Gelish, soak off gel polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this to the Glitter Swatch thread .... but thought I'd put it here too because I found it interesting. tohillary had posted a pic of AFC Chrome glitter over Midnight Caller. This is AFC Chrome glitter over a homemade baby blue (Snow Bunny and one tiny drop of Deep Sea.) I think it looks more similar to ferretkingdom's Up In The Blue with spectraflair than Hillary's Chrome over Midnight Caller. Seems like the under-color changes the look more than I would've thought.

AFC Chrome has so many different colored sparklies! I'm thinking it will look cool over all kinds of colors. Come summer I'm going to try it over Amazon Flirt. That should be blingy. :coolio:

View attachment 1521969

PS Click pic to make bigger - why do I sometimes get the "Attached Thumbnail" box and sometimes I don't????
Hello - how would you say the chrome glitter differs from say, two coats of water fields, or izzy wizzy? I'm thinking of getting chrome glitter, but I also have two large bottles of water field and izzy... which will no doubt last a while.

Chrome and Izzy Wizzy are completely different. Waterfields is the basically the same shade of silver glitter in a clear base, but I don't think that 5 coats of Waterfields would come even close to giving you the complete coverage and holographic sparkle you get from scrubbing the chrome glitter. If I only owned one shade of glitter, chrome would be it.

Hello - how would you say the chrome glitter differs from say, two coats of water fields, or izzy wizzy? I'm thinking of getting chrome glitter, but I also have two large bottles of water field and izzy... which will no doubt last a while.

I've been lurking this thread forever now, and I think I am finally ready to take the plunge and start doing my gelish myself! (I've been getting it done professionally). I'm a huge DIY-er in every other area, so why not nails??!! I love the idea of being able to experiment with colors, and not wait 2 weeks if I happen to do a color/combo I don't like.

That said, I don't really know where to begin in terms of choosing a lamp. I'd rather not spend $329 on a harmony LED lamp if I don't need to...so are there any other GOOD alternatives?? Any specific requirements I should know of when looking for a lamp? Also, is the LED light less damaging to skin than the UV??? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just brand new to this! Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

cross89 said:
I've been lurking this thread forever now, and I think I am finally ready to take the plunge and start doing my gelish myself! (I've been getting it done professionally). I'm a huge DIY-er in every other area, so why not nails??!! I love the idea of being able to experiment with colors, and not wait 2 weeks if I happen to do a color/combo I don't like.

That said, I don't really know where to begin in terms of choosing a lamp. I'd rather not spend $329 on a harmony LED lamp if I don't need to...so are there any other GOOD alternatives?? Any specific requirements I should know of when looking for a lamp? Also, is the LED light less damaging to skin than the UV??? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just brand new to this! Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Lamps have been talked about a lot here. If you search in the upper right corner I'm sure you will find all the info you need and then some! Lol.

There is also multiple SOG threads, including one on LED lamps.

I have a 36 watt CFL UV tunnel lamp I use. I has bought a better LED and really lined it at first but then had issues with the tips curing. Since I wasn't sure it was really curing properly overall I opted to stop using it. Others have had fine luck with them. It's just my personal choice. I had only issue with dark colors also, but I wear mostly dark colors! Lol.

RCM and Gelish have the Pro 45 light in Ulta and Sally's respectively for $50-60 I think. Supposed to cure in 45 seconds. I think it's prob fine if you are going to use all LED cure products, but remember some like lechat and shellac are not LED cure.

HTH

I am also a newbie starting out with Gel polishes. I read that the UV lights are very low in the bad UV's but I felt the same way, I don't want to increase my skin cancer risks or skin aging. I opted for the cheap LED light as a starting point.

I got the portable LED light from Ulta 2 weeks ago because my local Ulta didn't have the pro light in stock. I'm not thrilled with the portable (19.99) light, the battery closure keeps popping out which is a common complaint in the ulta review. I also saw some people had issues with flickering or lights being out. Maybe if you had the plug in adapter the portable light would be better, but then it would cost so close to the pro light (49.99) that I would suggest getting that one either way. I plan on returning my portable light.

Since I got my Pro light in the mail I have done two manicures with the Pro light, so far so good! I like that I don't have to set a timer and it has an auto shut off and has faster curing times. My only issue would be that nail space in the pro light is pretty small, but I was still able to do the four left hand nails and right thumb method on my friend (I think she put her thumb on top of her middle finger to fit them all in). I also did a little extra curing time and like that the pro light is small and light enough that I can tilt it and adjust it to get the tips and any sides a little better. I am not sure how all of the more advanced SOG fans feel about overcuring, I just remember reading about darker colors needing more time and wanted to confirm that the manicure was fully cured. I think it might make it harder to remove but I haven't had problems with that as my nails are really thin/flexible so I get tip lifting eventually.

I think the Ulta pro light is a great starter light and as its suspected that gelish and RCM are owned by the same parent company and produce uncannily identical lights, you should be fine with the cheaper Ulta pro light. (My gelish/geleration supplier mentioned that she thought those two were owned by the same company as well). I already have gotten numerous RCM colors as well as Gellish Samurai and a Jessica Geleration color so am very happy with all of the color options available to me within just those three brands. I cannot say I love all of the RCM colors, a lot of them have midsized glitter and I am more of a opal/shimmer/metallic fan *IF* I even go for sparkle. I had real difficulty finding a nice non glittery pink to do a Pink/White French within the RCM line, I originally got RCM "Tres Chic" but found it to be too sheer of a pink with more obvious glitter specks in it, I then opted for Gelish "Taffeta" and Geleration "Blush". I haven't tried "Blush" yet but liked the Taffeta, its still got a TON of shimmer, but is nice and I could imagine a combo of that one and Blush being perfect for a French.

So far I am not missing the lack of Axxium or Shellac in my line up, I originally thought I would want Axxium foundation for its thicker formula to help my thin bendy nails, but then I found out about the Gelish structure so am very happy with the options with my reasonably priced Pro Light. I think I also just got a coupon for 20% off one product at ulta, so it would only be $40.

...and its official.. I am utterly obsessed with SOG's...

Keep in mind that while some polishes cure via an LED light, those light Still emit UV light.

really, they are ALL UV lights. The difference is the type of bulb (led vs compact fluorescent (or CFL)). LED lights aren't really any safer probably, though it does shorten slightly the time spent in the lamp.

CFL bulbs are supposedly coated to limit the damaging UV rays. I don't know if LED bulbs are as well, but would hope so.

HTH

Chrome and Izzy Wizzy are completely different. Waterfields is the basically the same shade of silver glitter in a clear base, but I don't think that 5 coats of Waterfields would come even close to giving you the complete coverage and holographic sparkle you get from scrubbing the chrome glitter. If I only owned one shade of glitter, chrome would be it.

Yep, what Hillary said .... and the colors in it are amazing. I did it at night, and under my kitchen lights my nails looked like mini disco balls. At first, I was actually thinking it was going to be too much for me, lol! But it's not. Love it.

I am also a newbie starting out with Gel polishes. I read that the UV lights are very low in the bad UV's but I felt the same way, I don't want to increase my skin cancer risks or skin aging. I opted for the cheap LED light as a starting point.

You should understand that both CFL UV lamps and LED UV lamps generate UV light, they just use a different technology to do it. The UV light from an LED UV lamp is more intense and in a more narrow wavelength (450-480nn) than from a CFL UV lamp. If safety is your primary concern, then a CFL UV would be your better bet because there is a good body of research on them; there is little research on the LED UV lamps

You should understand that both CFL UV lamps and LED UV lamps generate UV light, they just use a different technology to do it. The UV light from an LED UV lamp is more intense and in a more narrow wavelength (450-480nn) than from a CFL UV lamp. If safety is your primary concern, then a CFL UV would be your better bet because there is a good body of research on them; there is little research on the LED UV lamps

That's a great point.. I was under the impression that the limited wavelengths a LED bulb produced did not include the harmful wavelengths, but I cannot remember if I actually read that from a credible source. It could just be the reduced time under a lamp (30 seconds vs. 2 minutes) that reduces the UV exposure. One article I found helpful is below:

http://imabeautygeek.com/2011/06/29...-cured-gel-led-cured-gel-and-should-we-worry/

I think your point about the body of research behind CFL bulbs vs. the LED bulbs is very valid. The entire process with LED curing is so new(I think??) and so there could be unforeseen risks. Either way, I am appreciating the technology behind SOGs.

Cross--My dad surprised me a week ago with the Pro LED light from Sallys since I started doing my Mom's nails- its easier to tote around than my large two-handed UV Thermal Spa. So far have not had any problems with it curing light or dark colors. Did my daughter's nails too. I only have gelish products at this time. Should be able to get it for $50.00 or less with a coupon or discount from Sally's or Ulta. (It even survived a fall off the table-the cat was playing with the cord.:smile:.

I never thought I would wear a grey or metalic color and like it. Based off of reviews I read here and pictures, I made the plunge and bought midnight caller since I started off with more pinks, reds, and some glitter coats more for spring and summer. I figured I could layer it under colors if I disliked it.!!! I love it!!! The pictures I have seen do not do it justice. I was afraid it would be streaky. If it was I was going to put a glitter on top. It went on very smoothly and brush strokes are very faint. It changes a lot depending on the lighting.

That's a great point.. I was under the impression that the limited wavelengths a LED bulb produced did not include the harmful wavelengths, but I cannot remember if I actually read that from a credible source. It could just be the reduced time under a lamp (30 seconds vs. 2 minutes) that reduces the UV exposure. One article I found helpful is below:

http://imabeautygeek.com/2011/06/29...-cured-gel-led-cured-gel-and-should-we-worry/

I think your point about the body of research behind CFL bulbs vs. the LED bulbs is very valid. The entire process with LED curing is so new(I think??) and so there could be unforeseen risks. Either way, I am appreciating the technology behind SOGs.

It seems that the reduced time may not reduce UV exposure because the light is more intense and focused. But again, there's no study on that, so it's not clear. There are a couple of really good articles on the science of UV light - http://www.nailsmag.com/article/93494/uv-or-not-uv and http://www.nailsmag.com/article/91808/the-science-of-gels?Page=4

My gelish/geleration supplier mentioned that she thought those two were owned by the same company as well.

Gelish and GELeration are not owned by the same company. GELeration is a trademark of Jessica Cosmetics International Inc., which is not affilated with Hand & Nail Harmony (the "parent" of Gelish). What most of us have surmised and is probably reality is that H&NH private labels the GELeration product for Jessica Cosmetics. This likely accounts for the similarity in the two products, as it is probably the same basic formula with differences in the pigments allowing for the GELeration colors to match the existing regular polish in Jessica's line.

Been very busy and/or on vacation lately, but just had to make a few comments as I get caught up..........

This is a black base with the Sik Custom Paint Chameleon pearl, This pearl pigment is available here

As usual, ferret, you are the pioneer. I love it!!!! The cars with the chameleon paint jobs have always caught my eye, this is great!

The dotting isn't the best but I am happy with it.

This was a pretty manicure, the color was delicate and unique. I know what you mean about the dotting. The dotting tool is good for doing a line of dots in successively smaller sizes, not so great for doing a line of dots all the same size. What I've done is to use glitter from Michaels. I used the ones that come in a size I wanted and applied the glitter pieces one at a time, like I would with rhinestones. It worked well. I actually now prefer doing this to using the rhinestones as there are no actual stones to worry about if they will stay on or not. I just cover them with 2 coats of the top it off to make it smooth.

Every second mani I do seems to be wild/bright/out there and in between I do the quiet/modest/sedate/classy one.

I do the same thing! One attention-getter, and the next one dignified and elegant.

Latest Mani!

photo-2107.jpg

photo-800.jpg

Very nice, how did you do such a nice job on the flowers?

Status
Not open for further replies.