Gelish, soak off gel polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone, when I do a Gelish mani, I start by doing my dominant hand first, I'm right handed, so I do my right hand first.. the complete process including top coat and wipe.. then I do my left hand. I also start with pinkie finger first, anyone else have ideas on what works best for them?

No new tips, probably. I always do the same. Did you see the tip about curing 4 fingers and opposite thumb. I'm doing that next time. Still painting 4 dominant fingers first.

Used another coupon and picked up neon purple, neon blue and neon orange... This sale and coupon deal is almost too hard to pass up. I still covet light elegant, elegant wish and I liked the red shade of red roses too, oh my if opi hits a bricks and mortar store I'm up a creek...or orly, even ulta, ESP if the price point is 8-10 ea...

Boy does it ever depend on skintone and you are right it looks nice with hers. It just looks blah or too beige on me, not nearly as bright or pretty as this pic of your mom's. Then too I like sort of in your face kinds of color. I wanted to ask you what you thought of doing a swatch thread of people who had sandwiched regular polish with one of the gels? I just did it with Alter Ego by Opi and French (Base, Sheek, and Top) and have had no bubbling or wrinkling and seems to be holding up great so far and used 2 coats too. Maybe it will peel or chip and I just haven't found the info anywhere yet.

I would say go for it and start a thread of SOG sandwich manis! I have only tried it once and it chipped after 2-3 days. I am too impatient to REALLY let each coat dry, LOL.

Hey, your mom's branching out! Wasn't she the one who didn't like color, and you could only do Light Elegant or Ambience or something nude? Her nails look really nice! Pretty soon they'll look so good she might go for a color! ;)

Yeah, I don't remember her ever wearing polish in all my 30 years until just recently when she wanted me to do them for her. She's already branching out a little, but I am not sure i'll ever get her past light colors and close-to-neutral colors, LOL. But that's OK. this is progress! :smile:

My nails are long too, so I wipe most of the polish off the brush, and sort of swipe the tip of the free edge sideways, and then paint the rest of the nail, so I don't get that thick ridge. Sometimes I get too much on the underside, though, and I get most of it off with an orange stick before curing. Sometimes I don't realize it though until it's too late, so of course I end up picking at that spot a day or two later. :P

Sounds like you do this the same way I do. I do find however that when I don't quite get all of the excess from under the free edge on occasion, *IF* i can manage NOT to pick at that little bump, I NEVER have problems with those edges lifting, LOL. If only I wasn't a picker, i'd do that on purpose, LOL

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Gelish but honestly I haven't laughed this much in years so thought would be great to share it. If you scroll down it says click here to start tour which is how you start it. Absolute hysteria, I guarantee.
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

OMG that was so funny. I laughed so hard I woke my hubby up! he was like, "what the heck are you laughing so hard at at 12 am?!" hehehehehe

That looks great on her. She has such nice nails and cuticles!

Aw, thanks! :smile: I have taught her well. :smile:

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Gelish but honestly I haven't laughed this much in years so thought would be great to share it. If you scroll down it says click here to start tour which is how you start it. Absolute hysteria, I guarantee.
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html
LovLucy... that tour is hysterical. Thx so much, I have so many friends inc myself who are counting points w WW.. I know the link will be a big hit, I can see why many of those recipes will help you not eat more than the recommended portion !

Fooze, the Amazon & Samba colors remind me so much of a watermelon! I bet they would look great somehow together.. maybe use the samba as the base color.. and the amazon as a side swipe? Then throw on some glitter where the two meet, or maybe stick on a decal? Very fun and summery. Thx for sharing what the colors came out like !

No new tips, probably. I always do the same. Did you see the tip about curing 4 fingers and opposite thumb. I'm doing that next time. Still painting 4 dominant fingers first.
Kandy, if you do the four fingers and opposite thumb at the same time I'm thinking that you can muck up one of the fingers when you try to do the thumb? Because they will still be tacky, or vice versa.. thumb first then four opposite fingers.. sometimes I even hit the top of the UV light case when I'm putting my hand in.. AGGHH I'm a clutz.

That's exactly like me! Those tips never lift, until I start messing with them! LOL!
Picking.. I know I'm really good for the first week or so.. but during a meeting.. or while on a boring phone call...or stuck in traffic.. look out ! Anyone have any tips for NOT PICKING? I try to stop when I realize I'm doing it.. but.. those little slight edges are so tempting ! I have this wonderful Amera nail file that's like 20 years old.. which I use to lightly buff down anything pickable. I keep it close by at all times!

For my next mani, I was considering using bella vampire as a base, then use good gossip for the second coat? I like a deep bluish red.. figured the bella would give me the dark purple.. then the good gossip would enhance it to be more of a dark red w blue undertones.. My nails are still on the shorter side, so if I think it comes out OK.. I'll do a pic. But if someone is adventurous, please go for it! I also bought some decals of rose w a leaf.. I thought that would look awesome toward the base of the nail. Maybe on the pinkies or thumbs...

Used another coupon and picked up neon purple, neon blue and neon orange... This sale and coupon deal is almost too hard to pass up. I still covet light elegant, elegant wish and I liked the red shade of red roses too, oh my if opi hits a bricks and mortar store I'm up a creek...or orly, even ulta, ESP if the price point is 8-10 ea...

I agree! I went to Sally's for some acetone and maybe one of the neons. What did I walk out with? All but one neon (they were out of the pink), the gelish starter kit (c' mon, those little bitty bottles are so great for travel), the mini light (again, for travel), and two other colors... Oh and luckily I remembered the acetone. And the free zebra bag of course (actually my friend who was with me convinced the lady to give us 2 b/c we spent so much). At least I got my money's worth out of that coupon! Oh, and the sales girl let me keep my coupon! I suppose that's in case I find the pink at a different store... I'll try to post pics soon of my "Ooba ooba blue" nails. Like another poster mentioned, it took me three coats to get coverage, but it was very easy to apply.

Oh! And just to clarify (this may have been mentioned already) the mini LED light does NOT have faster cure times like the larger one. It's the same as a UV light. And something else I learned from buying the starter kit... The directions on the cleanser say to use it for both cleansing the nail plate as a first step and for cleaning off the tacky layer, even though it is part acetone. I had been under the impression that there were two different products (although I myself just use CND scrubfresh and alcohol). Hope that made sense!

I agree! I went to Sally's for some acetone and maybe one of the neons. What did I walk out with? All but one neon (they were out of the pink), the gelish starter kit (c' mon, those little bitty bottles are so great for travel), the mini light (again, for travel), and two other colors... Oh and luckily I remembered the acetone. And the free zebra bag of course (actually my friend who was with me convinced the lady to give us 2 b/c we spent so much). At least I got my money's worth out of that coupon! Oh, and the sales girl let me keep my coupon! I suppose that's in case I find the pink at a different store... I'll try to post pics soon of my "Ooba ooba blue" nails. Like another poster mentioned, it took me three coats to get coverage, but it was very easy to apply.

Oh! And just to clarify (this may have been mentioned already) the mini LED light does NOT have faster cure times like the larger one. It's the same as a UV light. And something else I learned from buying the starter kit... The directions on the cleanser say to use it for both cleansing the nail plate as a first step and for cleaning off the tacky layer, even though it is part acetone. I had been under the impression that there were two different products (although I myself just use CND scrubfresh and alcohol). Hope that made sense!
Actually the mini bottles are a better buy if they are for personal use, as I find that full size bottles of polish get thick faster, the longer you leave the top off and let the air hit the polish inside, the faster it thickens.. Even for the minis, I always try to at least put the cap back on the bottle asap, even if I don't tighten it right away. I do find that the foundation product thickens quickly if left open too long. And yes, I use the cleanser as first and last step.. I have not bothered to put on my 'readers' to check ingredients in the cleanser, but I bet you can use an cheaper alternative. Also, I find that a paper towel works good as a 'lint free' cloth. I don't use cotton balls.. they have too much lint. I only use the cotton balls for removal of gelish nails w the foil.

Actually the mini bottles are a better buy if they are for personal use, as I find that full size bottles of polish get thick faster, the longer you leave the top off and let the air hit the polish inside, the faster it thickens.. Even for the minis, I always try to at least put the cap back on the bottle asap, even if I don't tighten it right away. I do find that the foundation product thickens quickly if left open too long. And yes, I use the cleanser as first and last step.. I have not bothered to put on my 'readers' to check ingredients in the cleanser, but I bet you can use an cheaper alternative. Also, I find that a paper towel works good as a 'lint free' cloth. I don't use cotton balls.. they have too much lint. I only use the cotton balls for removal of gelish nails w the foil.
Also!! I've used that coupon site for in store and just now for an online purchase. Love to use that $5 savings over and over! For online you use the code 444872 on checkout. http://www.bargainez.com/printable-...ub-card-sally-beauty-supply-printable-coupon/

Fooze, the Amazon & Samba colors remind me so much of a watermelon! I bet they would look great somehow together.. maybe use the samba as the base color.. and the amazon as a side swipe? Then throw on some glitter where the two meet, or maybe stick on a decal? Very fun and summery. Thx for sharing what the colors came out like !

I agree and had the same watermelon thought. I was thinking a french, pink with green tips like watermelon slices or something else. I didnt get too creative because I was just so excited to see them on!

Status
Not open for further replies.