Violent Hair Stylist!!

mary333

O.G.
Mar 27, 2011
I had an experience today while getting my hair cut and colored. I have been going to this hair stylist for over a year. I have referred at least ten friends to her, some who are now regular customers. At one point she lost control of the brush and it hit me in the face before falling on the floor and breaking. She apologized. Then, for the finale, she sliced my chin with her scissor, even though she claimed it was her nail. I held a towel to my face to soak up the blood for the remainder of my hair cut. She was very apologetic and embarrassed. She then charged me full price and accepted my tip. (which I should have never given her) The slice on my chin has been hurting all day. I thought she might call or text later to see how I was but she never did. Please share your thoughts with me. Up until now I have really liked her. My hair has never looked better. Thanks!

Seems like an accident. If you felt you deserved a % off you should have said something or not tipped.
No ones perfect so I wouldn't be too hard on her over it, we all make mistakes. Make sure you use some Neosporin on the cut and make sure it doesn't get infected.

^^agree - i think sometimes accidents just happen. it would have been nice if she offered you a discount but she didn't. if this is the only issue you've had with her i'd let it go. sometimes people just have off days and when someone is working so close to your face stuff it's not out of the realm of possibility for something to happen.

I had an experience today while getting my hair cut and colored. I have been going to this hair stylist for over a year. I have referred at least ten friends to her, some who are now regular customers. At one point she lost control of the brush and it hit me in the face before falling on the floor and breaking. She apologized. Then, for the finale, she sliced my chin with her scissor, even though she claimed it was her nail. I held a towel to my face to soak up the blood for the remainder of my hair cut. She was very apologetic and embarrassed. She then charged me full price and accepted my tip. (which I should have never given her) The slice on my chin has been hurting all day. I thought she might call or text later to see how I was but she never did. Please share your thoughts with me. Up until now I have really liked her. My hair has never looked better. Thanks!
it sounds like an accident, we all have our bad days. I don't think you should have given her a tip though

Sounds like she was being really clumsy. My mom had a hairdresser that got hair color on her handbag. She should have offered to pay to fix it but didn't. Some people aren't great at customer service. She should have offered a discount for the inconvenience it caused you. Glad you didn't get hit in the eye. If she continues to act like that I would not return.

It does sound like an accident---I agree the way she handled it was probably not the best way (if I were her, I would've given you a discount or given you some free sample hair products), but everyone has their bad days.

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it. I was hoping that my hair stylist would have called yesterday to see how my face was but she never did. My chin looks pretty bad but it's not infected. I'll probably give her a second chance since you all seem to feel that mistakes happen. She didn't handle it well but neither did I since I tipped her and acted like I was more concerned for her than I was for myself because she was so embarrassed and I felt badly for her. Thank you!

It was an accident. Still she should have offered you a discount. When you go to a restaurant and they burn your meal, they usually give you a free one. She probably doesn't know that she should have offered you a discount. If I had been her, I would have told you that your next appointment would be free so I wouldn't lose your business.

marcy333 said:
Thank you so much everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it. I was hoping that my hair stylist would have called yesterday to see how my face was but she never did. My chin looks pretty bad but it's not infected. I'll probably give her a second chance since you all seem to feel that mistakes happen. She didn't handle it well but neither did I since I tipped her and acted like I was more concerned for her than I was for myself because she was so embarrassed and I felt badly for her. Thank you!

So why don't you just call them and express your displeasure nicely, and ask for a discount on your next appointment? If they refuse, then you know the type of business they are and may want to consider moving on. Just call and speak up for yourself.

Wow that's crazy.. but I think it's wrong to classify her as "violent" ( I'm sure you didn't mean it that way though)

I sometimes have bad days where I drop things at work or make silly mistakes at uni. I think this was like that.

Although if she wasn't feeling well or really tired (I get like that when I'm tired or ill) maybe she should have stayed home from work..when you deal with people's appearance like she does, you want to be your best at work.

Next time, if you aren't happy with the service for whatever reason, don't tip.
I work with customers and am tipped but you would be surprised that many many people don't. She won't think anything of it or be offended.

You really need to stand up for yourself, politely. It was an accident, but you should let her know that the cut was pretty bad and request a discount for the pain and inconvenience, since you want to go back to her. She seems greedy for not offering you one to begin with then accepting your tip on top of it!

About 12 years ago, before I found my forever stylist, I had my hair cut by a girl who put a huge gash in my forehead with her nail when she was blow drying. She did not say ONE word to acknowledge or apologize for the huge, red scratch that was right in the middle of my forehead. She carried on like nothing happened, as I sat in disbelief. I was about 18 at the time and shy, so I never said anything. I just paid and never went back. I wish I had said something to her and called her out about her lack of manners to at least apologize.

Sometimes I stress over my mistakes, which then leads to more mistakes. Perhaps that's what happened with your hairdresser?

Cutting your face is just horrible though, whether its from nails or scissors. I might consider going elsewhere.