What do you think of the African (ankara) print trend?

Oct 19, 2007
African Ankara print is becoming more mainstream, it's popping up on frocks, jackets and accessories every where. I've seen pieces at stores like Anthropologies, Asos and many more. What do you ladies think? Are you into it? Own any pieces? Would you ever buy any pieces? Hot or too trendy? Beautiful and Vibrant?

Attachments

• Gwen in Ankara Print.jpg
    Gwen in Ankara Print.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 1,168
  • Fregie in Ankara.jpg
    Fregie in Ankara.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Kellis in Ankara.jpg
    Kellis in Ankara.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 713
  • Alicia Keys In Ankara.jpg
    Alicia Keys In Ankara.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Zebra-Ankara-Skirt-Ladyee- Boutique.jpg
    Zebra-Ankara-Skirt-Ladyee- Boutique.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 1,116
Reactions: papertiger
I agree. The Ankara print is timeless. The pieces can always be worn in the summer or during a vacation. I don't have any, but if I found something that I loved I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I don't consider it something that would go out of style. It isn't the print that would look dated, it is the piece that you pick out. I'm not a fan of Fergie's playsuit, but a classic cut skirt, dress, or jacket in Ankara print would stand the test of time.

I think they are beautiful, but don't think they translate well as a trend. As a trend, it looks silly to see a person wearing something just to look "stylish". These are gorgeous, cultural, artistic pieces and I think that is what they should be worn for. If it perfectly suits the person and they love it as part of their personal style, then that is a better fit for fashion.

I agree. The Ankara print is timeless. The pieces can always be worn in the summer or during a vacation. I don't have any, but if I found something that I loved I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I don't consider it something that would go out of style. It isn't the print that would look dated, it is the piece that you pick out. I'm not a fan of Fergie's playsuit, but a classic cut skirt, dress, or jacket in Ankara print would stand the test of time.

I absolutely agree, re: the piece being dated and the prints remain timeless. I also think certain prints work best for certain pieces. Certainly not a fan of Fergie's jumpsuit either. lol

I think they are beautiful, but don't think they translate well as a trend. As a trend, it looks silly to see a person wearing something just to look "stylish". These are gorgeous, cultural, artistic pieces and I think that is what they should be worn for. If it perfectly suits the person and they love it as part of their personal style, then that is a better fit for fashion.

Absolutely! For some women it's a way of life. Their mothers wore and still wear it, they wore cute little ankara dresses as children and have always had ankara styles in their wardrobes, so very much a part of their personal style. Awesome comment!

Absolutely! For some women it's a way of life. Their mothers wore and still wear it, they wore cute little ankara dresses as children and have always had ankara styles in their wardrobes, so very much a part of their personal style. Awesome comment!

Thanks! I would wear it if I saw the right piece, but it would need to be well-integrated with the rest of outfit and the right style. I'm not a trendy style type of person, so I'd want something that would look like it was meant for me, and not like I'm replicating a runway trend I just saw. I love the yellow dress in the third picture. That would be more "me."