Two of the H Saddle leathers Natural Barenia & Vache Natural compared Pros VS Cons

I have an incomplete group shot somewhere, but I'll take a better picture tomorrow. I have a VN Birkin that is nearly new aside from some small water spots. I rarely use the bag because I am afraid of spotting and I prefer the look of VN when it's new and blonde so I'm afraid to treat it. I have an Olive Barenia/Toile Kelly that doesn't get as much use as it should. I have a natural Barenia HAC that is pristine. Last, but not least is my well loved natural Barenia Kelly.

I love my Barenia Kelly! I bought it pre-loved and the previous owner had put some rubs on the piping, but in the three or so years I've owned it I haven't inflicted any damage on it. It's a daily wear bag for me... it goes on vacation, to bars, to work, to the pool, in rain, etc. It's been soaked, spilled on, scratched,lip-glossed, Roshi has put his little nose on it.... it looks better than when I first received it. When something gets on it I dampen a paper towel with water and give it a rub down. When the spills are bad (like the mimosa that spilled all over it on Sunday) I saturate the leather pretty thoroughly (kind of scary looking) and it dries evenly and gets rid of any spots.

Here is a super quick phone pic of my very used kelly:
843bec58.jpg

Love your description of your Kelly and how she accompanies you every day, thank you.

Congrats on these well loved beauties, IceEarl, McLoverly and lovely64!

I, too, am a big fan of barenia. Natural barenia has the perfect hand feel and colour imho. Here is a pic of my barenia babies. My kelly has survived rain and teriyaki sauce with no stains. The leather managed to absorb everything after a few days.

attachment.php

I absolutely adore your kelly.... is it a 28? or mini?

Congrats on these well loved beauties, IceEarl, McLoverly and lovely64!

I, too, am a big fan of barenia. Natural barenia has the perfect hand feel and colour imho. Here is a pic of my barenia babies. My kelly has survived rain and teriyaki sauce with no stains. The leather managed to absorb everything after a few days.

attachment.php

I have a 15 year old VN Barenia and would like to add that the handles do darken on her. She is caramel color right now but her handles are considerably darker. Also the corners can become dirty and are hard to clean. Just think of an aging LV Monogram bag and it's dirty trim - that's the look.

I treat her with Hermes saddle baume every few months or so to keep the leather moisturized. The other day I mistakenly placed it in a puddle of water (don't ask). The corners/bottom were soaked all the way through when I noticed it. I thought for sure the water stains would remain there but, nope, they dried and are gone. Like it never happened!

I have my pristine perfect H bags but this is not one of them! There is an elegance to a well worn, loved and broken in Birkin bag - like the old saddles they constantly refurbish. Love it!

sin vergüenza;19984531 said:
I have a 15 year old VN Barenia and would like to add that the handles do darken on her. She is caramel color right now but her handles are considerably darker. Also the corners can become dirty and are hard to clean. Just think of an aging LV Monogram bag and it's dirty trim - that's the look.

I treat her with Hermes saddle baume every few months or so to keep the leather moisturized. The other day I mistakenly placed it in a puddle of water (don't ask). The corners/bottom were soaked all the way through when I noticed it. I thought for sure the water stains would remain there but, nope, they dried and are gone. Like it never happened!

I have my pristine perfect H bags but this is not one of them! There is an elegance to a well worn, loved and broken in Birkin bag - like the old saddles they constantly refurbish. Love it!

Awesome,no water stains... this is because you have taken good care of it and conditioned it well:smile: My older vache natural Bags have gotten to a point when they no longer get water spots and scratches can be rubbed out with a dry finger.

I would definitely prefer Barenia. The hand feel, the color is perfect from the beginning and the over all way it ages. VN is too stiff, too pale and takes a lifetime to achieve the perfect patina. Barenia!

I too prefer Barenia, but VN is really tempting for the fact it will change so much with time...

I always treat mine and I avoid some bad staining by doing so..If you want to have some help..come over to my thread..there is lots of step by step instructions on treating new vache natural as well as upkeeping older vache natural :smile: And of course if you want some cyber hand holding and extra help with your project I'll be available for any questions you may have along the way ;)
Hi docride, thank you so much for posting this, it comes at a timely moment as I am considering buying a 50cm HAC I just saw at the NY store.
I was put off by the pale color (being a guy) but seeing what the patina does to it makes me want to get it...
I am going to check out your thread right now!

Hi docride, thank you so much for posting this, it comes at a timely moment as I am considering buying a 50cm HAC I just saw at the NY store.
I was put off by the pale color (being a guy) but seeing what the patina does to it makes me want to get it...
I am going to check out your thread right now!

I think (the key word here) that Vache Naturel is head and shoulders above barenia, particularly for a structured elegant tote. The paleness and creaminess give it a far more refined look. Further: barenia is so orangey brown that I find it too limiting whereas VN can go sporty to business. I LOVE vache naturel.:smile: