Two of the H Saddle leathers Natural Barenia & Vache Natural compared Pros VS Cons

Personally, I love barenia when it's brand new for it's velvety feel; older barenia is a bit more shiny and smooth than I'd like, not that I'd pass on a barenia bag at any age :biggrin: I love VN more when it's been used and darkened; I would have a harder time learning to love a brand new really really pale VN bag while it goes through its rough stages of water marks and spots. Still, I would not kick any bag in either of these leathers to the curb at all!
ITA. I also feel the same with a new Barenia. I would feel worried all the time. I have one in 35 and I would consider it well patinaed. I bought it that way. Needless to say, I prefer Barenia. Thanks for an interesting topic Doc! Here´s a pic.

Attachments

• P1000933 (800x600).jpg
    P1000933 (800x600).jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,004
I heard vache is not available and obviously Barenia is scarce--anyone know why?
Hmm, yes true about the vache natural...not available and strange that Barenia is scarce i mean that tannery prouces enough fpr Ralph Lauren and other companies... and vache natural is just veg tanned leather..of course finding a perfect skin is always toted as the reason but really! I mean a cown hide is huge and they don't bit and fight with each other like crocodiles do sheesh.. Kick yes but not much biting going on between the bovines... lol So, I think it's more the fact that many folks want their bags to loo a certain way and they often see the little dings in these leathers get even in handling in the boutique meaning the item isn't new or is damaged goods... perhaps H doesn't like messing with that? Just a thought...

Hmm, yes true about the vache natural...not available and strange that Barenia is scarce i mean that tannery prouces enough fpr Ralph Lauren and other companies... and vache natural is just veg tanned leather..of course finding a perfect skin is always toted as the reason but really! I mean a cown hide is huge and they don't bit and fight with each other like crocodiles do sheesh.. Kick yes but not much biting going on between the bovines... lol So, I think it's more the fact that many folks want their bags to loo a certain way and they often see the little dings in these leathers get even in handling in the boutique meaning the item isn't new or is damaged goods... perhaps H doesn't like messing with that? Just a thought...

I tend to agree of what you said, Doc :yes::yes:
Just like when I got my barenia picotin from H boutique in HK, it is the only bag sitting(for long time) in the cabinet, and I think people don't pick it because it already looked like being used, with quite a lot of scratches from handling.
But for me, it is a real treasure :love::love:

I tend to agree of what you said, Doc :yes::yes:
Just like when I got my barenia picotin from H boutique in HK, it is the only bag sitting(for long time) in the cabinet, and I think people don't pick it because it already looked like being used, with quite a lot of scratches from handling.
But for me, it is a real treasure :love::love:

Whoa! I just looked at my answer..geez that's a lot of typos! Really english is my first language...LOL
Yup, I think that's the reason, but congrats to you in finding a very special barenia picotin:smile:

good points. i have been told hermes stores in the US can hardly give away box leather and thats all they want in Europe

I have an incomplete group shot somewhere, but I'll take a better picture tomorrow. I have a VN Birkin that is nearly new aside from some small water spots. I rarely use the bag because I am afraid of spotting and I prefer the look of VN when it's new and blonde so I'm afraid to treat it. I have an Olive Barenia/Toile Kelly that doesn't get as much use as it should. I have a natural Barenia HAC that is pristine. Last, but not least is my well loved natural Barenia Kelly.

I love my Barenia Kelly! I bought it pre-loved and the previous owner had put some rubs on the piping, but in the three or so years I've owned it I haven't inflicted any damage on it. It's a daily wear bag for me... it goes on vacation, to bars, to work, to the pool, in rain, etc. It's been soaked, spilled on, scratched,lip-glossed, Roshi has put his little nose on it.... it looks better than when I first received it. When something gets on it I dampen a paper towel with water and give it a rub down. When the spills are bad (like the mimosa that spilled all over it on Sunday) I saturate the leather pretty thoroughly (kind of scary looking) and it dries evenly and gets rid of any spots.

Here is a super quick phone pic of my very used kelly:
843bec58.jpg

Reactions: wilmi
I tried on a vache natural birkin in a reseller and was surprised how heavy it was, compared to togo/clemence/fjord.

I agree with other comments here about how barenia dries out after being caught in the rain. My olive/toile kelly was soaked on the sides and an hour or two later, you couldn't tell it was wet at all. The only damage was some colour transfer from my jeans on the toile which I know will come out with the magic eraser.

I think the same might be true in Asia? And might apply to any leather which scratches or marks easily?

I think so. Asian customers like pristine looking skins that looks like it's worth the price they paid for it. So clemence, togo, swift....I think it's a cultural thing: people generally aren't keen on second hand things or worn looking things.

I love my Barenia Kelly! I bought it pre-loved and the previous owner had put some rubs on the piping, but in the three or so years I've owned it I haven't inflicted any damage on it. It's a daily wear bag for me... it goes on vacation, to bars, to work, to the pool, in rain, etc. It's been soaked, spilled on, scratched,lip-glossed, Roshi has put his little nose on it.... it looks better than when I first received it. When something gets on it I dampen a paper towel with water and give it a rub down. When the spills are bad (like the mimosa that spilled all over it on Sunday) I saturate the leather pretty thoroughly (kind of scary looking) and it dries evenly and gets rid of any spots.

Here is a super quick phone pic of my very used kelly:
843bec58.jpg

Wow, that's a beautiful bag...