Curling Iron Help!!

Kimm992

O.G.
Jun 9, 2006
Hey guys!

I recently purchased a curling iron because I wanted to start trying to curl my hair for a different look.

The problem is....I just can't figure it out!!!

Everytime I try to use it I just end up with the ends of my hair all kinked and no curl at all.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...I have tried watching a million youtube videos and asking my hair dresser to show me how to do it.

I am pretty sure I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing but I just end up with a kinked end every single time!!!

Any suggestions? Maybe I just got a crappy curling iron??

No I'm just washing my hair, blow drying with my fingers and then curling (or trying to!).

The iron has a clamp...it basically just kinks the ends of my hair where it's clamped and then doesn't do anything at all to the rest of my hair that is rolled around it.

SO frustrating!! Acck!!

No, you want ceramic :yes:
Don't curl the ends. Leave about a 1/4-1/2' sticking out.
Specifically, what iron are you using? Are you using any hairspray on the middle of hair to hold curl?

When you say kink do you mean it crimps? Because if that's the case, I'm guessing you are curling it the wrong way. When you curl your hair you go with the clamp and not against, if that makes sense.

Hmmm I will try the hairspray!

I usually clamp and then pull it down to the end and then curl it backwards....not sure if I'm curling with the clamp or not...

I will try switching it up and using some hairspray and hopefully I will be able to figure it out....this is hilarious....how hard is it to use a curling iron really??!!

Thanks for all the tips!

I agree w/ the above, are you sure you rolling w/ the barrel and clamp and not against?
I'd try a larger barrel . . . did you answer how long your hair is?

I've actually found Lauren Conrad's website to be really helpful in learning how to curl your hair. Like you when I try to curl my hair, the ends are all messed up. Here is the video, I haven't tried it yet cause I need to buy a new curling iron but it looks promising!

Take it back and get a curling rod!!!

It has no clamp and is sooo easy to use. I struggled with this for a long time and the rod was a life saver!!! You literally just wrap the hair around it and it curls from root to tip. You can make the curls are loose or tight as you want!