ABC: Katherine Heigl Staying on Grey's Anatomy

Feb 17, 2007
katherine_heigl.jpg

Katherine Heigl is contractually obligated to remain on Grey's Anatomy despite a dispute over her salary, ABC Television says in a statement released Wednesday.

"Katherine is an integral part of Grey's Anatomy and its success. Fortunately, we have a longterm contract to ensure she?ll be with the show for several years to come," says the statement. "In recognition of her tremendous talent and value to the show, we recently approached Katherine with an offer to raise her compensation significantly above the terms of her current contract. We were surprised to see this gesture reported negatively in the press, and want to reassure fans that she will continue as Izzie Stevens."

On Tuesday, Heigl dropped out of contract talks with the show over salary, a well-placed source told PEOPLE at the time.

"Katie is disappointed and hurt that (producer) Touchstone doesn't value her as much as her other costars, especially Sandra Oh and Isaiah Washington," the source said

Heigl plays Dr. Isobel "Izzie" Stevens on the ABC hit medical drama.

I am glad she is staying too... it is awful to hear about the behind the scenes, especially contract negotiations- many times people really feel snubbed, which is understandable

I love her. Glad she's staying. If only the rest of the cast would be as nice as David Schimmwer, when he gave up some of his higher salary to his co-workers (cast of Friends) so they could all be equally paid the same. What a great guy.

I love her. Glad she's staying. If only the rest of the cast would be as nice as David Schimmwer, when he gave up some of his higher salary to his co-workers (cast of Friends) so they could all be equally paid the same. What a great guy.

wow

he did taht? I never knew but ya that is so nice of him!

He didn't..
He demanded everyone to be paid the same salary (U$1 million per episode) cause he thinks that if everyone is not paid the same amount of money, they gonna resent each other and the whole group is just gonna fall apart..

He is true in a way :smile: as you can see in other series many are quarrelling because of the different pay

Katherine Heigl 'Embarrassed' by Contract Flap

FRIDAY MARCH 02, 2007 08:55 AM EST
By Ellen Tumposky

Katherine Heigl Photo by: MICHAEL GERMANA / GLOBE
katherine_heigl.jpg

The verbal slugfest between Grey's Anatomy's Katherine Heigl and the show's producers has entered a new round, with Heigl zinging her bosses for going public on their salary dispute.

"I am embarrassed that this has become a public matter and disappointed that Touchstone felt it necessary to divulge private employment information," Heigl, 28, said in a statement Thursday.

"I had hoped I would be able to deal with this issue confidentially with my bosses. I dropped out of the renegotiation simply because I wanted to treat myself with the respect I was not getting from them."

But Grey's fans will be happy to know that Heigl, who plays Izzie Stevens on the ABC hit, still loves her character. "No matter how unhappy I am about their decision to respond to this publicly, I continue to be passionate about and committed to this character," she said.

The actress dropped out of contract talks on Tuesday, a well-placed source told PEOPLE at the time, explaining: "Katie is disappointed and hurt that Touchstone doesn't value her as much as her other costars, especially Sandra Oh and Isaiah Washington."

In response, ABC Television said in a statement Wednesday that Heigl wasn't going anywhere: "We have a longterm contract to ensure she'll be with the show for several years to come."

The statement also said that producers had offered Heigl a significantly higher pay package and were "surprised" to see negative press coverage of their gesture.

^^^^ Stuff like this always leaks out. The company puts it out there to try to win favor in their advantage. Of course, the star can counteract and it just gets uglier all around. Hope they're able to resolve the contract issues soon since Izzie is still a vital part of the show.

I am so relieved she is committed to the show. She should be fairly compensated. (whatever the heck that is in TV today) But the show is hugely popular and it really is an ensemble piece and not just about Meredith.
As far as Kate Walsh getting her own show, I think she is taking a huge chance leaving a hit show to gamble on a potentially bad spin off. Izzy is better off where she is.

I hate hearing about this stuff. It ruins the show for me knowing that the plotlines are contingent upon whether these people decide to leave or stay or get greedy or whatever. I am not saying she is getting greedy. I don't know her particulars.

Pay them the same salary - it's an ensemble after all. Well, maybe Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey should get slightly more since it is called Grey's (and her crazy love drama).

The cast needs to stick together like the cast of Friends did. But I'm glad Katherine is staying. I've liked her since "My Father the Hero". I know the movie was gay but I still looooooved that movie anyway.