Tech Computer won't shut down

one2many

Dare To Be Different
Jun 8, 2008
Basically it's just that. My computer won't fully shut down. I updated to the new version of Webroot SecureAnywhere on my desktop and laptop both running Vista. Since then I'm having the problem. I've spoken with their customer service and had a tech remotely access the computer. He did a driver update which we thought resolved the problem. But of course it's never that easy. I'm still having the same problem. Any techies on tPF have any advice? I know it's got to be something that it's getting hung up on but what and how can I fix it? Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Yes I'm going to have to contact the Webroot tech again but I'm interested in other opinions.

I'd pull power cord and battery then reboot. It could be a one-time quirk. If not, consider reverting back to an earlier restore point (pre Webroot update) to see if that resolves it.

I'd pull power cord and battery then reboot. It could be a one-time quirk. If not, consider reverting back to an earlier restore point (pre Webroot update) to see if that resolves it.

I did do a system restore but that didn't seem to help. When you say pull the power cord and battery do you mean just unplug the desktop and remove the battery on the laptop? Wouldn't both systems remember the problem?

Yes, I meant if your computer was still on (maybe stuck in a loop) a hard reboot by removing the power sources would at least let it restart. (Sometimes my PCs just get STUCK and I have to force them to reset that way then I don't see the problem again.) If it's a genuine software issue though the problem would persist. You did a system restore from before that software upgrade though so I would like to think that if that patch caused the issue it would be removed with the restore.

Sorry I don't have better advice. Hoping someone else will chime in with a solution for you!

What usually happens is that after the shutting down screen it goes to a black backlit screen and it sits there. So what I do is push and hold the button to shut it off. What I was told is that the new Webroot can over work the drivers if they aren't up to date. I did the driver updates but that's not fixing it. Vista stinks.

Thanks for trying though. I do appreciate any thoughts.

Can you uninstall the webroot program all together? Some programs do not uninstall correctly though.

Also you can check the event log for clues of what had failed around the time of shut down?

Yes, I meant if your computer was still on (maybe stuck in a loop) a hard reboot by removing the power sources would at least let it restart. (Sometimes my PCs just get STUCK and I have to force them to reset that way then I don't see the problem again.) If it's a genuine software issue though the problem would persist. You did a system restore from before that software upgrade though so I would like to think that if that patch caused the issue it would be removed with the restore.

Sorry I don't have better advice. Hoping someone else will chime in with a solution for you!

Webroot has corresponded with me on issue. What is happening is there a conflict when webroot 'touches' non compliant drivers. When new drivers are available that fixes the problem. But often new drivers are not available and which drivers are at fault differ machine by machine. Webroot people say issue has been elevated to the VP level at webroot and they are trying to find a solution at their end.

Until such a solution is found they say it is perfectly safe to simply power off your machine when the monitor turns the dark gray (rather than black)

They say all that is running is the errant drivers. So far, with luck that has worked on my machine. An annoyance but hopefully a minor one.

^^Ah someone who has the same problem as me. Yes I was able to do a tech support remote access and they found a driver to be getting stuck but like you said no new driver updates. So basically we just wait and see if webroot can implement a compatible driver fix in the future. Sad it's not fixed but happy to know what the issue is.

Just wanted you to know that neither of us are alone with this problem. Seems to be mainly occurring on Vista machines. And interesting on my machine does not occur every time that I shut down (though does occur most times).

Haven't worked out any pattern and was advised by technical gurus at my university (I'm retired from the university) that playing around with drivers is not for amateurs. So I'm just going to wait and hope.

I like the low foot print of the software and probably will wait until renewal time occurs to decide whether or not to keep it.

Probably won't be checking this site all that often but just wanted you to know and what I think was your post on yahoo disappeared.

And if webroot can be believed, it is an annoyance not a serious problem, so long as one remembers to power off.

What puzzles me is what evokes it, as it does the problem does not always occur. When i log on for just a few minutes, evoke my e-mail, send a letter or two, and get off, the problem almost never occurs.

I routinely use the same programs (and not use most others) my printer is almost never on, my external speakers are disconnected, when my machine is on all day I probably use the same set of programs all the time, yet sometimes (more often than not) the problem occurs, other times it doesn't.

Sometimes it occurs after secureanywhere has run, other times it doesn't seem to occur (though most often it does). I think the solution will require Sherlock Holmes rather than a software engineer :smile:

Bummer that it's an ongoing problem for users but I'm glad there's an explanation, if not a solution...

So true but I'm happy they see the problem which can hopefully lead to a solution.

And if webroot can be believed, it is an annoyance not a serious problem, so long as one remembers to power off.

What puzzles me is what evokes it, as it does the problem does not always occur. When i log on for just a few minutes, evoke my e-mail, send a letter or two, and get off, the problem almost never occurs.

I routinely use the same programs (and not use most others) my printer is almost never on, my external speakers are disconnected, when my machine is on all day I probably use the same set of programs all the time, yet sometimes (more often than not) the problem occurs, other times it doesn't.

Sometimes it occurs after secureanywhere has run, other times it doesn't seem to occur (though most often it does). I think the solution will require Sherlock Holmes rather than a software engineer :smile:

It's funny because in the beginning the computer would shutdown basically every other time. But now pretty much every time it doesn't shut down. It's a mystery but at least we are not alone and webroot knows.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have spoken to Webroot as recently as today and this is still a problem. My computer (upgrade from Vista to 7) won't shut down completely. Webroot has looked at it twice over the last 3 months but claims it cannot figure out what the problem is.