Artsy reveal: Red Coach Rambler

dstalksalot

Rehabbing Coach since 2010
O.G.
Apr 21, 2009
So I have a reveal of a bag that I purchased on ebay for a very decent price. The item was listed in excellent condition, but when it arrived it was littered with pen marks all over the front of the bag. I did not want to send the bag back because it came to me at a decent price and because it was actually a very pretty bag.

So, I decided to be unconventional in my rehab and use it as a canvas.

Here is what I came up with.

Reactions: tealocean
First a couple of Before photos. You can see the degree of hardware oxidation and the pen marks.

Attachments

• red hardware before.jpg
    red hardware before.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 900
  • red rambler 2.jpg
    red rambler 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 880
And the start of my Rehab. First I used my dremel and Wenal polish to fix up the hardware and started my painting. Here are photos on my drawing and color wash. I was SO NERVOUS drawing on this bag. It went against every rehab bone in my Coachie body. I have seen the results of peoples paintings on leather and mostly I hate it. I did not want it to look cheesy.

Attachments

• rambler painting 1.jpg
    rambler painting 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 830
  • red rambler 1.jpg
    red rambler 1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 830
And my finished product after finishing and sealing.

This is an ink and acrylic work. I did several thin watered down layers of paint as directed on leatherworker.net and finished with a sealer also recommended by leatherworker.net. There are several and you can get a few from Tandy.

Attachments

• rambler painting 2.jpg
    rambler painting 2.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,167
  • rambler painting 4.jpg
    rambler painting 4.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • rambler painting 3.jpg
    rambler painting 3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 869
and a close up....you can see all of the tiny dots.

In hind site, I would probably NOT try for a backgrownd, but at the time I wanted the art to some how blend in with the purse.....

Attachments

• red rambler close up.jpg
    red rambler close up.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 917
Reactions: tealocean