Herbag - which version?

dagnypup

O.G.
Feb 3, 2010
Hello!

I am looking into buying an older Herbag (the 2 in 1 style) and am debating between the backpack or the version with the long shoulder strap.

I was wondering if anyone had the backpack and what they thought? Is it possible to remove the long "backpack" straps and just keep the top handle on the bag?

I am not really a backpack person and am only considering it because I will be traveling in a year or so and thought the backpack straps might be useful. Otherwise, I don't think I would be using them like a traditional backpack.

The other possibility is which size? I do not like to use very large bags and I know for everyday carrying, I would want the PM size. But, the MM size calls to me because I don't really have a nice weekend bag and maybe this could be used as one?

My current lifestyle: stay at home mom of 5 yr old twins. I don't need diaper bags or really carry much other than cell phone, keys, small wallet and a hankie. I don't like heavy bags and my current 'bag" is a wristlet that I just love because I can slip it on my wrist and forget about it while I shop or hold the boys' hands when crossing the street.

I don't travel much (hence the reason for not having a nice weekend bag) and my current handbags include a Dalvy and bolide "style" bags. I also have 3 Loro Piana Globe bags (two large and one small). I like the look of these bags but they are HEAVY and I hate carrying the large ones. I only carry the large ones when the family is going out to a football/soccer game and I need room to carry light jackets, mittens, etc. for the boys. Otherwise, they stay at home and collect dust.

My current fashion style: ladylike, feminine -- skirts, mary janes, pintucks, ruffles...you get the idea. :smile:

And finally, any recommendations on color? My wardrobe foundations are charcoal/black for winter and navy/aqua for spring/summer (but my favorite colors are green and purple). I would LOVE the old navy and the vibrato (sp) that came in purple and blues...but I highly doubt I will find one. So, I am thinking maybe the black and the cream as opposed to the light tan leather. I am worried that the black will look to heavy in the summertime -- and I am supposing this is a spring/summer bag due to the canvas. And, since this is a summertime bag (?) my wardrobe isn't really based on black in the summer....so maybe I should get the tan? :shrugs::shrugs:

I am sorry that I agonize over every decision. I just want to make sure that I know exactly what I want before I part with a penny. :smile:

Thanks!
Dagny

Last edited:
Have you ever carried one before? I only ask because you said you don't like heavy bags and an herbag can get heavy. I bought the herbag pm in the red/orange combo a few years back and I was excited to use it on my trip to Japan. After about a week I was sooooo tired of using it! It got heavy fast! And I kept having to open it up to take out my wallet to pay. At least it has the ball chain connected to the screw otherwise I would have lost that too!
I carry it now and then but I will never take it on a trip again. It just wasn't practical for me. When I use it at home, I do take off the shoulder strap and just use the top handle.
I would say before even choosing a color, see if any consignment stores near you have the style so you can try it out.

The regular old-style Herbag (shoulder or backpack) seems a hassle, as yakusoku.af points out. I think it's gorgeous, mind you, but I would get frustrated fast. My solution was the Cabas Herbag, which has an open top and balances higher on the shoulder, thereby cutting down on the "weight." There are several on ebay to look at. The PM size would be great for you--and you could get it with a light- and dark-colored bag to go through all seasons. There are also Vibrato versions, although those get expensive, I think.

The real difficulty is finding a Cabas Herbag that isn't completely beaten up. I got lucky (I have the PM and GM) in finding mine. Still, mint ones do appear from time to time. The very dark brown color (Ebene) works great with black or navy in my opinion. (It's what I have for the same reasons.) Good luck!

also try the canvas / leather garden party. easy to get in & out. if you're concerned about security just put a bag organizer or plain large pouch for your valuables for peace of mind. i do that to my open top bags. my evelyne gm3 (hea-vy!) has a le sportsac bag inside it.

Yakusoku.af -- I have never seen a Herbag in person (I don't live near a boutique). Thank you for telling me about your trip to Japan! Was it the backpack version that you took? I can see a shoulderbag getting heavy, but I figured the purpose of a backpack was to distribute the weight on both shoulders. I don't have a good back to begin with -- so if this gets really heavy (either verison!) then I might have to nix this idea for a bag for my upcoming trip!

Do you like the bag as just a carry bag? You said that you remove the strap -- are you talking the shoulder strap or the backpack straps?

Thanks!
Dagny
Have you ever carried one before? I only ask because you said you don't like heavy bags and an herbag can get heavy. I bought the herbag pm in the red/orange combo a few years back and I was excited to use it on my trip to Japan. After about a week I was sooooo tired of using it! It got heavy fast! And I kept having to open it up to take out my wallet to pay. At least it has the ball chain connected to the screw otherwise I would have lost that too!
I carry it now and then but I will never take it on a trip again. It just wasn't practical for me. When I use it at home, I do take off the shoulder strap and just use the top handle.
I would say before even choosing a color, see if any consignment stores near you have the style so you can try it out.

Arabesques -- thanks! I know that a lot of previous posters on the forum mention the difficulty in getting into the bag. This doesn't seem like it will be an issue for me because I have other bags that are difficult to get into (and I kind of like that security!). But the weight of the bag is more of an issue because I don't like heavy things and have a bad back to begin with.

Did you go for the Cabas because of the open top -- or because of the weight issue?

I really like your thought of ebene with a light and dark bottom bag -- I will definitely keep a look out for this as a great possibility.

Thanks again!
Dagny

The regular old-style Herbag (shoulder or backpack) seems a hassle, as yakusoku.af points out. I think it's gorgeous, mind you, but I would get frustrated fast. My solution was the Cabas Herbag, which has an open top and balances higher on the shoulder, thereby cutting down on the "weight." There are several on ebay to look at. The PM size would be great for you--and you could get it with a light- and dark-colored bag to go through all seasons. There are also Vibrato versions, although those get expensive, I think.

The real difficulty is finding a Cabas Herbag that isn't completely beaten up. I got lucky (I have the PM and GM) in finding mine. Still, mint ones do appear from time to time. The very dark brown color (Ebene) works great with black or navy in my opinion. (It's what I have for the same reasons.) Good luck!

Baileylab -- Hi! :smile:

I actually had considered the Garden Party for the trip, but decided against it because I also wanted a bag that I could carry around that looked a little formal at times (like a Kelly). The garden party seems kind of casual for this purpose and I didn't know if I would get much use of it otherwise.

I am still considering it, however, because I DO have the Dalvy as a more formal bag... sigh.....I want it ALL!!

:smile:

also try the canvas / leather garden party. easy to get in & out. if you're concerned about security just put a bag organizer or plain large pouch for your valuables for peace of mind. i do that to my open top bags. my evelyne gm3 (hea-vy!) has a le sportsac bag inside it.

Baileylab -- Hi! :smile:

I actually had considered the Garden Party for the trip, but decided against it because I also wanted a bag that I could carry around that looked a little formal at times (like a Kelly). The garden party seems kind of casual for this purpose and I didn't know if I would get much use of it otherwise.

I am still considering it, however, because I DO have the Dalvy as a more formal bag... sigh.....I want it ALL!!

:smile:

i've seen black GPs at events. i'm trying to search pics for you to see. i think a dark colored bag (except when it's huuge) will look a bit formal.

as for me i used to think "one bag do all but nope. so now i always carry a chanel WOC or clutch on my trips and lock the lindy in the luggage.

Thanks! I will check out the socialite thread! :smile:

I admit, however, that I am quite intrigued with the "two-in-one" aspect of the Herbag. Maybe I should get both? :smile:

i've seen black GPs at events. pls check out the socialite thread.

as for me i used to think "one bag do all but nope. so now i always carry a chanel WOC or clutch on my trips and lock the lindy in the luggage.

Thanks! I will check out the socialite thread! :smile:

I admit, however, that I am quite intrigued with the "two-in-one" aspect of the Herbag. Maybe I should get both? :smile:

me too. i love handheld / shoulder and 2 in 1s. but reading how difficult it is to get / put stuff into the herbag (esp when 1 is traveling and with kids, everything has to be quick quick quick!

my go to bag for travel actually is the lindy.

i'm quite fortunate we get inside michelin star restos w/o dressing too formal. once we were in singapore and chanced upon a joel rubouchon (sp) restaurant. the kids & dh were wearing jeans and i was in a navy romper (with ms lindy of course) and we were let in!

found it!! in the all garden party bags thread.

attachment.php

attachment.php

and here's the link. post # 959

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/the-all-leather-garden-party-bags-thread-161431-64.html

found it!! in the all garden party bags thread.

and here's the link. post # 959

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/the-all-leather-garden-party-bags-thread-161431-64.html

Great! Thanks so much.

Tell me about your Lindy -- is it heavy? While I really like the leather and construction of my Loro Piana Globe bags (also handmade) they are so heavy and that is why I don't carry them. This is also the reason why I am not interested in a Birkin.

Part of me wonders if I should just get a cheap-o (but nice looking!) canvas tote for the trip and then buy a PM Herbag for daily carrying? I really like the look of the Herbag -- casual Kelly-esque.

I hate making Hermes decisions. I agonized for days over which Kelly Dog/Kelly Double tour to get. What a headache!! But I did not regret my purchases...so I guess all the agonizing was worth it.

Dagny

Great! Thanks so much.

Tell me about your Lindy -- is it heavy? While I really like the leather and construction of my Loro Piana Globe bags (also handmade) they are so heavy and that is why I don't carry them. This is also the reason why I am not interested in a Birkin.

Part of me wonders if I should just get a cheap-o (but nice looking!) canvas tote for the trip and then buy a PM Herbag for daily carrying? I really like the look of the Herbag -- casual Kelly-esque.

I hate making Hermes decisions. I agonized for days over which Kelly Dog/Kelly Double tour to get. What a headache!! But I did not regret my purchases...so I guess all the agonizing was worth it.

Dagny

you're not alone agonizing! i do the same and sometimes end up with regret purchases (like my evelyne gm3. but now i just double up the strap and tie a twilly on the other end. makes it better.another regret purchase/impulse buy is my 28 BJ plume epsom. the BJ isn't as alive as i hoped it would be.)

i can put a lot of things in my lindy and it still is carry-able. lately i haven't been able to carry heavy bags (age i guess...). at the airport i carry more things (+ lv mm agenda, more makeup) than when i go sightseeing (long wallet, sunnies, envirosax bag, gloss, compact).

and when i feel the lindy is heavy, thanks to the shoulder strap (i have a 34, i heard the 30 has a shorter strap), i just swing it in front and carry it with my arms. but that seldom happens. i also carry the open part facing my waist for security's sake.

i also looove the outside & inside pockets!

i just learned i can buy a big bag (more to my proportions) and not load it up. i learn something new everyday :biggrin:

you can also buy a nice bag and conceal in one of those foldable bags.

i do that with my birkin. last year when i got it i so wanted to use it - at univversal studios, florida. i felt it wasn't appropriate and i'd have a hard time with a handheld bag. so i put my precious in the envirosax and so i happily saw universal studios worry-free!