Harry Puffer/David Radcliffe Slammed For Smoking

Jan 23, 2006

23rd February 2007

Daniel Radcliffe has been slammed by anti-smoking groups for lighting up on stage.

The Harry Potter star, 17, puffs on a cigarette during a special performance of his new show, Equus.

HarryPufferBIG_468x633.jpg

radcliffeBIG2202_468x513.jpg

Divested of his clothes, not to mention the lightning scar on his forehead, this is Harry Potter a million miles from Hogwarts.
Between filming the fifth and sixth Potter movies, 17-year-old Daniel Radcliffe is appearing on the West End stage in a revival of Peter Shaffer's controversial play Equus.

He plays troubled stablehand Alan Strang and is involved in a lengthy nude sex scene with former Holby City actress Joanna Christie.
Radcliffe was clearly keen to impress with his physique, pumping up his slender frame in the gym for seven hours a week.

But whether his young fans will be impressed by his transition from Hermione Granger's boy wizard friend to hunky sex symbol remains to be seen. Websites were receiving e-mails from parents worried about Radcliffe's appearance in the play, which will be open to children despite its explicit adult content

Amanda Sandford from anti-smoking organisation ASH, said: "It is regrettable that he is smoking, whatever the circumstances. He is a role model for young people and if he decided to take up smoking in real life that would be of great concern."

And Radcliffe, who also appears nude in the show at the Gielgud Theatre, could be putting his own health at risk. Mrs Sandford said: "Even though it is an act, nicotine is highly addictive and he could find himself hooked."
2RadcliffeEquus_468x651.jpg

The play opens on Tuesday, 27 February.

Daniel Radcliffe got HOT!

Sorry, *ahem*, I don't really know why parents would want to take their kids to see this because it's obviously not for children.

His character smokes so he smokes. He's obviously a method actor. He's obviously in great shape so if he doesn't continue smoking after the show has wrapped, he should be fine.

I can understand him not wanting to be Harry Potter forever, but as a mom and a HP fan, I wish he would have found another way to express himself and break out of the mold. I also wish that if he was going to go in an extremely different direction that he would have waited until he was finished with HP entirely.

I really don't see the big deal, don't take your kid to see him in this play. He was in Sin City, and I didn't hear people complaining about him then.

I really don't see the big deal, don't take your kid to see him in this play. He was in Sin City, and I didn't hear people complaining about him then.
You're thinking of Elijah Wood, but I see your point. When he played a whiny, sex crazed version of himself on an episode of the HBO show Extras, nobody complained then.

(It was actually quite funny.)

Yeah it was Elijah Wood in Sin City, as for Radcliffe , if its part of the character he is playing i don't see anything wrong with it, he is an actor after all. I read the reviews and apparently he is very good, so good for him, it's a very challenging play he is in.