I probably will feel silly once I get an answer... but where would one buy a compass?

Cait

only once you live
Dec 11, 2005
This might be a stupid question, and truthfully: I haven't even gone a lookin'.

It's an inside joke, so it doesn't have to be a top of the line one, but where would one find a compass? Mountain Equipment Co-Op? A sporting good's store? A stationary store? I'm at a complete loss to find one, given I've never been camping or gone fishing or done any outdoor sporty things.

Honestly, I'm dying for suggestions - and I'm dreading walking into a store and having the sales associates sneer at my silly question (which I'm sure I'll feel silly for asking on here when I get an answer, but it's easier to cover a blushing face when you're sitting in front of a computer :blush:)

Suggestions?

Yes, any sporting goods or camping supply store ought to have them. Fleet Farm, Gander Mtn, Erewhon, LL Bean, Dick's Sporting Goods - anyplace like that ought to carry compasses (anything from inexpensive children's models to more pricey versions).

Yes, any sporting goods or camping supply store ought to have them. Fleet Farm, Gander Mtn, Erewhon, LL Bean, Dick's Sporting Goods - anyplace like that ought to carry compasses (anything from inexpensive children's models to more pricey versions).

Thank you! We don't have any of those here, but I'm ASSuming something like sportchek would have one :smile: Thanks again!

Thank you! We don't have any of those here, but I'm ASSuming something like sportchek would have one :smile: Thanks again!

Oop, sorry, I didn't realize they were all regional stores! But anyplace that would carry tents should have compasses. And while we don't have sportchek, I am guessing they would have them!

If that means you're in the UK, of course you won't have any of the stores mentioned.

Any store that carries outdoor, camping or sporting equipment or hardware will have them. Many department store have sections carrying them also.

If all else fails, ask Captain Peacock. ;)

You could try eBay if you wanted one from China or Bangladesh printed backwards and upside down that points in the wrong direction, but not if you want a real one.

Like the others said a sporting or camping store. If you are in the UK I think Argos sells them, and you would probably be able to get it in John Lewis too.

If all else fails, ask Captain Peacock. ;)

That's my last resort; you know how crotchety he can be when he's in one of moods. ;)

Thanks ladies! I'm actually in Canada (Toronto), but I did find one this afternoon. All went well. :smile:

Ok....am I the only nosey biddy who wants to know why??? :lol:

Glad you got one, OP!!!!

The Boy is actually heading off the States for an internship for the next 4 months (Snooki wah!), and we were all making jokes about getting lost in the city, Home Alone 2 style. Anywho, I bought him an el-cheapo one, to go along with the Banana & topman stuff :graucho: for Christmas.

Ooh, and the supply of Ketchup Lay's chips.

The Boy is actually heading off the States for an internship for the next 4 months (Snooki wah!), and we were all making jokes about getting lost in the city, Home Alone 2 style. Anywho, I bought him an el-cheapo one, to go along with the Banana & topman stuff :graucho: for Christmas.

Ooh, and the supply of Ketchup Lay's chips.

Awww, thats great!! Thats sweet, Cait. I hope he has a great time.