Marcie vs. Paraty. Challenge! And the winner is...

REREsaurus

Leather brrraaiined.
Mar 19, 2007
My dear friend asked for a fair assessment of both the Marcie vs. Paraty. Its a war, I tell you!

Just got both bags, and have been buying bags long enough to know what I like when I like, and what will eventually bother me about a particular bag. So here it goes. (And let me say again, how very awesome both bags are. I'm keeping both and I don't care of all [ok, most...] my bags turn into either a Marcie or Paraty.)

Hardware: The hw on the Marcie is this brushed gold, so even the warmer hues of the gold hw look somewhat muted. So cool, so classy without screaming for attention. Compared to that of the Paraty which has the shiny, bright gold hw. Since all I ever wear is silver and white gold jewelery, I much prefer the hw of the Marcie.

Handles (so important!): The handles of the Paraty are easier for me to carry because they're flat. Unlike that of the rolled handles of the Marcie which make for a "big grab." I would say the rolled handles are even a little bit too big, if even by a few centimeters. Also, I don't know who else has this issue but me, but the Marcie handles don't stay put on my shoulders without some fussing. And even though, the front one usually falls off at some point. The Paraty's handles' drop is too short for me to wear on the shoulder. But that's fine - there's a strap! :idea:

Shoulder strap: Duh! The obvious win here is the Paraty. And the newer Paraty's have that flattened piece in the center which is supposed to allow for easier wearing; but doesn't. Not for me anyways. Still, if I get the Paraty on a good way - it stays.

The opening of both bags are slightly too small for me cause I'm used to huge openings with Balenciaga. But it helps with the Marcie that the zipper comes completely off at one end, meaning it doesn’t have to cinch closed like you think it would. (I only just discovered this today when it popped off and I thought it broke. Taking a closer look, this design is genius). The zipper slides all the way off and you can leave it hanging on just one end. I’ve found with the Paraty, leaving the two sets of side clasps open makes the make smooshier and slightly bigger, meaning easier to get in and out of. So there are ways around the smaller openings for both bags.

Interior of both bags are really nice! Luxurious, even, when compared to Balenciaga (my ex-handbag obsession). Marcie wins b/c the inside of Ash is this lovely green khaki color that compliments the bag very well. Its like a nice surprise when I reach inside my bag. Like: oh! So pretty in here! I don’t use the outside pocket under the flap of Marcie, b/c lets face it – its difficult to reach. But besides that, Marcie has TWO inside pockets (one on each side) which I MUCH prefer to that of the Paraty which only has ONE pocket anywhere.

The outside seams/corners of the Marcie are like that of the Proenza Schoulder PS1. Kinda smashed together and then sewn together and finished with sealant. The seams/corners of the Paraty are sewn inwards and completely “finished.” And I much like finished corners/seams of the Paraty better since there’s less chance for splitting, kwim? But I can see why the Marcie HAD to have open seams, to get the shape of the horseshoe.

Whoa! Look at that! All this time typing and not enough pictures. Sorry for the rant, but hopefully this can help some of you who are deciding between the two...

Bottom-line: GET BOTH. :woot:

Ash Medium Marcie:

IMG_5191.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5183.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5187.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5184.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

Thank you for posting & I never get tired of seeing pictures of bags!!

I really love the interiors of the paraty & marcie. It is just soooo nice - I also love to open my bag & see it!! Some interiors of bags are so ugly that I sold/returned bags that I loved on the outside, but could not stand looking at the interior.

My marcie is coming soon, so I will let you know what I think!

Rere... that Paraty is TDF!! Love love your pics! Ugh... I think you've just successfully added the Paraty to my never ending list!

You look awesome with both GF!! & don't you love the fact of not having to worry about "warmed" handles? :P

Off to plot my next purchase... :graucho: Thanks for the comparison thread!

What a great post!!! Congrats on your two beauties and thnx for sharing. I love ash!!! I want it so bad but I got the large black Marcie instead.

Thank you! The Black Marcie is also very pretty as well, especially with the brushed gold hw. Would love to see yours! I'm a bit confused on size... is the Large much larger than the Medium?

beautiful bags...thanks for posting :love:

Thank you. :graucho:

Thank you for posting & I never get tired of seeing pictures of bags!!

I really love the interiors of the paraty & marcie. It is just soooo nice - I also love to open my bag & see it!! Some interiors of bags are so ugly that I sold/returned bags that I loved on the outside, but could not stand looking at the interior.

My marcie is coming soon, so I will let you know what I think!

beachgirl - these pics were for you. ;) Totally agree about the interiors. So lush especially when compared to that of Balenciaga. Just plain black. All these years I was missing out. I'm pissed I didn't get into Chloe sooner, lol. When does Miss Marcie arrive? :biggrin:

your Bags very great , the colour is hot

Thank you!

Rere... that Paraty is TDF!! Love love your pics! Ugh... I think you've just successfully added the Paraty to my never ending list!

You look awesome with both GF!! & don't you love the fact of not having to worry about "warmed" handles? :P

Off to plot my next purchase... :graucho: Thanks for the comparison thread!

Oogie - thanks for stopping by, sunshine! Dude, both bags are awesome. The paraty I prefer maybe just 0.001% more if anything, but my mind wavers back and forth between the two when I'm faced with a decision of a favorite. I think you'd love the Paraty!

And just say no to warmed handles! I'm done with that. :P

Love the Marcie!! Gorgeous color and love the contrasting handles! Paraty is lovely as well...I just wish they made one with silver hardware as I am not a fan of the gold on this bag.

Scoobie! You know, me too. I was on the fence about my Light Tan with gold hw b/c the tones are so warm, but I really like it. It didn't stop me from ordering a gray colored Paraty though. I figured that the gray and gold would balance out...?

Gorgeous! Congrats on your new bags....They are absolutely lovely. Will you ever buy the other types of marcie like the hobo?

Thank you! Since I just got into Chloe, I haven't had a chance to try on the Hobo yet. But I will do so in the next couple weeks and report back! Is that a bag you're thinking about getting? I love the look of it, just can't get a handle on the size, kwim? Its hard to tell in pics how big it is.

Thank you! The Black Marcie is also very pretty as well, especially with the brushed gold hw. Would love to see yours! I'm a bit confused on size... is the Large much larger than the Medium?

Thank you. :graucho:

beachgirl - these pics were for you. ;) Totally agree about the interiors. So lush especially when compared to that of Balenciaga. Just plain black. All these years I was missing out. I'm pissed I didn't get into Chloe sooner, lol. When does Miss Marcie arrive? :biggrin:

Thank you!!:biggrin: You are so sweet ReResaurus! Your Marcie & Paraty are so beautiful! Wow - the Marcie leather looks so soft & smooshy. I cannot wait to get mine. I returned a few Rebecca Minkoffs with beautiful leather & colors (I hate dash print & xoxo lining, but love her black & white florals & stripes) & a Marc by Marc Jacobs because their interiors gave me a headache - so busy & unattractive. The Chloe linings are just so nice & I just love the material. These bags are so well made all around & I feel so happy wearing them! I never had a Balenciaga. I saw them in Nieman Marcus, but they did not appeal to me personally.

Oh, my Marcie should be coming by mid next week. Have not got shipping conf on it yet, but Nordstrom is great with shipping. I will post pics as soon as I get my bag!