Shoe dilemma please help...

r.b_boi

O.G.
Jul 17, 2010
Hi everyone,

i'm interested in buying a pair of shoes within the next so all opinions (from men and women) are greatly welcomed and appreciated!

here's my dilemma. i'm infatuated with a pair of python gucci drivers ($930 usd before tax), see the attached picture below. i recently joined a forum geared towards men where i posed the same question. on that forum they tend to be a bit more into the quality of the shoe than the brand, which i am as well. so when i asked them for their opinion many scoffed at the craftsmanship of the gucci driver and suggested i look into other brands, such as john lobb. well, i went through their inventory and found a basic driver available in black, white, brown, and tan ($680 usd before tax). i plan to upgrade my gucci drivers (black, tan and navy) to JLs anyway, so should i forgo the python driver with the wow factor for the better more basic, yet better made driver which i intend to get at some point anyway? if i got the JL driver i could get one more hermes scarf...so this is my dilemma. please help! TIA!!

Attachments

• jldriver copy.jpg
    jldriver copy.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 73
  • ase copy.jpg
    ase copy.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 83
Honestly I don't care for the python. To me the wow factor would be in the brown JL as they simply look well made and that is impressive. And to add a Hermes scarf~that would be wow on top of the wow of the JL. Hope that makes sense, lol. Good luck :smile:

If you are looking to be practical and also get something you needed as a basic shoe anyhow, then the brown would be the most sensible choice.

But, if you want to splurge on yourself for the holidays on something you really admire and would be a luxury purchase, then go with the python. I love python.

i think i may do the JL as i think they would be worth the money over time. I think they would probably hold up better than the gucci. i planned on getting at least on H scarf anyway, this way i can get two...and a shoe tree for them (the driver that is)...

i called the store today and they sent me these pictures of the shoe. the blue and that more natural brown pique my interest as both would allow for a new belt to be factored in. although i am still a bit drawn to the dark brown shown on the website. i think i'll give them a call tomorrow and inquire about that color.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 45
That blue of the middle pic is stunning!

Ok I have to ask and please don't laugh, but do you really only wear "drivers" while driving?

i was thinking the same thing about that blue! i thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me and that amazing blue was actually black.

to answer your question, no i do not wear drivers only when driving. i like the look and feel of the shoe. it's rather relaxed, easy to throw on with jeans and shirt...and more importantly it's not sneakers.

i was thinking the same thing about that blue! i thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me and that amazing blue was actually black.

to answer your question, no i do not wear drivers only when driving. i like the look and feel of the shoe. it's rather relaxed, easy to throw on with jeans and shirt...and more importantly it's not sneakers.

Thanks for answering, to be honest whenever I saw "driving shoes" I always thought they were too nice to only use while driving and I totally agree about them not being sneakers. I'm soooooo not a sneaker person at all and have the hardest time finding shoes to throw on and run around in without looking rather frumpy.

Good luck with your decision, I still really like that blue :smile:

My vote is for the blue JL. That blue is such a unique shade and would look great with jeans. It could be dressed up or down and would allow you many options. Let us know what you choose.

Tomsmom said:
Thanks for answering, to be honest whenever I saw "driving shoes" I always thought they were too nice to only use while driving and I totally agree about them not being sneakers. I'm soooooo not a sneaker person at all and have the hardest time finding shoes to throw on and run around in without looking rather frumpy.

Good luck with your decision, I still really like that blue :smile:

My sentiments exactly...I'm still young, but I've outgrown sneakers. I figure why pay $300+ for shoes that are out of style as quickly as the come in when I can pay the same thing for a better constructed shoe. I'm liking that blue as well...my only concern is of it well mesh well with my mostly black wardrobe. I tend to wear a lot of black cigarette jeans and being color and textures in through my accessories and footwear.