RFID technology in our handbags

BeeBee03

Oct 16, 2007
Hi everyone!

I'm not quite sure if this subject has already been covered on the forum because I conducted a thread/post search and nothing came up. I recently purchased a fendi chameleon tote and found this tag in the interior zip pocket and it really sparked my curiosity. I've tried to do my research online and basically what I've deduced is that it's just some sort of tracking device. Are any of you more knowledgable about RFID and how it works exactly (more specifically in handbags)? :thinking:

TIA!

Attachments

• photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 3,990
I'm eager to hear from someone who knows about this. I'm all for anti-counterfit tactics, but I'm concerned about ME being tracked somehow. Someone please tell me I'm paranoid.

I dunno. I'd stick the bag in the microwave if you were really worried (although that might do other funny things to the bag!), or just keep it wrapped in tin foil ;)

I did a paper on RFID technology back in first year of university. Basically it's to track a product to determine whether it's in the storage or out of the storage. In your case, the purse, I'm not sure if you could be located while using the bag, but I don't think the RFID system is powerful enough to track where in the world you are while using that specific product.

It's exactly what it says it is. Another tool to fight fakes, nothing more, nothing less. I think it's hella cool!

Hi everyone!

I'm not quite sure if this subject has already been covered on the forum because I conducted a thread/post search and nothing came up. I recently purchased a fendi chameleon tote and found this tag in the interior zip pocket and it really sparked my curiosity. I've tried to do my research online and basically what I've deduced is that it's just some sort of tracking device. Are any of you more knowledgable about RFID and how it works exactly (more specifically in handbags)? :thinking:

TIA!

The data in the RFID chip does NOT CHANGE, there's NO tracking ability at all. The data is merely identifying the bag, nothing more, nothing less. It's like having a sewn-in authenticity label, only in the OP's case the tag is not attached.

You can read a white paper about it here - this is from 2008 but still highly relevant to the questions posed here.

ETA: How is it used to fight counterfeits? Say a whole shipping container of bags comes in to NYC from another country ... how do you check all of those bags to make they are real? If you've got that RFID chip in the bags, the scanner used will pick it up and show they are the real deal.

The data in the RFID chip does NOT CHANGE, there's NO tracking ability at all. The data is merely identifying the bag, nothing more, nothing less. It's like having a sewn-in authenticity label, only in the OP's case the tag is not attached.

You can read a white paper about it here - this is from 2008 but still highly relevant to the questions posed here.

ETA: How is it used to fight counterfeits? Say a whole shipping container of bags comes in to NYC from another country ... how do you check all of those bags to make they are real? If you've got that RFID chip in the bags, the scanner used will pick it up and show they are the real deal.

Thank you :smile: !

Reactions: CoCoBro
The RFID tag is actually attached to the bag. What the OP posted (the photo) is a card insert to explain that the bag has an RFID tag. RFID's are like barcodes but so much better. It contains all the information about your Fendi bag to ensure that when you do take it to an official Fendi boutique for repairs for example - they will scan it and know that it is an authentic, that it came from example "New York Fendi Boutique" and it's model / SKU number etc.

Don't worry about tracking, RFID's are not for that. Also, you can choose to cut off the RFID tag - but at risk of forever losing your "authenticity tag".

I hope this helps :smile:

Actually, RFID is something to worry about in general. Especially passports with RFID tags.

Hypothetical worst case scenario regarding bag RFID tags:

This particular use could only be used to track you if each bag has a different tag and when you buy the bag, your name gets added to a database that then gets shared with say "big brother". Then every time you pass by an RFID reader connected to big brother, he would know you were at that location. Of course, if you sell the bag privately, the accuracy of said database would be screwed up.

Reactions: Audrey* and CoCoBro