Make Up Must Haves!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Girls whats the must haves when it comes to make-up?? i need some ideas since im new to most make up and want to start having a big collection?

Absolute essentials (generically speaking):
- moisturizer with sunscreen (and a good cleanser too)
- loose powder or blotting papers
- mascara
- lipstick, lipgloss, balm or a lip stain

...for me, the above plus:
- primer for under foundation
- liquid foundation (mineral doesn't work on me)
- concealer for under eye circles and corrections (I am very ruddy, for example)
- blush (and contour)
- eye liner

Hope this helps! Are you looking for specific brands?

Tips: Do you look better with a blue-red tones, or peachy-brown tones, etc? Go through all the colors in that range at counters where you can sample and test them to your heart's content.

Don't go by what the SA shows you on their hand; many times it will look completely different on your own skin! An SA tried a pretty pinky beige color on her skin, and when I tried it, it looked like rust on my MAC NC25 skin! At the beginning, just sample sample and sample all over. Sephora is another great place to try things out without them breathing down your back and the lighting in the stores are pretty good.

My must haves (black hair, brown eyes):
clear red lipstick
black eyeliner
black mascara
yellow tone highlighting eyeshadow
mineral foundation
liquid foundation
eyebrow powder
face primer (I use Smashbox)

smudge brush
eyeshadow "mop" brush

Good brushes I like are: MAC and NARS, Sephora's Pro brushes. I've also got a few brushes I pick up from craft stores, just pick the softest from Loews Cornell.
Most makeup I like are MAC, Dior and Chanel. Revlon and L'Oreal are good to start with because they are affordable and very respectable lines. Good drugstore brushes: Sonia Kashuk and EcoTools.

Absolute essentials (generically speaking):
- moisturizer with sunscreen (and a good cleanser too)
- loose powder or blotting papers
- mascara
- lipstick, lipgloss, balm or a lip stain

...for me, the above plus:
- primer for under foundation
- liquid foundation (mineral doesn't work on me)
- concealer for under eye circles and corrections (I am very ruddy, for example)
- blush (and contour)
- eye liner

Hope this helps! Are you looking for specific brands?

Im not really looking for any type of specific brand i just need ome tips on whats best :/ i know basic make up its when it starts getting complicating with the brushes etc thats wen i get thrown off course. Thanks for your help :smile:

Tips: Do you look better with a blue-red tones, or peachy-brown tones, etc? Go through all the colors in that range at counters where you can sample and test them to your heart's content.

Don't go by what the SA shows you on their hand; many times it will look completely different on your own skin! An SA tried a pretty pinky beige color on her skin, and when I tried it, it looked like rust on my MAC NC25 skin! At the beginning, just sample sample and sample all over. Sephora is another great place to try things out without them breathing down your back and the lighting in the stores are pretty good.

My must haves (black hair, brown eyes):
clear red lipstick
black eyeliner
black mascara
yellow tone highlighting eyeshadow
mineral foundation
liquid foundation
eyebrow powder
face primer (I use Smashbox)

smudge brush
eyeshadow "mop" brush

Good brushes I like are: MAC and NARS, Sephora's Pro brushes. I've also got a few brushes I pick up from craft stores, just pick the softest from Loews Cornell.
Most makeup I like are MAC, Dior and Chanel. Revlon and L'Oreal are good to start with because they are affordable and very respectable lines. Good drugstore brushes: Sonia Kashuk and EcoTools.

Thanks for your response it was very helpful, i know most people use craft store brushes but i wouldnt know what to go for :/ whats a mop brush? Also what would u say is the brushes i need for eyeshadow? Thanks )

Thanks for your response it was very helpful, i know most people use craft store brushes but i wouldnt know what to go for :/ whats a mop brush? Also what would u say is the brushes i need for eyeshadow? Thanks )

Although I'm a tried and true black eyeliner/winged eye person, I like the Loew Cornell 270 Maxine's Mop brushes. They are very good for applying and packing eyeshadows on the lids. I have the 1/4" and 3/8" ones and a much larger one (but don't use as much). The two I mention are pretty nice for picking up eyeshadow and pigments and for packing it on the eyelids. They are similar to the ones like the popular MAC brushes (can't recall the #s, I think one of the MAC is a 239?)

The videos on doing your makeup on YouTube are helpful, there are a lot of experts who take you thru the many kinds of brushes. Others might chime in, it's been a while but I think someone by the name of Panacea? does great videos. There are so many others tho!

Although I'm a tried and true black eyeliner/winged eye person, I like the Loew Cornell 270 Maxine's Mop brushes. They are very good for applying and packing eyeshadows on the lids. I have the 1/4" and 3/8" ones and a much larger one (but don't use as much). The two I mention are pretty nice for picking up eyeshadow and pigments and for packing it on the eyelids. They are similar to the ones like the popular MAC brushes (can't recall the #s, I think one of the MAC is a 239?)

The videos on doing your makeup on YouTube are helpful, there are a lot of experts who take you thru the many kinds of brushes. Others might chime in, it's been a while but I think someone by the name of Panacea? does great videos. There are so many others tho!

Thanks alot ill check her out, i get confused what brush is what there is like soo many and so many names and numbers lol

This is what I use (I don't always use all of it at once though lol):

Moisturizer: I use stuff from The Body Shop

Eyeshadow primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion-I apply it with my finger

Face primer: Monistat Anti-Chafing gel-I apply it with my fingers

Pore-minimizing balm: Benefit the POREfessional-I apply it with a finger

Eyeshadow: I like eyeshadows by Urban Decay and Too Faced-I apply using brushes by MAC, Urban Decay, and ELF

Eyeliner: I don't use it (looks weird with my glasses), but I hear good things about Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner pencils

Brow Gel: Ulta clear brow gel-I apply it with the included wand

Mascara: I don't have a favorite-I apply it with the included wand

Concealer: MAC select cover (but I'm not sure I'm happy with it)-I apply it with my ring finger, but some people use a brush

Foundation: I don't wear it

Finishing Powder: Urban Decay Razor Sharp Ultra Definition Finishing Powder-I apply it with an Urban Decay finishing brush or EcoTools finishing kabuki

Lip liner: I use clear lip liner pencils by urban Decay or L'Oreal

Lipstick: MAC lipsticks-I apply it from the tube, but you can use a brush

Lip Gloss: Various brands, but I really like Urban Decay Lip Junkie, Stila Lip Glaze, and the glosses sold at Bath & Body Works-I just apply it from the tube

Setting Spray: Urban Decay All-Nighter Setting Spray

Eye Makeup Remover: Almay or Sephora brand-I use tissues, cotton balls, and q-tips

Cleanser: Neutrogena Naturals Makeup Removing face wash and The Body Shop tea tree face wash

This is what I use (I don't always use all of it at once though lol):

Moisturizer: I use stuff from The Body Shop

Eyeshadow primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion-I apply it with my finger

Face primer: Monistat Anti-Chafing gel-I apply it with my fingers

Pore-minimizing balm: Benefit the POREfessional-I apply it with a finger

Eyeshadow: I like eyeshadows by Urban Decay and Too Faced-I apply using brushes by MAC, Urban Decay, and ELF

Eyeliner: I don't use it (looks weird with my glasses), but I hear good things about Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner pencils

Brow Gel: Ulta clear brow gel-I apply it with the included wand

Mascara: I don't have a favorite-I apply it with the included wand

Concealer: MAC select cover (but I'm not sure I'm happy with it)-I apply it with my ring finger, but some people use a brush

Foundation: I don't wear it

Finishing Powder: Urban Decay Razor Sharp Ultra Definition Finishing Powder-I apply it with an Urban Decay finishing brush or EcoTools finishing kabuki

Lip liner: I use clear lip liner pencils by urban Decay or L'Oreal

Lipstick: MAC lipsticks-I apply it from the tube, but you can use a brush

Lip Gloss: Various brands, but I really like Urban Decay Lip Junkie, Stila Lip Glaze, and the glosses sold at Bath & Body Works-I just apply it from the tube

Setting Spray: Urban Decay All-Nighter Setting Spray

Eye Makeup Remover: Almay or Sephora brand-I use tissues, cotton balls, and q-tips

Cleanser: Neutrogena Naturals Makeup Removing face wash and The Body Shop tea tree face wash

Ive heard Urban decay book of shadows vol III is good

Status
Not open for further replies.