Something Interesting I Found out today...

KawaiiMira

Mood: Blah.
O.G.
Feb 28, 2007
I work at a rather commercial bank as a teller and I overheard a coversation one of my fellow employees had with a customer. This customer, I later found out, works at the local Coach outlet. He asked her what kind of discount she gets for Coach items.

Guess how much.....

65% off at the Outlets and Stores

and

50% off at the department stores who carry Coach (ie. Macy's).

I was like, WTF!?!?! And then immedietly thought of my sister who is looking for a job..... that or I need to befriend a fellow Coach employee...

LOL. Niiiiiiice discount!

Thought I would share that interesting tidbit.

This is not all true, we do NOT get a discount at Dept. Stores. Also, our discount on current full price merchandise is NOT 65% off.

I'm not one to talk about it however, it's a benefit of my job and I do work hard at my job so it pays off. So please, if you want to ask about the real numbers- please do not pm me. I'm sure someone else will say, but when it's wrong- I do correct y'know?

Mind you, we also have an allotment of bags we can purchase- 8-12 a year on current styles. This also goes with accessories so it's not a free for all.

if the discount was that great, you could bet that there would be more of us on here that would work for coach! i would SO drive the hour into atlanta for that discount!!!

...but that's TOO much of a discount. don't most employee discounts anywhere cap off at about 50%?

It makes no sense whatsoever for a department store to give a Coach employee any kind of discount. I think someone was just bragging to impress those who were listening. I think it's a tough job, dealing with people all day always is and deserves any and all the perks that come with it. I think you have to love people as much, if not more, than you love Coach to be able to do it well. Anyone who works for Coach with the sole motivation being a discount on handbags may not end up being very happy in that particular job. IMO.

This is not all true, we do NOT get a discount at Dept. Stores. Also, our discount on current full price merchandise is NOT 65% off.

I'm not one to talk about it however, it's a benefit of my job and I do work hard at my job so it pays off. So please, if you want to ask about the real numbers- please do not pm me. I'm sure someone else will say, but when it's wrong- I do correct y'know?

Well thanks for the correction and I was *NOT* going to PM anyone about the "numbers". Like I said, it was just something I overheard and thought it was *interesting* and wanted to share.

I have worked in retail and have only gotten as high of a discount of 50%, but that was only on certain employee "shop days" during the year (which were only twice a year).

And only now I realize that she might have gotten her "numbers" all wrong as well, but thinking she was a Coach Outlet Manager she would have some sort of credibility to her "bragging", but I guess not.

I guess all the honest people out there have left the building...

:s

Opps.... I waited to long to edit my previous post, so here it goes:

Well thanks for the correction... and I was *NOT* going to PM anyone about the "numbers". Like I said, it was just something I overheard and thought it was interesting and wanted to share. I didn't mean to ruffle up any feathers! :sad: I admit I am gulliable at times and I should know better to believe something sounding too good to be true.

I have worked in retail in the past and have only gotten as high of a discount of 50%, but that was only on certain employee "shop days" during the year (which were only twice a year). And if I recall, I never bought much on those days.

And only now I realize that she might have gotten her "numbers" all wrong as well, but thinking she was a Coach Outlet Manager she would have some sort of credibility to her "bragging", but I guess not...

Again, sorry if I ruffled any feathers or got anyones hopes up... but I don't think I deserved such a cold response either.

:s

That's the rudest thing I've read since I've been a member on this forum.
Others may not feel the same, just my opinion.

Remember you are reading words. It probably came across wrong.

Sprinkles could get in alot of trouble if she said something here that was against her store policy. She helps all of us out ALOT. And I am sure that someone would have had no qualms about sending her a PM asking her to divulge something that her policy would forbid.

It isn't too hard to figure out who some people are. I am sure there are some corporate people that read or are aware of TPF. I think Sprinkles wants to keep her job...

JMHO.

I agree with noshoepolish.... Hard to tell who people are, with only words and a name/avatar to define you... There are managers of Coach stores on the board as well, who knows what other levels of management could just be checking in to see what we're talking about! (I mean... we have seen alot of our ideas in action lately...hmm, if there is a dragonfly bug bag...) So certain information just isn't pertinent to talk about in a public arena... or any arena really... ;) No offense to be taken by anyone...

KawaiiMira - Welcome to tPF!! :smile: Don't get the wrong idea, I appreciate you thinking of us, just take into consideration that employees at most places are not allowed to talk about compensation and benefits as per their agreement with HR... So I think that is where we're coming from, its just a career safeguard thing...
Hope to see lots of pics of your collection!! http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/your-coach-collection-27521.html?highlight=Coach+collection I know being around here will add to it as well! :graucho:

-Can a mod close this thread, if possible?

Where I am employed, the company discount is AMAZINGLY good. But like Sprinkles, I'm not really allowed to discuss numbers. And really, deciding on where to get a job shouldn't depend on a discount... get a job you love! Either way, everyone gets their bags ;)

What was so rude about it? I think you read way more into that than what was intended.
The choice of words, use of uppercase letters and the tone I perceived from what was written, it what came off rude to me.

Once again, what you said is nothing but your own opinion just as what I said is simply mine. The OP's intent may be completely different than what you or I perceived.

it's not rude. when you start talking numbers and discounts, it's inevitable that people get "curious" about it and start doing the "could you buy me x with your discount". jokingly or not, that isn't acceptable. by NO means do i think that was the op's intent, but i would have guaranteed that someone would have pm'ed sprinkles (or asked her here)- and that's not fair to her.

so everyone take a deep breath. no running out to the coach store to pick up applications. ;)

I don't see a need to close this personally. . . as long as everyone can respond like an adult, I think we're fine.
Can we just agre that the written word is impossible to assume tone from and move on w/ the topic?