortless to you? Why?
Are you tempted to stray to other brands? Do you give in? Why or why not?

I am definitely NOT this type of woman. In fact I'm much more of a handbag whore. The closest I get to being handbag OCD is keeping an eye out for Balenciaga, Burberry, Alexander Wange and Orla Kiely for the summer months. I also dabble in faux leather and High Street brands. So yesterday I bought a small Oasis satchel on impluse because it was very cheap. It's faux leather and really cute, bright orange and very old-school. I thought it would be good for airport travel in the next few days. But being an impulse buy I quickly realized that although the bag had lots of compartments for documents, phone, etc, I'd end up opening and closing it (with magnetic clasps that don't always align properly) all the time. So I ended up packing my stuff into the new green leather Burberry cross-body I've been loving for the past few weeks. But my 'cheap' bag still looks as cute as ever!

You have a point there, my dear! :lol: Maybe I'll give this thread a chance for a day or two and then try it out in H or LV.
This is so true! Add BV! My guess would be when a customer is so happy with their purchase they feel inclined to buy another from that concern and if the company is consistently good, they just continue buying from them. I find this true most especially in the conservative line.

^ :yes: great experience with the products, good customer service and an excellent relationship with a loyal SA has a lot to do with repeat purchasing

I can't be loyal to one brand. I see too much from brand across the boards that I like. I have brands that I prefer over others, but could never be faithful to just one.

I guess I have to admit to now being a one-brand person. However, because I started out with other brand(s), I like to keep looking around and checking things out, mostly because I'm curious to see where others are throwing their money. If I see something I like, I compare it to what I have, and whatever it is loses out. There's nothing to beat the designer/bag I finally ended up with, IMO. Why: The quality and craftmanship, the care that goes in to each bag, the 'made in Italy' (and they mean it), the customer service, and the customer service years AFTER you've made a purchase. I'm content.

To answer your questions in particular:

How does one get to be this way? Purely accidental, for me. I found my first bag at such an incredible price I couldn't ignore it - the fact that I loved it beyond all measure when I received it blew me away.

What do you like about being this way? What is a challenge? I like the fact that I have finally found what works for me, and I am no longer on the endless search for perfection. The challenge is not buying it in every color (in this price range, it's not affordable for me). On the flip side, it keeps my closet free for other things. :biggrin:

Is it a discipline, or does it feel effortless to you? Why? Effortless. I now know what works, and it's easy.

Are you tempted to stray to other brands? Do you give in? Why or why not? No, not at all.

What do you like about being this way? What is a challenge? I like the fact that I have finally found what works for me, and I am no longer on the endless search for perfection.

Indiaink--I am curious. What keeps you involved in TPF?

I think if I had found perfection, I would lose interest. After I bought my condo in 2007, I could not quit looking at what else was for sale in the neighborhood, but that finally wore off after about 18 months because I didn't see anything else I liked better. I would think it would be the same with finding the perfect bag. It would be hard to stop looking for a while just because it was such a habit, but eventually, after not finding anything better, it would get boring for me. So what about TPF maintains your interest?

I have to say I am a bit of a 'player' myself when it comes to bags and most other things. That doesn't mean that I don't have my favourite/s but...

1. my style lies between a few different brands (after all, most of us are not actually handbag designers - I bet Stella McCartney and Pheobe Philo never have shop anywhere else but SM and Celine)

Ladies that stick to one must feel totally at home with the designer/team s/he always buy from

2. Some brands are better at certain types of bags but not others

Maybe über loyal customers only carry one type of bag too

3. There are whole seasons when my usual go-to shops are totally out of step with what I'm 'feeling'

Prob one brand people just don't buy anything when that happens.

4. We are talking shops and handbags not a football team, a club or a set of friends

sometimes (when I am feeling wicked :devil:smile: I do think some people only buy at a certain place because they think they can buy themselves popularity, status, cool, beauty or other things that money can't buy.