Completing Canadian International RETURN Forms

CEC.LV4eva

O.G.
Jun 4, 2006
Hi everyone,

I bought something earlier this spring from Europe and the courier was DHL. The product was later found to be defective, I returned it no problems back to the company, but I payed taxes, duties, and brokerage charges from the original shipment.
I spoke with DHL who sent me the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Informal Adjustment Request Form (B2G) to get my money back.
Now my question is in Section 3, it asks for the CBSA Import Receipt Number??? This appears to be a 14 digit number. I called DHL who relayed the responsibility back to the original company who exported the goods (my work time does not coincide with the European clocks... so I can't call them anytime soon).
On my original DHL Express Import Duty and Tax Invoice (the orange sheet), I found 2 numbers with 14 digits. One is called the Control Number and the other is called the Transaction Number. Now which one is it?!??

Thanks and and any info would be much appreciated!

Edit: I just realized that the title of this thread is confusing and not very accurate... sorry :sweatdrop:

This is interesting. I'd like to get up to speed with filling in this exact form too. I don't know what the answer is to your question, though I'm guessing that the transaction # might be the right number. Hopefully somebody who has done this before can weigh in.

This is interesting. I'd like to get up to speed with filling in this exact form too. I don't know what the answer is to your question, though I'm guessing that the transaction # might be the right number. Hopefully somebody who has done this before can weigh in.

Thanks Melisande!!! You're right, I just did some more research and spoke with a senior DHL rep and she said it's the transaction # :yes:

Now I need some help with my form :smile:

Does anybody know what number should be entered in that same field (discussed above) when completing this process for a Net-A-Porter (International site) order?

Since the $s were paid to NAP and not to a courier, is this different? Where would the number be?

^^^ If NAP charged you duties and taxes, they will be the ones to refund it once they get the item(s) back. Unless you paid duties at the door (or while collecting the package at the courier's location).

It usually takes me less than a month (I would say about three weeks from start to finish) to get duties back. Sometimes it's worth shopping via sites or choosing shipping option (JCrew's ground shipping, for example) that collect duties, etc. themselves because they are the ones that refund those in the even of return. Just FYI, my fellow Canadian shoppers.:flowers:

^^^ If NAP charged you duties and taxes, they will be the ones to refund it once they get the item(s) back. Unless you paid duties at the door (or while collecting the package at the courier's location).

No, NAP does not refund the duties and taxes that they charge. It's up to the customer to claim those. The refund that I have received is minus the cost of taxes and duties.

I see. Maybe International site works a little different but in the past, when I purchased something from NAP, it actually shows up on the invoice duties and taxes that they've collected prior to shipping that's why there is never COD when packages get delivered. I had to return something twice and both times purchase price + duties and taxes were refunded to me so I never had to go through the separate forms like I do when I pay duties at the post office.

I see. Maybe International site works a little different but in the past, when I purchased something from NAP, it actually shows up on the invoice duties and taxes that they've collected prior to shipping that's why there is never COD when packages get delivered. I had to return something twice and both times purchase price + duties and taxes were refunded to me so I never had to go through the separate forms like I do when I pay duties at the post office.

Yes, the international site works differently. You're correct that on both sites customs and duties are pre-collected by NAP. However, NAP does not refund these taxes and duties when you have a refund done through the international site and you are outside the European Union. You're correct, however, that the USA site will refund taxes and duties when it issues refunds (again, though, it will only do this for customers in the USA site region -- in this case, it's EU customers who will not receive a full refund).

I've actually contacted NAP with my question, and their Customer Service has promised to get back to me shortly. Hopefully they'll be able to answer my question, but if anybody else has dealt with this issue I'd very much love to hear from you.