Tech How to save a you tube video??

tannedsilk

O.G.
May 21, 2008
I keep finding useful information on youtube that I would like to save for future reference. Any ideas how I can save them on my hard drive? I tried savetube & keepvid, neither worked for me. All the searches I have done have results from 20091?!

Any advice/information would be appreciated.

TIA

what i did was just google "how to download a youtube video" and i had to download about 2 different programs until i found one that actually worked.
i have something downloaded called "youtube tv" but i don't know if that's the program i ended up using or not.

This is what i do (if you have a MAC) If you're using Safari, there's an easy way to download YouTube videos. Open the page with the movie and press Command-Option-A, which shows the Activity window. If you're also loading other sites, you'll see a list of them: scroll until you find the YouTube page and click on the arrow to show details about what is being loaded.

You will certainly notice an element whose size is over 0.5MB (most of the time, over 5MB). Double-click on it (even if it is still loading), and Safari will download it. When the download is over, navigate to the file in the Finder (which will probably be called get_video) and add the extension .flv to its name. Now you can play it with VLC or with QuickTime (only if you have Perian installed).

I then use Zamzar to convert it to a mp4 video

Funny... I just learned how to do this. Go to Save Vid. You will need to do a quick download in order to be able to save videos. I started doing this last week and it works great. I have saved tons of videos that I am now able to use for work!

what i did was just google "how to download a youtube video" and i had to download about 2 different programs until i found one that actually worked.
i have something downloaded called "youtube tv" but i don't know if that's the program i ended up using or not.

I've used http://www.zamzar.com/url/ before. Worked for me.

KeepVid has worked for me as well, so I'm surprised. Maybe try accessing the website in another Web browser to see what happens.

This is what i do (if you have a MAC) If you're using Safari, there's an easy way to download YouTube videos. Open the page with the movie and press Command-Option-A, which shows the Activity window. If you're also loading other sites, you'll see a list of them: scroll until you find the YouTube page and click on the arrow to show details about what is being loaded.

You will certainly notice an element whose size is over 0.5MB (most of the time, over 5MB). Double-click on it (even if it is still loading), and Safari will download it. When the download is over, navigate to the file in the Finder (which will probably be called get_video) and add the extension .flv to its name. Now you can play it with VLC or with QuickTime (only if you have Perian installed).

I then use Zamzar to convert it to a mp4 video

Funny... I just learned how to do this. Go to Save Vid. You will need to do a quick download in order to be able to save videos. I started doing this last week and it works great. I have saved tons of videos that I am now able to use for work!

Thank you all so much for taking time out to respond. :ty:

I got this info from a teaching website (http://mrroughton.com/faq.aspx). I haven't tried it yet. If you do, let me know if it works!

"The easiest way to do this is to type the word "Kick" in front of the YouTube address for the video you want. So, if you wanted the incredible video found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxKzuhl8EbM you'd simply go up to the address bar in your browser and add the word kick so you'd now have:
http://www.kickyoutube.com/watch?v=IxKzuhl8EbM.
Follow the new link and download the video in any number of formats. I recommend downloading it as either FLV or MP4. FLVs can be converted to MPG using Pazera Free FLV to AVI and MP4s can be converted in many video editing programs (I use Adobe Premiere Elements)."

If you use Firefox, just search for the DownloadHelper plugin. It'll auto-detect any downloadable videos on the page you're viewing and give you a one-click download ability. Very easy.

in installed real player downloader on my mac so when there's a video streaming on our browser it'll automatically open and can download the video to .flv file but i can convert the file to any other file or media with the real player converter

If you use Firefox, just search for the DownloadHelper plugin. It'll auto-detect any downloadable videos on the page you're viewing and give you a one-click download ability. Very easy.

This is exactly what I was going to say! Some of the plugins convert the video into whatever format you want.