Home & Garden Problem with Homeowner's Insurance... Help Anyone?

Nov 29, 2006
Hi all,

Almost 2 months ago, we sustained extensive water damage to our house. Two companies have given us estimates on the cost of reconstruction - their quotes were very similar -a couple of hundred dollars difference only, which leads me to believe that the amount quoted is probably very close to the fair market price. Now the insurance company is dragging their feet, claiming the quotes are inflated. I'm wondering what recourse I have to get them to settle the claim - will complaining to the BBB or my state Dept. of Insurance help? I would love some opinions from any lawyers on this board or members who have been successful fighting similar situations. Thanks in advance!!!

If your insurance company doesn't agree with the quotes then I'm guessing they'd suggest one of their approved evaluators should take a look? I'm curious what they think is the next step. They can't just disagree with your estimates (you got two, for cripes sake) and then do nothing...

I work in insurance, not in claims though so I'm not sure how their processes work. I agree with above comment, I'd definitely ask your claims rep what they want you to do - if they have someone they want to use for the repairs? It seems weird that they wouldn't accept your quotes.

Mind if i ask who the company is?

Follow what these ladies say, if no resolve turn them into your states insurance commissioner/division.

It's Balboa Insurance Company. They are re-sending the adjuster back out to our property to go over the details of the estimate with the actual contractor. I think they are just dragging their feet hoping i would just go away or give up... I guess they don't know me :P

OP just BTW this is common protocol with insurance companies. They'll low-ball their impression of what's needed and you'll need to argue your way up to where it needs to be. I'm not saying ALL companies do that but I see it more often than not.

My mom's kitchen is undergoing construction due to water (then mold) damage. The final figure they agreed to with the insurance company was about $8k more than the original number and it took some firm pushing to get there. For example: they originally were covering lower cabinets only (as top cabinets weren't directly damaged) but she went back and pointed out that for resale purposes mismatched cabinets wouldn't work and they insurance company caved. I wish you the best of luck and stick to your guns :biguns: