Secret Tips for Caring For Your Celine

Hearing that makes me a little bit afraid to keep it or carry it! I know they say after awhile it obtains a beautiful patina. Hopefully, I can make it through the scratches phase! Let me know how it works on that Camel one!

Don't be afraid to use your beautiful new bag! There are products you can use to help PREVENT scratching, but on unfinished leather it is inevitable. Nevertheless, don't freak yourself out, as most may be surface ones you can rub out with a balm, like Cadillac, or "Apple Leather Care" (referred to below ), or "Colonil" is another product many people use here. Your local shoe/acessory shop may recommend a good product, and I will post about suede later in the week. Remember, it's not china, it is leather, so it is durable enought to USE! Way too pretty to keep boxed up!

Can someone please advise how to take care of the handles or straps parts?

Bags will usually get abrasion easily at these places and the leather will discolour or be rough/flake off...

I'm thinking of waterproofing my black nano to prevent this... Will it work?

IDK if waterproofing helps with that particular issue, but using a conditioner might. Those listed above (Apple, Cadillac, Colonil) have been said to work GREAT for preventative care. Waterproofing is a good idea also, yet for the strap in particular, conditioning is probably going to help prevent any kind of deteroriation, if any. I don't think that is as big of a problem with Celines as, for ex, Bal bags or PS1 bags. However, it could be that these bags are so new we just do not know yet.

Thanks happycanary! If you get a chance, would you mind checking the main ingredients of that conditioner and waterproof stuff? I want to start comparing/contrasting the ingredients in the main conditioners/ waterproofing spary people use, such as the ones you named.

I have tried cadillac at Nordie's b/c my SA had it, and it was FANTASTIC. When I went to purchase some at the top two "ritzy" local leather repair places in town, neither carried it. One had another brand the guy said contained the exact the same ingredients. It is called DYO Leather Balm, and is supposed to "condition, preserve, and waterproof smooth and exotice leathers." I haven't had to use it yet, but it contains: petroleum distilate (whatever that is!)

I really hope so, I know it was a life-saver for me. Thanks for thr acknowledgement!

"Apple Leather Care" - Leather Conditioner - does not list ingredients on the bottle but states "...is specially formulated to gently clean, condition, and preserved finished, exotic, naked and simulated leathers. Its wax-free formulation removes surface dirt and provides water resistance"

Collonil Classic Waterstop + UV Protection - again, exact ingredients not listed. Back of bottle says "All-year round fluorocarbon based multipurpose spray for leather, suede, nubuck and textiles. Brings out the color and the sheen in smooth leather; softens suede and nubuck and deepens their colors.

Prior to using Apple Leather Care I was using Meguiare's leather care (which is actually for auto seats). Meguaire's is thicker than apple and better at getting stains out, but the problem is that it leaves white residue on the stitches if you are treating a dark color purse. Apple is clear and leaves no residue, in addition I have also used it on my Chanel lambskin flap with good results!

Collonil is actually recommended by Mulberry for their bags. I just Collonil-ed my mini luggge today and the spray gave it a nice rich sheen as the bottle said it would!

Don't be afraid to use your beautiful new bag! There are products you can use to help PREVENT scratching, but on unfinished leather it is inevitable. Nevertheless, don't freak yourself out, as most may be surface ones you can rub out with a balm, like Cadillac, or "Apple Leather Care" (referred to below ), or "Colonil" is another product many people use here. Your local shoe/acessory shop may recommend a good product, and I will post about suede later in the week. Remember, it's not china, it is leather, so it is durable enought to USE! Way too pretty to keep boxed up!

IDK if waterproofing helps with that particular issue, but using a conditioner might. Those listed above (Apple, Cadillac, Colonil) have been said to work GREAT for preventative care. Waterproofing is a good idea also, yet for the strap in particular, conditioning is probably going to help prevent any kind of deteroriation, if any. I don't think that is as big of a problem with Celines as, for ex, Bal bags or PS1 bags. However, it could be that these bags are so new we just do not know yet.
So are you saying I should put something on it before I wear it?? If so. what? sorry for all the questions but I am new to this! TIA!!

Do you girls think I should leave my brand new celine bag at the shop for a few days to let the staff spray the waterproof coating etc?

I can't bear to leave it there!

And was told that waterproof coating will actually cause the bag to be more shiny! Is this true?

I really dont wish to it will shine coz i would like to keep the leather as original as possible!

So are you saying I should put something on it before I wear it?? If so. what? sorry for all the questions but I am new to this! TIA!!

I think it is advisable to put some of the below-mentioned products on the bag to help prevent it from signs of wear and also to just improve the overall look of the bag. HOWEVER I have never owned a Box bag so I cannot speak from experience. I would use the "Search" function on the forum and see if you can find out what Box-owners in particular say.

Do you girls think I should leave my brand new celine bag at the shop for a few days to let the staff spray the waterproof coating etc?

I can't bear to leave it there!

And was told that waterproof coating will actually cause the bag to be more shiny! Is this true?

I really dont wish to it will shine coz i would like to keep the leather as original as possible!

I remember one TPFr who bought a Tricolor Mini, I think it was "namie" who had hers waterproofed, and it did NOT change the look of the bag. BUT if these people say it will change the way it looks, and you do not want it to be shiny, then either do not do it, or find someplace who can do it that won't change the appearance. I would be hesitant to have anyone coat my bag with something that would make it look like it had been lacquered or something!

There is a place locally that caries the Apple Cleaner and Conditioner so I went and purchased it yesterday. After my trip to NYC, my orange mini luggage was showing some wear. I used the cleaner first and then followed up with the conditioner. I'm so impressed! My bag looks great. I had a few dirty spots (handles) and it cleaned them right up. I have to say, though, it feels softer now.

I usually use Apple conditioner for moisturizing, Meltonian for cleaning and Vectra for waterproofing. Veltra was recommended by a Chanel SA, I use it on all my bags even my Hermes bags.

Hi, i just use apple garde anti rain and stain repellent spray on my cobalt blue celine and brown spots appear on some areas. :sad: Anyone experience this and is there ways to remove the brown spots?

do you guys spray/proof every handbag? and does one type work on all leathers like chanel lamb, chanel caviar, celine smooth, celine grainy, all hermes leathers and across all colors?

i know you're meant to always test in a small spot in each bag/color etc...but are products usually universally okay for all leathers (not exotics) and all colors?

and how often do you guys do it...is it right away when its new and then once a year or ?

ive never done anything to any of my CC or H or any bags...not even shoes or leather jkts...is that horrible?

I just got my mini burgundy smooth leather luggage tote from barneys new york and because the whole new york has a shortage of the luggage (bergdorf doesn't even have one in their celine section) I grabbed it immediately when I saw it. the SA told me that it came in 10 mins before I bought it so I didn't expect it to be anything but new. but when i got home i found some marks that would be brighter or darker than the most of the bag under different lighting. it also has some textures that look different than the others(looks like the wrinkles on leather) which doesn't show from far. my question is : did that SA lie to me that it might be a returned item? even, is it possible that Barneys new york sell fakes? how do i make them disappear? just tried apple leather care and didn't really work that well...

do you guys spray/proof every handbag? and does one type work on all leathers like chanel lamb, chanel caviar, celine smooth, celine grainy, all hermes leathers and across all colors?

i know you're meant to always test in a small spot in each bag/color etc...but are products usually universally okay for all leathers (not exotics) and all colors?

and how often do you guys do it...is it right away when its new and then once a year or ?

ive never done anything to any of my CC or H or any bags...not even shoes or leather jkts...is that horrible?

I do not treat every bag the same way. I have a few products (cleaners, conditioners, protectors) and I always test a product on a tiny spot on the bag to see results before doing the whole thing. And I know that there are products I use on calf or box leather that I would not use on exotics. I guess the best rule is that there are no rules, and to always always test first.

If I want to waterproof a bag I will treat it when it is new, otherwise I tend to wait until the leather needs a little care and just stick to conditioning it.

I just got my mini burgundy smooth leather luggage tote from barneys new york and because the whole new york has a shortage of the luggage (bergdorf doesn't even have one in their celine section) I grabbed it immediately when I saw it. the SA told me that it came in 10 mins before I bought it so I didn't expect it to be anything but new. but when i got home i found some marks that would be brighter or darker than the most of the bag under different lighting. it also has some textures that look different than the others(looks like the wrinkles on leather) which doesn't show from far. my question is : did that SA lie to me that it might be a returned item? even, is it possible that Barneys new york sell fakes? how do i make them disappear? just tried apple leather care and didn't really work that well...

It is hard to tell if you are describing flaws in the leather or just natural variation. Can you post photos?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53711504@N05/ here are all the pictures some of the pictures has tiny light spots on the leather.. can you also tell me if it's real or not?? thank you so muchh

I'm sure if you bought it from Barney's it is real (and for what it's worth from what I can see in these photos it appears authentic).

There is definitely more variation on the leather than I have seen on the smooth luggage bags before (though all bags have some variation). Some of the marks look like shelf wear (esp. on the bottom), just from being moved around and handled. Strange, if your SA said it just arrived. If conditioning the bag didn't take care of it I'm not sure you can make them disappear entirely.