Food Which alcoholic drink kills you?

nothing in particular, but i considering the last time i had beer i felt really weird and like someone had slipped something in it i can imagine a lot of beer would make me really :throwup:

i had a serious hangover on sunday, but that was probably more to do with quantities and not quite the best food planning on saturday than with what i was drinking (white wine and lonkero, this grape fruit flavoured thing that's about as strong as beer). :shame:

Vodka! Well, if I feel good the day I drink it, it's okay, but otherwise I'll get really sick the next day. And oh, once I got vodka mixed with beer (aparently big in Russia) and that was really disgusting the next day :sick:

Vodka. By itself or mixed with anything. One of my worst hangovers ever came from vodka mixed with cranberry juice. Never again :yucky:

Jager and Goldschlager because, well, they're just disgusting.

Liquid cocaine shots. Blech :yucky:

I can pretty much tolerate anything else.

i'm the lucky girl that doesn't get hangovers! sometimes i feel crappy the next day if i didn't sleep enough, but the alcohol by itself never makes me feel bad the next day.

anything with sour mix usually gives me really bad heartburn if i have more than one, though. too bad amaretto sours are my absolute favorite. i throw up and then i'm ok, though.

anything else...beer, wine, jager, vodka, tequila, rum...i can do whatever. i go to one of the US's top 10 party schools (as rated by playboy and the princeton review) so i've had all kiiiiiinds of things. as far as i can tell, there's no particular kind (or quality) of alcohol that makes me just want to die. usually it's an issue of amount. but i'm always ok the next day (and sometimes still drunk the next day...)

A local restaurant makes their margaritas with grain alcohol. I didn't know that, drank too many and had the worst night of my entire life (including college days). It has been over a year and I still gag at the thought of one.

Rum!! Which sucks since I love mojitos :sad:

The other thing that gets me really sick is any wine from South America. Even a few sips and I wake up the next morning with the worst hangover. It's just weird :shrugs:

Hangovers are usually caused by lack of water and by combining alcohol with sugar.

Margaritas, Cosmos, Mojitos, and other drinks mixed with sugar are killers.

Wine has sugar in it so that can be a problem. Juice is almost liquid sugar so anything with OJ, pineapple juice, etc, is a killer. Cognac, rum, and other alcohols are also naturally sweet. Champagne is especially lethal because the bubbles intensify the effect.

Eating something sweet while drinking presents the same problem. You are just mixing sweet drinks in your tummy instead of in the glass.

All alcohol is dehydrating. So while your body wants water, you are making it want even more. That is why the alcohol hits so hard.

Alcohol is also a vaso-constrictor. That means it shrinks your blood veins or arteries (not sure which - might be both). Thus blood flow is inhibited. That is the reason for the headaches - your head is not getting enough blood.

Aspirin opens the blood flow. That is why it is the best ammunition to use on a headache.

Some of the gals who talked about drinking a small amount of wine and getting horiffic headaches may be allergic to something in the wine, like histamines or sulfer.

How to avoid a hangover:
Don't drink. (Durrrrr)
Don't drink anything sweet. If you like sweet drinks, just have one.
Don't drink while eating sweets.
If you do drink, consume a minimum of 8oz (1/4 litre) of water per shot or ounce of booze. Also drink a huge glass of water just before bed.
Take 2 aspirin just before bed.

Some gals like to have one glass of wine to make them less nervous when first arriving to a social event. If this is you, drink a white wine spritzer instead. (Half white wine, half fizzy water.) The bubbles will make you high faster but you are drinking water and consuming far less alcohol and will have less chance of a headache.

These tricks work.

I learned them from a past boss. I was the Operations Officer and I always hired college students to do the clerical work. So we had someone turning 21 several times a year. My boss would give a speech containing the above to help them survive the ritual bar hopping party with friends on their birthday.

Boss said he learned it while at MIT.

I doubt he learned it in the classroom.